1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Me using Sarah

Discussion in 'Sarah' started by Kagamizen, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    tips?

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  2. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    Can I ask how new to VF are you? I wasn't seeing anything I could really comment on in terms of proper VF play because it looked you guys may be a little unfamiliar with VF.

Not trying to be a dick, but I can only really offer advice if I know what your experience level is.

3. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Yay, more Sarah players :D

Thanks for coming here to ask for tips, it's great to see players seeking to improve. I''m not the best (yet), but i'll give you my opinion.

That being said, it seems like both of you in the video are pretty new into VF. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, everyone of us started somewhere. But neither of you were 'playing VF' or using much of the game's fundamentals, rather.

The good points:
    ==You were very aggressive with offense (that is what makes Sarah a scary opponent).
    ==You had decent combos that did good damage.

The bad points: The TL;DR of it is that you neither of you guys know the basic fundamentals. Go to the wiki and learn.

==LEARN OKIZEME AND HOW TO DO MEATIES after you knock your opponent down. That is pretty much central to playing a good Sarah

==Round start of the first match, the first move you do is 9K. 9K is a 20-frame (really slow) move that is both launchable on evade and punishable on block. Now there's nothing wrong with using whatever move you want, whenever you want in fighting games, as long as you know the risks involved. When it comes to round start ("round x, READY! GO!"), SPEED is what usually wins, and a more experienced player would either block, elbow, 2P, High Punch, Evade-->ECD, or used some other attack with 15 frame start up or less, and all of that would have beaten your 9K. Heck, even a launcher would have beaten your 9K for 1/3rd to half your life in Counter Hit damage.

==Neither of you ever used evade/sidestep. You guys were playing a 2D game, rather than a 3D one. Evade is definitely NOT always the right answer, but if you never evade at all, you open yourself up to being forced to deal with mixups that you normally wouldn't have to.

==VF is all about exploiting habits. That's pretty much the core of the game right there. Its important because there are so many different options that your opponents can use at any given moment (evade, backdash, block, fuzzy guard, attack, low attack, counter, throw, sabaki, etc). If you're not spending time in your matches looking for patterns in what your opponent commonly does most often and blowing him/her up for it, you will be spending alot of your time guessing each turn, particularly when its your turn to be on defense. In defense, it either means you will be making hard read guesses all the time and getting hit for it WAY more often than you should, OR you will sit there and block until you feel like its safe to press buttons again. I often saw the later.

For example, watching your Sarah, I one habit I noticed was that you had pretty much ALWAYS finished your strings, especially in Flamingo Stance. Armed with that knowledge, if that was me playing against you, I could just sit and block until you do a long string (SOME of Sarah's mixups are hard to see and block, but not the ones you used in that video), and when I see something I can evade/crouch block for a free launcher combo punish. I'd do that and it would work on you, guaranteed. Another habit you had was that you didn't have a problem throwing out punishable moves, such as 9K+GPPK, 7K, and those long strings you'd finish until the end.

The point of that last paragraph was NOT to tell you to never finish your strings or don't use punishable attacks at all. The point I was making was that you should be sure to mix things up. Don't be so predictable. Delay some of your string attacks, finish your string sometimes but not all the time, and have a plan for all of your decisions. That being said, you can play any way you want in VF, as long as you know the risks. And since your seemingly inexperienced Akira opponent let you get away with many of the exploitable strategies you used, as well as let you win, your style of play was perfectly ok against him/her. However, you will need to learn to play differently against a better opponent, or they will blow you up.

==After you do half-circle forward throw and your opponent hits the wall, you can get nearly half life damage off of your opponent if you immediately hit 1K and do the 3K down hit/soccer ball kick. That works on almost every character.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Ellis and Tha_FeauchA like this.
  4. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    I am no stranger to VF but VF5 was the only one I really dived into and tried to be good at. I usually Pai then i picked up sarah cause i was having trouble beating her. "Learn thy enemy" and so on.

@BLACKSTAR i have bunch of sarah replays i saved. I noticed the multiple bad habits of mine as well and tried to improve that. 9K became a habit cause a bunch of people i fought would do nothing but Crouching jabs and 9K goes over that. Finishing combos also formed from playing online for the same.

5. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Yeah, upload more if you want us to critique.

Also, about your habits, its perfectly logical and understandable, because many of those same habits I have had before or still have now (such as freezing up on defense), so I can call it out easy. Like how you pointed out the reason you use 9K to blow up 2Ps and such, a big reason its easy to fall into bad habits is because opponent skill overall in the west is kind of low for VF imo, of course with exception to the top players.

6. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    here are some more vids.

thanks in advance for the tips

7. BeastEG

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    As @BLACKSTAR mentioned, I would highly recommend checking out the wiki and getting more of the fundamentals down.

My first recommendation would be to use more "pokes" instead of strings as mentioned before. Simple things like [P] -> [6][P] can go a long way when learning.

8. BeastEG

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    While I'm certainly not the best Sarah, @Elite and many others can attest to this, but I think learning basic VF (something I'm doing right now) and more simple things might be better in terms of upping your play. Here are some things to consider

1) Combos: Sarah's got relatively easy combos once you learn the basics of her combo sequences. Loading up optimized combos are absolutely critical when first learning VF as squeezing out all the damage you can is necessary. I would highly recommend checking out the combo's section of VFDC, which can be found here:

http://virtuafighter.com/combos/index.php?ver=5fsa&chara=sarah

2) Frames (In general along with attack type and so forth): It is absolutely critical to get frames down (not every single one at once, but slowly learn your own moves frames, then work towards learning other characters.) Many people will say, "It's all muscle memory," or, "Pssh, I'm GODLIKE without frames" but knowing frames allows you to only adapt on the fly (I know this guy is +1 in this situation so what are my options) and they can inform you as to the best things to use.

2.1) Frames will also tell you the situation and the moves you should consider:
    A: If you are +1 to +5, you have a general advantage that will let you use basic moves pretty safely. Your opponent can use what's called a "fuzzy guard" [3][3]x[G] (it's covered in the tutorial) to successfully duck a throw and block a mid. Figuring out to deal with this situation is critical. In general, the easiest way to get a +2 advantage is to force your opponent to block a standing [P]

B: If you are +6 to +9, you are in what is generally referred to as "Nitaku." We have a wiki as well that describes all of these situations. This is when fuzzy guard will fail to duck a throw, so generally, the opponent has to guess between whether you will use a mid attack or use a throw. When in these situations, the most general mix-up would be between any of Sarah's throws and Sarah's [3][P]+[K]. This attack is 16 frames, so at +6 is 10 frames and will beat out nearly any attack, giving you a CH which leads into nice damage.

If your opponent attempts to block or dodge, you should go for a throw. It's a guess, but it is part of the game.

C: +10 and above, now we are talking punishment territory.

3) PUNISHMENT with Sarah is important. I would argue it's near imperative to learn it effectively as you need to get all the guaranteed damage you can get. Any move that leaves you at +10 or above AND LEAVES THE OPPONENT WITH NO OTHER OPTION means guaranteed something. With Sarah, +10 to +11 should be guaranteed throw attempts in general and +12 and above should be guaranteed attacks.

4) Dojo is where you should spend a lot of time early on learning your character.

If you want, feel free to add me on PSN. I have a mic and if you do too, I'd be happy to walk you through a lot of Sarah things. I'm intermediate at best, but it should at least give you a better understanding as to some of the stuff Sarah can do

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I watched your other videos, and the only advice I can give you is to play better opponents. The guys you played here straight up let you get away with first-degree murder with no problem. You won't get better because you won't learn anything playing guys of this skill level. Not trying to diss. But these guys wont teach you anything or force you to make intelligent decisions

10. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    @Kagamizen Add some of us in this thread to you friends list. You'd probably learn a lot more from playing strong opponents than you would from playing weak opponents and having someone critique it.

All the guys that have commented in this thread are fairly strong. And we are always willing to help :D

11. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    all right. I will definitely be adding you guys to my PSN soon. work has been keeping me busy