1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft to buy Sega?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cause, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Anyone else hear this rumor, it just popped up all over the net tonight?

How would this affect VF4?

- The VF Student -

2. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

Well, it would have the advantage that us Sega fanboys only would have to buy one system, but honestly, I really doubt that. As a hostile takeover maybe, but Sega has really no reasons to sell out to Microsoft at this point.

3. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

HELL NO!

when it comes to consles microsoft they will fail like the 3do did. Sega doesnt not need to team up with a losesr like bill gates and his crappy X box

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

4. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Yes they do

They have every reason, Sega is in the Red big time, CSK I've heard wants to sell their shares. This was translated.

According to reports out of Japan, a large shareholder of Sega, CSK Group, may be looking to offload their shares in the near future. "Microsoft believes it is necessary to expand with private companies to help Xbox be a success. Because Sega doesn't have an inflated price they are very tempting indeed," said a game industry source. While this is all speculation at this stage, having Sega on board full-time would be a major boost for the Xbox's first-party line-up.

Some analysts believe the extremely wealthy Microsoft company is the front-runner to pick up the Sega shares. However, it seems Sega would have to agree to such a large transfer of company ownership.

- The VF Student -

5. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Sega at this moment thanks to Ohkawa s generosity just before he died is the largest private shareholder of Sega and one of the largest private shareholders of CSK .
    They dont need anny money at the moment becouse Ohkawa payed of most of theyre debts and in the unlikely event that Sega would need money they have hunderds of millions of dollars dollars worth in CSK stock wich they can sell of if need be

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Re: HELL NO!

I remember when people were skeptical about sony's entry into the game market, but a lot of magical things can happen when a company has a literally bottomless pocket to work from. Microsoft is stubborn - they refuse to concede these things. They won't allow themselves to be a 3DO. After all, look at their internet service. It was started in 1995 and has yet to turn a dime of profit. That doesn't bother Bill though, he just keeps pumping money into it.

<font color=blue size=11 face="Times New Roman">
    CreeD </font>(possible sig)

7. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

It certainly would be a nice rumor, but at this point in time, it would be so impractical as to be almost worthless. Sega is already contractually obligated to Sony and Nintendo with a large number of general release and exclusive titles. VF4, which will sell a million or two consoles in Japan all by itself, is a PS2 exclusive for one full year. And most of Sega's biggest names are on PS2 and/or GameCube, like Daytona, Ferrari 355, Sonic, PSO, etc. Even if Sega was bought tomorrow (and why not by Sony, which is equally desperate for quality first-party output?), it wouldn't change the console picture for the next 12-18 months. Naw, if Microsoft was going to do this, it would have been done a long time ago.

As for the X-Box's chances in the console war, well, it's like this. If it was anybody else, I don't believe (by this point) they'd have a chance. But it's Microsoft, and they've got the willpower and (more importantly) the money to back this baby up. It's commonly said that X-Box isn't fighting for the $6 Billion videogame market of 2001, but the $12-$15 Billion videogame market of 2005. Given the sheer raw power of this console, I wouldn't doubt that; and if the games industry does double in size, then you could earn a small piece and still live comfortably. If they're willing to stick it out, they'll do fine.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx