1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MC SFIV sticks/pads preorder

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by PurpGuy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Amazon.com has the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Fightpads and Fightsticks for both the PS3 and the 360 up for preorder here!

The Tournament Edition of the sticks features all Sanwa parts, stick and buttons. The cheaper version has "Arcade quality parts" meaning probably Mad Catz stock. Both have Quick Disconnects.

As for the pads, I'm not really sure what's under the hood.

Amazon is offering free shipping if you preorder these now. Stocks are supposedly extremely limited.

2. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

They only have the white for 360?

3. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    There's a page 2. They have the black (Tournament Edition) and the white (stock edition) for both systems.

4. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

Wow....after just blowing atomic levels of cash on ST:HDR and sticks for the PS3/360 I find these available for pre-order.

I think at this point my paychecks are just going to go straight to Amazon.com .....

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Garghhh, doesn't ship outside the U.S. Someone send me one pleasey /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

6. DarkVincent

DarkVincent Well-Known Member

Damn these look sweet! But yeah, no shipping to outside the U.S :3 I wonder if they will be for sale at Play-Asia or e-bay (for reasonable prices).

I liked the pads too, reminds me of my 6-button Mega-Drive/Genesis controller. I loved that pad to play SF2 Championship Edition!

7. Kidvid711

Kidvid711 Well-Known Member

8. DarkVincent

Btw those who want to import. Play-Asia has them too

9. MarkMan

MarkMan Well-Known Member

The dpad is good.

If you have any questions, post up here...

BTW, in case anyone is wondering....

If anyone cares... here is some data, forgive the quick pics, I didn't have a proper area to lay them out nicely...

Decided to use these 3 for comparison:

[​IMG]

WEIGHT COMPARISON
    1) Official Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition

<ul>[*]6.5 lbs; 2.95 kg[/list]

2) Hori Real Arcade PRO

<ul>[*]5.7 lbs; 2.59 kg[/list]

3) Virtua Stick High Grade

<ul>[*]6.5 lbs; 2.95 kg[/list]

MEASUREMENT COMPARISON
    <u>HEIGHT</u> (measuring from bottom of base to tallest point on panel)

<ul>[*]2.75 inches; 69.85 mm[*]Including Joystick: 5.0 inches; 127 mm[/list]

2) Hori Real Arcade PRO

<ul>[*]2.75 inches; 69.85[*]Including Joystick: 5.0 inches; 127 mm[/list]

<ul>[*]2.25 inches; 57.15 mm[*]Including Joystick: 4.5 inches; 114.30 mm[/list]

<u>VERTICAL LENGTH</u>

<ul>[*]10 inches; 254 mm[/list]

2) Hori Real Arcade PRO

<ul>[*]9.0 inches; 228.60 mm[/list]

<ul>[*]9.5 inches; 241.30 mm[/list]

<u>HORIZONTAL LENGTH</u>

<ul>[*]16 inches; 406.40 mm[/list]

2) Hori Real Arcade PRO

<ul>[*]15.75 inches; 400.05 mm[/list]

<ul>[*]13.75 inches; 349.25 mm[/list]

Here are pics to help you visualize it better (pic measurements shown in inches only):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I can tell that the Sega Saturn pad was used as reference for the design but is it as good/comfy/durable as the SS pad was?

Damn, Amazon ran out of SF4TE sticks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
    I just preordered one from here
    http://store.videogamecentral.com/index.html

It seemed like a pretty legit place /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

11. DarkVincent

There's a review on the Fightpad that says it's as good as the Mega Drive/SS one.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.a...pad-has-arrived

I've pre-ordered my Tournament Edition fightstick from http://www.barnesandnoble.com

Be aware that the 360 version ran out of stock though.

12. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Unless I missed it, that review doesn't say its as good, its says it "aspire to the old Sega Saturn or Sega Genesis style of pad".

Comments like this also don't inspire confidence: "The FightPad's d-pad is sort of a hybrid between an analog stick and digital pad, with the cross floating in a circular space."

From pictures I've seen, on the madcatz the distance between the pad and the contacts looks too large. Hopefully i'm wrong, but i'd expect this to be maybe as good as an ascii pad, but not as good as a saturn pad, especially for tapping motions.

13. DarkVincent

He mentions how he could pull off 4 consecutive Spinning Pile Drivers (360 + P) I held that as a testament to the pad's quality, but yeah what you said may be true. Need close-up pictures from the side of the pad to know for sure.

I know someone who has a pad, also by Mad Catz I think, from SF 15 years anniversary. My only problem with that one is the way they positioned everything, but no problems with the pad itself.

14. MarkMan

MarkMan Well-Known Member

Mad Catz didn't make the 15th anniversary pad. That was Nubytech.

IMO while a lot of inspiration is drawn from the Saturn pad, the dpad feels a lot different. It is smoother when doing circular motions and not as stiff.

It plays like butter though and works really well in SF games.

15. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Dude, I know people got you going crazy all over the web with questions(Neogaf, SRK, Tekken etc..)But why did Madcatz go with the white boarders on the stick? Why not all black? I'm going to spray can it real quick when I get it. BTW, congrats on the final product.

16. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
  17. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Here's a video of a dude talking about the sticks and the pads.

And he has a stick that's opened up and talks a lil bout the inside of em and how they are mod friendly, even for people who never modded a stick before.

http://ces.gamespot.com/video.html?sid=6202965

18. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

19. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Here's a video with two peeps standing next to each other holding the sticks up:

http://gear.ign.com/dor/articles/943393/...es2009sync.html

After watching this, I changed my order to the Standard Edition. The TE is frikkin HUGE! If you've got a table or something to play it on then it should be fine, but for sitting around on a couch or in bed with the stick in your lap, it seems like the standard would be much more comfortable.

It's still got quick disconnects, and I've got a full set of Sanwas waiting to go into it. That'll be good enough for me.

20. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

It's comfortable to play a VSHG or HRAP on your lap, I prefer a table but having them on my lap doesn't make a difference. That SF4 stick looks similiar in dimensions and weight from the pics markman posted, so i'm guessing it should be fine playing with that stick on your lap.