1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Micro-Transactions vs AI and Fighting Games

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Dec 8, 2017.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    EA Sport's recent debacle with Star Wars Battlefront II has brought even more attention to how gamers ares being ripped off by Micro-transactions (mtx) . UFC 3 mixed martial arts game is reported to be even more despicable than Battle Front

https://www.astutegaming.com/single-post/EASPORTSUFC3BETA

But I've noticed something else in the rush to focus on online multiple player, loot box, mtx driven games. The AI programming is starting to suffer :( When single player games reigned supreme and there was no such thing at multiplayer online, the game AI was highly important component of the game. If a games was released with unplayable AI that usually meant sudden death for the game. Whether we were talking about Fighting games, Racing games, or Sports or whatever, one of the first things we judged the game by was how good or how bad the AI was. So the game developers had to deliver big time in the area of AI. And AI development comes at a cost (its not cheap).

Now with the focus on open world, multiplayer, MTX driven games, the game developer is off the hook for the AI development and can cut major costs by not putting effort into AI development :mad: In the controversy over EA's recent debacle, EA spokesman said that gamers don't play single player linear games like they used to and that multiplayer and new MTX is what gaming is all about. Wow, isn't that convenient, if you throw out single player linear games, you just happen to throw out one of the toughest things in developing a good game (The AI!) BTW The AI in EA's UFC 1 and 2 Suck balls!

So if I'm a game developer in 2018 I can make a game, where I don't have to develop a good story, I don't have to develop good characters, I don't have to develop a challenging or immersive game experience, and I don't have to develop a good AI. I can charge the players 59.99 for an entry level into my gaming as a service (gaas) where I sell them temporary power ups, performance boosts, movelists, etc, and then nickle and dime them to play each other. Basically all I have to provide are the stages and the skins. Kind-a like basket ball, all one has to do is provide a court and a rim, and the players do all the rest!

So it seems like the large game developers and publishers have stripped the video game down to its bare essentials so that they only have to supply the minimum things necessary for their offering to be called a videogame, and at the same time introduce monetization models that maximize their profits. In this new scheme the hard work and investment necessary to develop a believable, legitimate, balanced AI is simply not necessary and allow developers and publishers to cut costs even more.

I dunno, but maybe the fighting game is being de-emphasized in 2018 because:

#1 The FG doesn't fit well in the MTX vision of pimping gamers

#2 The FG usually requires a strong AI component to be considered credible. And game developers are either losing the skillsets necessary to develop a strong credible, balanced AI or don't want to invest the dollars to build one.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But if I'm right we will continually see less and less quality in AI and less investment in AI (unless it can be tied to MTX in someway)

I still haven't played it, but I hear the AI in Tekken 7 sucks balls :holla:

Is this one of the reasons why VF6 hasn't appeared yet? Is it because the MTX thing is just not a good fit or is it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Ares-olimpico and Kruza like this.
  2. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    I'm not sure if anyone can just point to Micro Transactions being the main cause of the decline of programmed AI in video games. Maybe there is some actual contributing factors between the two categories which connect. But to say that one is a direct cause of another succeeding or failing is really reaching in my opinion.

At any rate, the existence of video game features, options, bells, whistles, etc. etc. available through Micro Transactions is just the next step beyond offering simple Downloadable Content and Patches for the same type of stuff. I hate to bring the bad news, but Micro Transactions are here to stay at this point and there's nothing gamers/consumers can do about it except to just say "no" with your wallets. As a consumer, if you feel you don't absolutely have to have everything that is being offered within a particular video game then you'll be fine.

And finally, as for the Fighting Games in general, a lot of different issues can be pointed out about what has led FGs down this path for a number of years. But I have always thought that it was the social atmosphere -- whether competitive tournament or casual/party vibe -- that was the premier reason for the immense popularity of FGs over gameplay-related reasons like mechanics or AI programming. But over recent years the life blood of FGs -- the development of the accompanying social atmosphere which the genre of games provided -- has been supplanted by modern day FPSs of all types and MMORPGs. It's unfortunate for me because I personally don't care to play games in either genre.

Kruza

masterpo and Ares-olimpico like this.
  3. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

For sure I'm not suggesting that MTX are the only reason AI programming in some fighting games is on the decline, I am suggesting that publishers like EA have found ways to cut costs by abandoning single player modes , and focusing on multiplayer modes where the players do most of the work, and spend money with MTX to be competitive. Any FG that has a strong single player mode will by necessity have a well developed, balanced AI. I know that most FG fans on VFDC imagine that online or 2 player modes are the only legitimate modes, but single player FG fans are far more numerous than you might think. There are many many FG players that simply enjoy playing a good AI and will pay 59.99, 69.99, 79.99 etc to play one. If a FG developer can avoid putting a good AI in the game, they can cut costs tremendously. The more the developer/publisher can divert attention to online features, the more costs they can cut! But cutting these costs will dramatically shrink FG sales. e.g if the new Soul Calibur 6 is a online only MTX game it will not reach anywhere near the sales it has in the past. Sure there is always the hardcore online types that will play it, but it sell in the millions in with online only, or with two player only.

Story modes, Cut Scenes, Well developed Stories, Strong Balanced Adaptive AI's Elaborate Stages add a great deal of value, replay value, etc to a FG. When these things are left out game sales suffer, the community shrinks, the game becomes a niche limited to a few dozen thousand hardcore online gamers. The fact of the matter is that a FG cannot survive without its casual fan base, and the casual fan base enjoys a good AI. Game developers/publishers that want to sell millions of copies of FG must have strong and plentiful single player modes. And single player modes require more skill, more talent, more knowledge to develop than multiplayer modes :LOL:

The MTX trend is threatening good AI in FGs. And if you know anything about real FG development its very hard to produce a balanced game with the AI simulation component.

Kruza likes this.
  4. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Okay, what you posted above makes really good sense of the AI situation in Fighting Games and how it relates to the recent absence of single player content in FG game development, along with where Micro Transactions fit into this scenario. Great explanation!

Kruza

5. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@masterpo
    This is an interesting topic masterpo.

But do you want to hear a big joke?
    A few months ago, I found out that if you play Paladins online, some of the people you battle against, are either real people from around the world, or computer AI opponents, that play like real people. It's really interesting, when you think about it.