1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

minidv camcorders

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowdean, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hey, I need some advice, I am planning on getting a mini-dv camcorder and would love some help selecting. Would like to spend under 800 if possible. I know that generally, sony and Cannon are the two companies I should look at. Any suggestions on specific models?

2. mushen

mushen Well-Known Member

Sony DCR-PC9.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/digitalimaging/F_MV.shtml

If you want to the DCR-PC9, you can try to PM at Sears or just goto Dbuys.com. They have a good deal and they reputable site. I've been following the camcorder for 4 months now. Damn that's a long time.

3. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

I concur with Frank's post regarding the DCR-PC9.

I just bought a DCR-IP5 for myself and a DCR-PC120BT for my father, and I think both are excellent cameras (and yes, the IP-5's picture quality isn't as good as the larger models, nor does it have some pretty important features, but damn it's small) but they're pretty pricy.

The DCR-PC9 is an awesome camera with all the bells and whistles, and since it's "last year's model" you should be able to get a great price on it.

Still, what are you going to be using these cameras for? If they're mainly for recording things that will be encoded into digital movies for playback on your computer, that's fine, but if you're going to be watching these movies back on a tv, then I might recommend a larger camera with better video quality.

-Jason

4. Shadowdean

This is going to be for both. My budget is about 800 bucks, give or take a bit.
    This camera is going to be recording things like vf matches, my martial art sparring sessions/competitions, breakdancing (both practice and in club environments), and things of that nature.
    That being said, would it be wise to go for the Sony DCR-TRV20 as apposed to the PC9?

5. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

I think size versus picture quality is a pretty personal preference issue - at this point I would recommend going into a store and just taking a look at the models physically to see what you'll be happy with. Having said that, I think the main quality difference between the two models is that the TRV20 will definately have better quality still pictures, though video-wise... that's something you'll have to take a look at to see if you can notice the difference, and if so if it bothers you.

-Jason

6. Shadowdean

Cool. THanks a bunch for the info. I'm going to order on line (amazon or ebay most likely), but I think the best buy in my area carries a bunch of the sonys, so I can check them out. Thanks again.