1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Midway Games delisted from NYSE (no more MK!?)

Discussion in 'General' started by CobiyukiOS, Feb 19, 2009.

1. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

http://www.edge-online.com/news/midway-delisted-from-nyse
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2009/02/midway_delisted_from_new_york_stock_exchange-2.html#comments

Ah, Midway, and Mortal Kombat. Looks like it's the hara-kari fatality that had to happen due to the GFC. Didn't know what they were doing, apart from the DC vs MK, recently. No I know: fell down to a flat pancake.

This makes me a bit sad, as a lack of competition would make the next fighting games shit, but MK wasn't competition, so it doesn't affect me whatsoever.

2. The_Shunjinkogh

The_Shunjinkogh Well-Known Member

No more Mortal Kombat? Well I did hear they weren't doing that well on the gaming.

3. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

keep kicking them while their down and out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

4. DrDogg

DrDogg Well-Known Member

MK is still a lucrative franchise. If Midway can't sort themselves out (unlikely), someone else will pick it up. Square Enix and Electronic Arts are both in the market for a good (read: marketable) fighting game franchise.

5. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

I've never cared for the MK series but it's sad to see a gaming company go down like this.

6. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    At this time, Can we bow our heads[/size] and have a moment of silence for:

Kung Lao,Shang Tsung Shao Kahn, Sindel, Sub Zero, Goro, Liu Kang,
    li Mei, John Cage, Sonya Blade,Raiden, Scorpion, Kano, Reptile, Jax Briggs, Baraka, Kitana, Mileena, Kintaro, Jade, Noob, Smoke,
    Cyax, kabal, Nightwolf Sektor, Sheeva, Stryker, Motaro, Fujin,
    Jarek, kai, Quan Chi, Reiko, Shinnok, Tanya, Blaze, Bo'Rai Cho, Drahmin, Frost, Hsu Hao, Kenshi, Mavado, Nitara, Moloch, Sareena,
    Dairrius, Daegon, Ermac, Havik, Hotaru, Kobra, Kira, and Blaze

Let us wish them well. Oh Earth How have the mighty fallen and from whence shall they be avenged /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

7. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

^ who the hell is Li Mei?!

8. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

Feck, google it. "MK Li Mei". She was actually my favorite char in Alliance

But this Midway dissolve could be a good thing. Maybe they'll sell off their IP's to have a bit of take-home money, and maybe some other developer will pick it up and make an MK game thats actually GOOD. Tournament-worthy, even (though I doubt it).

9. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

That explains why I don't know of her, I only played up to UMK3. Also what made it confusing is that masterpo wrote them in order of the game they appeared he in but I just looked again and he got a few mixed up.

I was like there's no Li Mei in MK2?!

10. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Does this mean that there will be no:

MK vs Xmen?
    MK vs Watchmen?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

How did MK vs DC sell? Is that what did it?

Midway was an American co right?