1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Mercy Rounds

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by nycat, May 20, 2002.

1. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Serious players in NYC have a habit of throwing themselves over low walls and jumping out of wallless rings in orrder to allow the game to continue with serious newbes and scrubs that try.... yesterday, AI Sarah in <font color=red>Kumite</font color=red> threw herself over the fence on Palace Stage! (^^) ... this ever happen to you? The mercy round thingie.../versus/images/icons/blush.gif In VF3tb I still remember <font color=blue>Picollo</font color=blue> running into moving subway car to cut a newbee a litle slack and <font color=white>hiro</font color=white> leaping out of ring with Wolf /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif<font color=black>.

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Well, guys like Picollo and Hiro can give away rounds to people if they feel like and still win. Even I give rounds to people when I know I completly confident I'm going to win the match.

Funny you mention this now, I was playing Hiro on Saturday. He would get big streaks with a certain character and then let his character die off so he can pick a new character out of boredom. He's that damn good.

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm....I have a different prespective on this because the VF community in MD area is still relatively small....we tend not to give mercy rounds because it is kinda patronizing/insulting to the other person..we rather take/give the whuppin and let it be that.

4. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I would be pissed. If I were getting spanked I'd like to count my losses and move on. But mercy rounds play a psychological role in that they lower the opponent's morale.

5. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Mercy Round MTL general rules :

- Mercy can be given if you've got 2 rounds on 3 already and opp. is a scrub and has none. This is common curteousy around here unless there's a big lineup of people waiting to play.

- Mercy is at the current champion's discretion.

- We usually dont give mercy rounds to opps. who have an equal skill level or higher (although still at player's discretion), only if they are having a bad game and you want them to warm up a little more for next time around.

- Always keep in mind the line-up of people waiting to play because giving a free round to everyone will waste the entire line-up's time.

- Playing against someone continually who's a scrub ( i.e. their pumping in quarters and spending ~5 $ or more on you ) : Leave rounds at first and as long as your patience can handle it, practice your sequences and setups, when you get tired of his persistence cut him off by not leaving him any rounds everytime he plays after that point. Forces him to get more effective and get better, without letting him feel he didnt get a chance to have fun, practice or learn something.

- Playing against someone continually who's good ( also spending ~5 $ or more on you ) : You must discuss it with him or present the opportunity for him to get a free round. You should not give mercy rounds. It does get insulting at a certain level of competitive play to get a mercy round and that works for both opponents. Obviously, if your playing around and want to practice with the opponent more in the role of a partner, free rounds are absolutely at the "2 of 3" player's discretion.

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Just do what I do. If you're going to smoke them, just start practing hard/weird combos. If you wind up losing, it doesn't look like you gave it to them.

7. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

If you wind up losing, it doesn't look like you gave it to them.
    ...hehehe, sometimes (^%$%^) would get on a streak of wins that demoralized everyone present and people would hesitate to challenge so (^%$%^) would stage a close defeat against a scrub [cough] that would inflame all present to challenge again. Then (^%$%^) would walk off to mictriate or chat up a pretty girl. <font color=black>