1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Meaty: Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by social_ruin, Oct 11, 2013.

1. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

I am having trouble effectively using meaties. A brief synopsis of when and where to use these would be greatly appreciated.

*When do they work (i.e. what must my opponent be doing on wake-up to do a meaty)?

*How strong must the meaty be (damage threshold)?

*Can a meaty be ducked on wake-up?

*Can a meaty be evaded on wake-up?

*Blocked?

*Sabaki'd or reversed?

*How does my opponent combat a good meaty like wolf's big chop or goh's charged 4p+k?

*Do meaties beat low/high rising attacks (the recovery kicks)?

Thanks all. Any help or clarification is appreciated.

2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i

I personally look at meaties like this:

Meaties are attacks that are used in okizeme/on knocked down opponents to punish their (for lack of a better term) 'getting up' animation or wake-up kick attack.

Technically, any attack on your movelist can be used as a meaty attack, but the most effective/commonly used meaty attacks 1) hit Mid-level, 2) does 21 damage or more, 3) launches your opponent or causes knockdown, and 4) is -9 or less on block.

Long story short, you put your opponent on his/her back via knockdown and keep knocking them back down (often alongside with a high damage combo). If you watch/play/hear about SF4, meaties are analgous to creating 'vortex' situations, like Akuma or (iirc) Ibuki in SF4.

The key to meaties is yomi and timing. A common example of using meaties is after a sweep. When u successfully sweep your opponent, when your character returns to their normal standing stance, your opponent is still on the floor, trying to get off the ground. Of course, this leads to a situation where you have alot of frame advantage over your grounded opponent -- more than enough time to use an attack.

Now normally, its best its best to respect your knocked down opponent and block or backdash, WHILE WATCHING HOW YOUR OPPONENT GETS BACK UP. Blocking is a good option because you can block a wakeup kick on reaction. Backdashing is good, because it is the safest of all okizeme options, especially important for the end of a round when your life is low. The IMPORTANT THING to do while using these options is watch how your opponent gets up; you notice any predictable patterns (opponent always techs off the ground, they always use wakeup kicks) then now you know its a great time to use meaties!

The weakness of meaties is the fact that your opponent can vary the timing of when they can return to their feet with various options (laying on the ground without rolling, using different rolls, when they use or not use wakeup kick, teching). Mistiming a meaty, or simply throwing one out without thinking can cause you to whiff (which sometimes you can be punished for). Noticing and taking advantage of any pattern in how your opponent gets off the ground eliminates this problem.

Tricky likes this.
  3. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    The meaty is used on an opponent who tech roll (fall recovery [P][+][K][+][G]/[2] or[8][P][+][K][+][G]): your opponent has to guard ( the meaty hits him in any other case: sabaki, escape, attack); to make him tech you can use the "not guaranted combos" on the ground.
    The meaty will hit in neutral hit, so any starter on neutral is the better choice ( for Goh you've got [4][P][+][K], [3][K])
    About the solution against charged ones like Goh [4][P][+][K] you just guard and DM the charged versions).
    Against opponent who can defend against meatys you can throw, try guard break or hit throw (like Goh's[6][6][K][+][G] [P][+][G])

Elite likes this.
  4. social_ruin

THanks guys. So i'm gathering that you can technically do a meaty on any wake then (whether they attack or tech or whatever) but of course they have their inherent risks/rewards.
    nowhere--goh's 4p+k charge is a guard break, i don't know whether that was a typo or just a misinterpretation of that sentence by me.

Quick verification: So meaty attack CAN BE EVADED? I thought the frames worked such that they could not.

Another question of sorts: I've noticed when i play and tech roll up/down (side rolls) that when i stand up i simply cannot evade and/or block attacks at all. I.e. i get hit by linears whether i try to evade or block. Is this then not gauranteed/intended? It might just be online play at its finest (also possibly input latency via my flatscreen TV)? <--i am guessing so, since in a related note i find when i try and punish yomi'd throws with launcher (vs obvious play patterns) that i invariably get thrown regardless :(

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    It's only for when they tech the knockdown, and if you time it correctly then no, they can't evade.

Nowhere's post is pretty spot on.

6. no_w_h_ere

XBL:
    nowhere0
    The non charged one is a meaty too, you can play with the different charged versions to mess up the DM of your opponent ( because of the max version against the guard+yutori option).

7. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Answering some OP questions:

*Can a meaty be ducked on wake-up? Can a meaty be evaded on wake-up? Blocked?
    --IIRC, when your opponent gets up off the ground, there are 3 frames where they can do NOTHING except high/low guard or sabaki/counter. This occurs specifically off a tech, and (I think) off a wakeup kick-less roll. When they get up/tech in place, they are in this state while standing (good for throws and lows) and if they roll/tech to the side, they are in this state crouching. If they try to evade at either of these points, they will get hit by CH.
    NOTE: no matter if they roll or stand in place, they can ALWAYS block high and low from the first frame. The previous sentences cover mainly when they try to do something EXCEPT block.

*Sabaki'd or reversed?
    If your opponent has a sabaki/counter that works from the first frame, tben they can use this as well as block, as soon as wakeup invincibility frames wear off.

*How does my opponent combat a good meaty like wolf's big chop or goh's charged 4p+k?
    --Sabaki, counter, or dont tech.

*Do meaties beat low/high rising attacks (the recovery kicks)?
    --If the meaty is 21 damage or greater.

EDIT: @kingo proved me wrong and showed that Sabaki's/Inashi's DON'T work on meaties.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Tricky likes this.
  8. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    If your opponent can DM/evade your meaty, then its not a real meaty.

9. no_w_h_ere

XBL:
    nowhere0
    I meant if they expect the charged versions and try to DM they eat the meaty.

10. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I call those Wheaties and they have a place in oki game plans too.

11. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I think you missed my point. If the attack used on wakeup is timed correctly, they can't evade. At all. Its totally impossible. And if they try, they will get CH'd.

If they are able to, then its not a meaty setup. The particular setup you mention is a really good setup, dont get me wrong, but dont get confused and call it a meaty. Its more like a trap exploiting a failed meaty setup.

Tricky likes this.
  12. no_w_h_ere

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Yes I think I didn't explain very well : if you try to do something else than guard then you eat the meaty.
    I don't really get the meaty setup thing : On the wake up after fall recovery of your opponent it's a guessing game, your opponent can either guard or do something else:

So as an example with Goh's 4P+K:

1 : My opponent won't guard and try something else : I do 4P+K ( you're right it has to be well timed to be a meaty).

2 : I think he will guard + lazy TE = I charge the 4P+K= second guessing game = I think he will try to interrupt the max guard break version--> I do a slightly charged = launcher, If not then full charged (and hoping he'll miss the DM ^^").

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  13. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i

Dat yomi within the yomi tech :D

14. no_w_h_ere

XBL:
    nowhere0
    The charged setup can be used outside of meaty too, sadly as a meaty I rarely use it, I seem to be stuck with my 3K ^^".

15. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Same thing with the sabaki / counter, if your opponent can reverse or sabaki the move, it's not a meaty.

16. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    i believe they can sabaki and counter on the first frame after invincibility, just like they can block on the first frame. I'll test it tonight

17. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I think sabaki's won't work from the 1 frame after invisibility but counters def seem to work. Might depend on the properties of the sabaki

18. social_ruin

That tricky! Just when u thought his eileen couldn't get trickier, now he figured out how to make her invisible...curses!!!

Tricky likes this.
  19. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Aoi cannot reverse true meaties. And true meaties cannot CH either. NH or guard.

Manjimaru likes this.
  20. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Some counters seem to work, but I haven't tested completely (Brad's mid-kick counter)

Tricky likes this.