1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Melbourne Games 2001 : The new challenger

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SummAh, Apr 30, 2001.

1. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Last year....through dumb luck..I managed to organised a SMALL VF gathering in melbourne. From it...I managed to make two new friends; Myke n {doomboy}

This yr...AGAIN THROUGH DUMB LUCK, I hosted another small VF gathering. This time...there were only three players...myself, Doomboy and our much valued visitor, Dickson.

Unknown to many on this board, Dickson is from Hongkong. Friend to the famed "Jo shun"...he was kind enough to stop by at Melbourne for one night after attending a business conference in Brisbane.

Dickson has never been to Melbourne b4.

So it was only right that I offered to put him up at a nice, safe...ZERO COST place. I also offered to go to the airport to pick him up, just to show how much I value and appreciate him coming down.

Right from the start...we had fun. Going to the airport on Friday night is ALWAYS a pain in melbourne...Traffic is bad...costed me over 40 bucks on a trip that usually cost less than 25. Then having to find a person whom I have never MET in my entire life.

The real funny thing was...when Dickson saw me...he immediately knew who I was. apparently...I kinda reminded him of Ice (appearance wise).../versus/images/icons/smile.gif

and here I was, at the airport..looking at every Asian male that walked by...probably raising security alarms in the process~.../versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Dickson was also nice enough to have bought me duty free smokes..so Thanks HEAPS Dickson.

Now...last year, When Myke n Alex were invited..my friends all thought I was nutz...this time around...I invited a guy from Hk and I just had this strange faith(some call it silly)...from experience...most vfers I know of are nice people.

True enough...Dickson is a true gentleman...From the way he speak to the way he plays. I cannot stress enuff what a nice guy he is and how glad and lucky I am to have met him.

I shall now describe the way Dickson plays.

Right after the anounncer said 'GO', I knew I was gonna have fun playing with Dickson.

He 's aggressive as hell( just like me..thus me approve this style:). Specializing in Ura n Oki, in fact...I have never been beaten so badly in Oki before. Every time I fall onto the ground..I am most assured of eating another attack~!

His strongest character is Pai IMO. With his fast CDs..he managed to CD throw me time after time....and not throught repeated patterns~...which is what made his pai so hard to fight against....yet very fun at the same time.

while using Kage...he hardly ever TFT, making it very hard to reverse his throws...

Oh...he also played Lion the CHIBITA way when requested by me...really opening my eyes as to how flashy n just how painful Lion can be in the right hands...

Sadly...I don't remember much of our games....While hosting Dickson..I was still suffering from a cold and fever....so forgive me for not being able to describe more of what happened during the matches....

Oh BTW...we managed to pull off the 'angry angels' video clip moves as well~!!!!

I'm starting to rant here...fever getting to me.
    But Once again...I must STRESS and express my thanks to dickson for taking his time to come down here...

So thanks Dickson...I really do appreciate u coming down here.

I am glad we are friends now.

Thank you very much.

Anytime u're in melbourne n need free bed n hot shower for urself n ur family...

CALL ME~!

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 04/30/01 12:03 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Damn, I also have a fever!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

you forgot to mention something about our intensive akira vs akira play, huh?! it was a memorable moment when we enjoy the play so much, not playing to win, but playing to experience how far we could go ...

hope doomboy can have some of the clips up very soon ...

4. Guest

Guest Guest

hey jeff, awaiting your staying in hong kong this summer ... get rid of your fever b4 coming to my house ... :)

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I hope u didn't bring any germs of mine with u when u left /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hahaha I know where you live man...

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks for the report Summers! Sounds like you guys had a blast, wish I could've been there too! And hey, I only counted five ~'s in this lengthy post! Are you feeling OK? :)

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing those clips, and especially to see how my Melbourne boys have developed since I last saw them!

Doomboy, want to post a report too? Don't be shy now :)

8. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hmm ok let's see what I can remember...

I arrived at Shun's place at about 11:30 or so and Dickson was in the shower so I sat down and unpacked my bag of presents for Summers,basically some weird old psOne fighting games and his copy of SF3 third strike (jubilation ensued upon it's placement in Shun's DC : P.

We started off by playing Third Strike for a while and I was enraged to find my "new improved Makoto" didn't phase Summ in the least,I didn't get one HCB k throw the whole time (bloody freak: )

After a good few minutes of getting my ass kicked it was time for some VF warm ups with Summ,during which time I felt an ominous presence whispering to Shun in the background who soon revealed himself to be Dickson! "ah my new nemesis" I thought,sadly he ended up being too freaky nice to be my nemesis so I guess we'll just have to be friends : )

The first thing I noticed was his use of the CD throw and WS kick with Pai,he gets so many CD throws it's just surreal,I was ALWAYS looking for them and once he sensed I was on to him he quickly mixed in f,b p+g from CD

He also uses tons of low throws mixed with f,f p,k.....the latter being his favourite flowchart ender,he'd do stuff like sidekick, p , f,f,p,k which would nail me very often as I'd try to interrupt a move after the punch with my own punch but he'd go under.

His Pai is TOTALLY different from the way I thought she should be played,my Pai is all about the MC sidekick or standing k to set up combo's but Dickson uses the sidekick as a stagger ONLY it seems and instead of using the k he uses more k,k which totally threw me and Summ as we'd block the first and get hit by the second then d/b k+g OTB!

Playing him conjured up old memories of playing Myke,there is just this feeling during the match that you will only EVER be in control of your character (so you never really feel in control of the flow of the match) and everything relies on good spur of the moment decisions in the split seconds between the repeated barage of attacks.

Sadly we only taped 3 hours worth of matches (Summ tell the nice people why you didn't tape the first day : P).

I was kinda upset with my performance overall,I had spent weeks befere Dickson's visit memorising move recovery stats and flowcharts,tricks etc but I just forgot to use them arghhh!!! even my TFT knee was seriously inconsistent,oh well at least I managed to get 3 SPOD escapes,heheh first time I ever got to test em in a real match.

Dickson was a real joy to play with and I think it goes without saying that ANYTIME you're in the country let us know and we'll come running : P.

Also thanks to Summers for trying to buy me lunch at a Taiwanese resteraunt cos I was totally broke after getting ZOE on PS2 the night before : P

It's been brought to my attention that I was playing "old school Doomboy style" for the early part of the day so sorry if I annoyed anyone but I can't seem to help abusing jabs and pokes,I think It's more about the characters I'm playing than the state of mind I'm in though : )

PS. to all that are interested I think the movies will be posted between Wed-Friday if I can get in contact with Chanchai to see if he still has some spare space I can use.

PS.Myke get back down here I want that ride on the Myke train you promised after MG!!

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

HAHA
    I had a 12 game win streak almost immediately in 3S~~~~

We did not record the first night...cause we did not think it would be uhmm...an intensive play...after all, Dickson just got off a plane..

Who knew within the 2nd round..it would be my Akira n his Akira trying to trick each other???

Too bad~~~~

Like Shun said...sometimes...the best matches should be left as memories...~~~~

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Myke,

Lately I have been ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~ F@#K~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also Job is S~~T
    Too much ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School is ~~~~~~~
    Assignments are ~~~~~~~~
    Talk to u soon~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Doomboy,
    Spare space is available, just send the files the way you usually do (hopefully it won't crash). I'll put the files up on my COE account as usual.

Nice report!

-Chanchai

12. Chanchai

Melbourne Games 2001: The Clips

Here are two clips showcasing Dickson and Doomboy fighting it out during the 2nd Melbourne Games.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.engr.orst.edu/~saenguni/cs261/Stuff/%7bDoomJacky%20vs%20%7bDicksonPai%7d.avi>Pai(Dickson) vs. Jacky(Doomboy)</A>
    Doomboy goes all out against his new foe with Jacky. Showing how much he's improved in Myke's absence.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.engr.orst.edu/~saenguni/cs261/Stuff/{Doompulp}.avi>Pai(Dickson) vs. Aoi(Doomboy)</A>
    Dickson exacts his revenge on Doomboy's Aoi by beating him down to a pulp. Some punishment to the mis-opportuned, turning aggression into ROs, a show-off ura-win, and more good stuff from both players.

My understanding is that there is more to come. We'll also finally be able to see some of Summers' stuff soon enough too.

notes: divx required. Slayers soundtrack included.

-Chanchai

fixed the first link (wacked naming schemes man!) :) -- Myke<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Myke on 05/02/01 10:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

13. Chanchai

Re: Melbourne Games 2001: The Clips

(Response to Myke--who edited a link for me in my previous post)

Thanks. You can thank Doomboy for the interesting naming scheme/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

For those that don't have it:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.engr.orst.edu/~saenguni/cs261/Stuff/divx_3.11alpha.zip>divx ;) codec</A>
    I have no idea if it works on Macs.

Additional Note:
    ...Some punishment to the mis-opportuned...
    I meant ...some punishment to the mis-opportuned oki...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chanchai on 05/03/01 03:10 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

why am i always the last~!

15. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Sorry Summ,

don't worry I'm sending your clip now : ) It's the biggest so I left it till last

16. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Aaaaghh!!! I can't download these clips!!
    I've downloaded WindowsMedia 7...blank screen.
    I've tried downloading on another computer and the QuckTime "Q" box appears in the middle of the screen. Fifteen minutes later, the box changes into a broken film clip.
    Please help, because I want to see Dickson's Pai in action (it'll help me with my Pai), and Doomboy's Aoi (ditto). And ~~SummErs~~, too.
    And I've tried downloading <font color=orange>divx ;) codex</font color=orange>. Now what?

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=yellow>DOG</font color=yellow>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ghostdog on 05/03/01 09:29 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

17. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

"And I've tried downloading divx ;) codex..."

- me too and it still doesn't work. AVI never works on my PC :(

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Some help and movie comments

OK, so you guys downloaded the divx ;) codec, but did you then install it? (Sorry, but had to ask).

I have a fairly recent version of windows media player. I downloaded the codec, unzipped it, then right-clicked over the .inf file and selected install. After that, I could view the movies without any problem on a measily pentiumII 450 laptop.

Now just some comments (for Doomboy) regarding the movies:
    - Why did you choose to encode it with divx ;)? Were you getting the best compression from it? How large was the equivalent mpg?
    - Filenames with {braces} are wack! :)
    - Why, oh why, did you go for the jpop bgm? Argh! I wanted to cry! :p
    - You guys should really stop playing 7 rounds. Try to stick to the standard 3 rounds, 30 seconds. I think the matches will flow better, and everyone else doesn't have to wait an eternity for their game. That's just something I was reminded of when I saw these clips.
    - Nice seeing Dickson's Pai in action. Was hoping to see more inashi into ST or SSK-ura (the way she's meant to be played.. hmm.. where's Jan) :)
    - Doomboy, it's hard to tell how much you've improved. I somehow remember your Aoi to be way more aggressive and efficient when you were up in Sydney. *shrug* Or maybe Dickson just had you worried more? Hard to say. Your Jacky seemed the same as I remembered it too. Pretty safe and solid.

All up though, it's nice to see you guys in action again! Look forward to seeing Summers' clip!

19. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Re: Some help and movie comments

Aoi has been sitting in the closet for a while Myke,she aint as good as she once was......I forgot most of the tricks and stuff due to an overdose of info prior to mg2,I was even forgetting low throws and couldn't TFT to save my life.

I was just totally crap most of the day...but still anyone who wants to chime in with advice....FORGET IT I'm more than aware of all the stupid things I did so don't bother bringing them up.

As for the encoder,I know I should have tried mpeg or something but since the people that first Dloaded them didn't seem to have any problems I thought it would be ok though advice on codecs I should use are welcome,in fact tell me asap so the Summ movie won't be so Jerky,unfortunatly due to the 5 round problem It's 4 mins long!.

Myke I can't exactly predict the musical preferences of everyone who downloads can I? : P actually my cap card has one composite in so I need an adapter to get my av cables coming out as one signal,don't worry I'm gonna pick it up tommorow so the jpop won't torment you anymore.

I didn't choose the round count you can blame Freddy for that.

Thank you for being so "helpfull" Myke I love it when people point out how the character you're playing "should be played" : P

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by {Doomboy} on 05/03/01 12:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: Some help and movie comments

Dun blame me
    I did not set the round count
    In fact...I did not even started playing until like 5pm~

Plus...I have been playing on 30 secs for the past few mths...
    I think we forgot abt the save file in Shun's VMU...