1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe Shenmue is the anwser!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by nascarbryant, Oct 26, 2000.

1. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Okay guys, i have played the japanese Version of Shenmue(and i will also play the us version of shenmue)........as i played the hole game thru i had the opportunity to see a lot of new animations and some old ones .....but improved (jackys beat knuckle)........i wanted to ask you if you gona buy or have already bought shenmue.....look for Ryo's move-list and try to recognize if maybe some of the new animations will belong to a new VFX fighting style!!!!!!!(certanly you will notice some moves that will be implemented to the old characters..(Wrestling-moves............)

P:S I recommend to all of you....this game is a must-have.

brumm,brumm,brumm,......allright!!!!!!!!

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

If you are a member of this board you are probally going to buy this game I bet alot of us (like me) have it preordered already. Come on it is made by YU SUZUKI for Gods sake.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Good game, story is not the best imo... But it's all good, I appreciate the game for what it is. However, I just see it as a new-generation Adventure game. Reminds me of my PC Adventure game days... Only thing is that you can't just click everywhere on screen and hope/images/icons/tongue.gif

I do like the game though. Some people will love it, like it, or hate it... This seems to be Yu's first attempt at a big story-based game... It seems to show in the game itself as well, but it's a beautiful game (but you can't neglect that the game's data is streamed through the memory, hence you get characters that seem to teleport before you, think Sonic R).

4. nascarbryant

sure that looks pretty strange when people beam infront of you(you could think that you watch a star-trek movie).........but even the dreamcast has got his limits........even though Yu promised that in Shenmue2 that will work better.........................but still i want to know if someone does see something special(new-fighting-tecniques in Ryo's repertoire).................................Hey chanchai why don't you like the story (father killed.....investigation...new chinese friends.....cool japanese girlfriend........go to Hong Kong(Chapter2) a new chinese girlfriend..........

brumm,brumm,brumm....no way you can stop me!!!¨¨

5. Chanchai

It's not that I don't like it... it's just that I'm not really into it. There's a difference. Also note that I just said it isn't the best.

However, who knows... it's a saga... many more parts to come... and well, not that I'm crazy about the Star Wars trilogy... but, I didn't really care for the story in "A New Hope" so I took it as an introduction, and I really liked "Empire Strikes Back." As for Episode 1, thank goodness I only expected it to be a reintroduction and not a full-focused content movie, so I wasn't crazy about it, but I wasn't disappointed either (wasn't expecting much except special effects).

As for Shenmue... who knows, Shenmue Chapter 1 can merely be an introduction into what might actually be an engaging story (though the length of Shenmue is quite a bit to make it a long introduction). Besides, the fights in the game are more frequent later on as things are being introduced... You're introduced to the system (in a very long way), the way things work, the combat system, adventure game aspects, etc... I assume chapter 2 will have more content, probably more action, and hopefully it'll have quite a few twists and what not.

Again, I don't personally think Shenmue's first chapter had a bad story, just that it was a sign that a sequel was looming... therefore, it's more of a setup with probably an O.K. story that hopefully is designed to lead to twists, confusion, and some rug-pulling in the later chapters. It's only a first chapter anyways. So I wasn't expecting the story to be that much, but even though I had lower expectations, doesn't mean I'm gonna praise the story. It was alright.

-Chanchai

6. nascarbryant

I agree i also didn't have to great expectations on Episode 1 like you said it's mission was to be an introduction...and for that it was good......but the next two chapters won't have it that easy..........as shenmue it was clearly rushed they were in a hurry(Yu wanted to have more time for that project),clearly his vision of F.R.E.E v.s RPG wasn't accomplished......but the rest was incredible if you look at all that different faces(see Final fantasy8-CG all faces equal ; with long hair short hair),all this details in the different houses.....in your own house you can open everything.........the shading that breaks on different obstacles(at the night it gets longer........all this details, i'm sure VFX will profit of this expiriances that Yu made on this project....
    You know whats strange the first 2CD almost nothing happens and the third almost everthing happens(maybe mister simulation(Yu) wanted to show us how booring interesting life can be.......................
    Hey chanchai did you play and finish the japanese version like i did?will you buy the U.S version

brumm,brumm,brumm,....allright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Chanchai

I have the Jap version, plan to buy the US version (and hope for the soundtrack as well, since it comes with it, well, a partial soundtrack like the other US released Square games).

One thing that I loved that Shenmue did was pay particular attention to hair... this is in the cinematics though, what I'm referring to. It looks more natural than almost anything before it.... like actual strands instead of a cleverly textured mass. I really liked the CG FMV in Final Fantasy 8 in its day, but I had wished the hair was like Shenmue cinimatics. However, Shenmue came out way later and all.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, FREE is the Japanese attempt at a Sierra style Adventure game, except the scope is much huger. However, conceptually the same. To an extent, Shenmue reminds me of the Blade Runner PC game by Westwood. However, again, far greater scope in terms of minor details.

-Chanchai

8. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I HAD the soundtrack...it goes back to the old saying ' never lend ur treasured CD to someone'

Back to Chap 1.
    I love the story mainly due to nozomi's interaction with Ryo. RIGHT at the start of the game, Ryo's dad told Ryo something before his death. And when you finish the game, U'll see that he has TOTALLY forgot about what his dad told him.
    Sad, but it only makes me wanna play the next shenmue RIGHT NOW!

The one thing that strike me as special about this game is the fact everyone who plays the game will get a different experience.

I've had 6 friends who played it, while we do the same events n stuff, we found different secrets, different scences and different ways of solving things.

SummErs' 'REALLY HATE LAW N ECONOMICS EXAMS!!!'
    n' misses his gf VERY MUCH/images/icons/frown.gif