1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Mercy Rounds

Discussion in 'General' started by garyBusey, Nov 13, 2001.

1. garyBusey

garyBusey Member

VF4 just came to my local arcade last week. Friday night I printed off a move list for Lei I thought I'd play a few games (having played about 15 games previously) There was a kid playing Lau, I watched a few rounds, and challenged in as Akira. The machine is set to 2 rounds and costs a buck. I missed a double palm off the start and the guy got off a huge juggle leaving me with 1/4 health. I came back and won 1st round. Second round went a little better and I won with a low reversal. The guy starts telling me off for not giving him a mercy round. I told him that there was no way I would give Lau a mercy round when I had just put a dollar in less than 30 seconds ago. He then told me that it was common decency to give a mercy round and that if I was going to play like that I wasn't welcome in the arcade. Whats your opinion? I would have given him a mercy round if I completely killed him, but this was a really close matchup...and he had already been playing a one player match -I only challenged in when he was in danger of losing a second round. I don't know why it bothered me so much.

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

fuck him up, really. kick his ass in real life and say "oh im not welcome!?, welcome THIS *bat to the face* "

3. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

That's gay dude, you're not obligated to give him a damn thing.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Where are you located? Certain areas have a "mercy round" culture. I personally think it's stupid, but people who follow that mindset may get pissed when they fool around in the 2nd round expecting to get the mercy round only to get pummelled.

5. austinc1

austinc1 Member

Yah, that's just dumb. Especially on a 2 round machine. If it was a 3 round machine... But who wants to give someone a round when it puts them in reach of the win :p

I'm starting to realize how good I got it here in Austin: 50 cents for best of 5, pretty sweet.

6. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I reckon mercy rounds are weak. This is virtua *fighter*, not virtua sparring. Mercy rounds are for when you're totally confident you can take the last round -- it's basically saying "you suck, and I can _give_ you this round and still win".

So I think you did the right thing, and the other guy is a moron.

grib.

7. Kid_Karumba

Kid_Karumba Member

If the match was as close as u make out then I don't think u did anything wrong, plus its clear the guy is a sore loser - he got everything he deserved! Clearly being upset at his loss he's done everything in his power to make u feel small, or somehow belittle ur victory. Personally, I love it when I've pissed someone off like that.

8. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Since this is the general board, I can spam my answers n go

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA

9. RedQueen

RedQueen Well-Known Member

wat? expecting a mercy round for that fucked up attitude? i'll make that guy beg mercy for his asshole!!! *shoves Lei's Left Nipple (tm) up his ass*

10. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Over here, it is perfectly OK to give mercy rounds. It is all up to the player. We don't condemn anyone for not giving mercy rounds. But we do commend anyone giving mercy rounds :) It is all up to your generosity. If you don't feel generous, no one can fault you. Afterall, it is your money that you slot into the cabinet. Another thing about mercy rounds depends on your skill level. If you can pummel the guy off in the last round OK! Do it. But if you lost this last final round, don't fret. It is your decision. Don't screw yourself. It is bad. Boils down to your confidence.

11. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

LOL! I like the bat to the face idea.

12. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

These are the same people who get pissed when you throw a lot. I say kick him in the jimmy.

13. Genie47

Just play Vanessa and perform her "smell my cunt" throw LOL :) Hehe

14. TequilaPilot

TequilaPilot Member

Umm, just curious, which throw is the 'smell my cunt' throw??
    I play Vanessa and I've yet to see any pr0n throw move being executed on someone. =)

15. Genie47

I think it is a low throw. She sorta grabs the opponent's head and draws it close to her groin/pubic area. The opponent's head strains to get out of it. Like it the smell is really bad. /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif

16. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I think the throw you're referring to is sort of a hit throw or hold. If you take a look at Myke's vf4_syndey_jam_act1 clip, you'll see it. Myke (Vanessa) does the hold on Kim (Aoi). The Vanessa thread by Spotlite provides a little more info on it, in case you're interested. Try entering "Vanessa" in the search box.

And it's not a low throw.

17. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Hmmm...yep, Chia you've done it. You've achieved to have the least amount of tact when naming a move in VF. Well done.

mind boggled at vocabulary,

18. Big Dipper

Big Dipper Well-Known Member

Re: Mercy .I 'll give you Mercy!

Saturday, I'm going to give zero mercy at broadwaycity.com
    in NYC, Times Square. Aoi, Jacky, Wolf and Lion sprinkled w/ a a tad Lei.