1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MoAT 2001 Rules

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Llanfair, Mar 13, 2001.

1. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Re: rounds?

2) Part 2: Match setup

Each 'match' will consist of best out of 3 'games' and each 'game' consists of best 5 rounds.

Quick question here. By rounds you mean characters in TB right? I.e. 5 rounds, 5 characters? If so, are you sure you mean "best of 5 rounds"? It's not first to five as it usually is?

What Llan means is the best 3 out of 5. Meaning the normal '3 square' setup.

cheers,
    kbcat

2. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Well I just received my package from ML -- it looks like my starting date is going to be on May 28. This means that there's a 80% chance I'll be at MOAT and E3.

Excellent!
    kbcat

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, actually best of 5 is not a really good way of describing it. It implies that 5 rounds will be played out regardless of who wins what. First to 3, however, says that the match ends as soon as someone wins 3 rounds which I think is the case here.

Awww, I thought it was the first to 5 thing instead of first to 3. I've actually already prepared a lineup of 5 characters. Is there no way we can do first to 5 instead of first to 3?

For me it's easy to pick out a tournament 5 but it's hard to pick out a best 3. Further, the more rounds the more difficult for a person to get a lucky win.

ice-9

4. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Lets have 2 tourneys. The person who wins BOTH will be labeled the ultimate uber-vfer of all time.

One should be enough, since it will take at least 1.5 days to run the tourney. One complete day for the Round-Robin seeding and a half day for the double elim. So, we will only have enough time for one tourney. Don't worry though, everyone will get lots of play in the Round-Robin. Good players will know it by their RR points. Remeber we don't just count wins, we give you points based on the quality of your win. There will be a noticable difference in points between someone who just barely wins all their matches (3-2 every time) and someone who clobbers their opponent each match (3-0 every time).

cheers,
    kbcat

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Hmmm, actually best of 5 is not a really good way of describing it. It implies that 5 rounds will be played out regardless of who wins what. First to 3, however, says that the match ends as soon as someone wins 3 rounds which I think is the case here.

I've always understood what 'best of 5', or best of anything, means. You play tennis don't you Jeff? Men and women matches are traditionally played best of 5 and best of 3 sets respectively. Best of 5 doesn't imply that 5 rounds will be played out regardless, all it means is that there'll be a maximum of 5 rounds, of which you must win 3 to ensure victory. If I beat someone 3-0, there's no point playing the remaining two games, right?

Awww, I thought it was the first to 5 thing instead of first to 3. I've actually already prepared a lineup of 5 characters. Is there no way we can do first to 5 instead of first to 3?

For me it's easy to pick out a tournament 5 but it's hard to pick out a best 3. Further, the more rounds the more difficult for a person to get a lucky win.

I think a team of 5 would take too long to play through especially considering that you have to win 2 out of 3 matches to proceed. That should be sufficient enough to filter off any lucky wins, not to mention the fact that we're playing Team Battle with variable life recovery where, imo, it's harder to get away with lucky rounds since you're not rewarded with full life each time.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I've always understood what 'best of 5', or best of anything, means. You play tennis don't you Jeff? Men and women matches are traditionally played best of 5 and best of 3 sets respectively. Best of 5 doesn't imply that 5 rounds will be played out regardless, all it means is that there'll be a maximum of 5 rounds, of which you must win 3 to ensure victory. If I beat someone 3-0, there's no point playing the remaining two games, right?

I sure do. I played Varsity tennis in high school.

However, under the present context I don't think the meaning is clear at all. In a true best of 5 format, where winning a round gets you points, losing 3-2 is much better than losing 3-0. Hence in your example there IS a very good reason to continue.

At the end of the day I'm fine with either first to 3 or first to 5, but most tournaments are first to 5...I just assumed it would be the same for MOAT.

My preference for first to 5 over first to 3 is that there is a lot of diversification benefit for the versatile player who can utilize 5 characters. Even though opponents play each other best of 3, in a first to 3 rounds format it's still 3 characters versus 3 characters.

ice-9

7. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

We'll consider it. We would have to change the RR format a bit though to one match '5 square' as opposed to best 2 out of 3 matches at '3 square'. We would also have to revise the point system. I'll talk to Llan and see what we come up with.

cheers,
    kbcat

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

However, under the present context I don't think the meaning is clear at all. In a true best of 5 format, where winning a round gets you points, losing 3-2 is much better than losing 3-0. Hence in your example there IS a very good reason to continue.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. You get zero points for losing, no matter how you lose, so in the present context, losing 3-2 is the same as losing 3-0.

But if you look at it from the winner's perspective, winning 3-2 is not as good as winning 3-0. If we're playing a best of 5 round match, and I win 3-0, then I've won 3-0, end of discussion, and there are no second chances for the loser to try and reduce my win points.

Again, I think the format was stated clearly, but I suppose one can get confused with the different number of ways of stating the exact same thing: best of 5, first to 3, 3 squares, teams of 3, etc.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oops, you're absolutely right. Shucks, this is embarrassing, sorry about that. Pulled an all-nighter writing a paper and I wasn't thinking straight. It would explain how I seem to be checking this board every 5 minutes, heh heh heh. Procrastination is an ugly thing.

ice-9

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Cool, I would love a 5 square format since it will allow me to take some risks and see how some of my "alternative" characters match up in a tournament setting.

In a 3 square environment I would be very, very hesitant to play an untested Aoi or a risky Lau, but in a 5 square setting I would. There are certain characters and types of gameplays that simply match up well against some of the characters that I play and not very well against some other characters. For example, those that have a tendency to beat my Lau also have a tendency to lose to my Wolf. That's why I would personally prefer a 5 square match up--it would make things a helluva lot more interesting.

ice-9

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Good players will know it by their RR points. Remeber we don't just count wins, we give you points based on the quality of your win. There will be a noticable difference in points between someone who just barely wins all their matches (3-2 every time) and someone who clobbers their opponent each match (3-0 every time).

Actually I dont think points shoujld make a difference. I mean someone may score a ton of points right, but he may not win the tournament.

LIke if someone beat everyone 3-0 3-0 3-0 then suddenly lost 3-2 to someone else....

CrewNYC

Should't it just be everyone play everyone, rank based on a total iron man then play it out.

I guess...well the canadians have done this before, lets trust them.

CrewNYC

12. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

Argh...playing through 5 rounds would be too much (time consuming/exhausting). I prefer the original way (3 square environment). Just my 2 cents.

Also the points thing: I occasionally study opponents the first round to test their habits/tendencies - very often sacrificing the first round. I don't know how many others do this, but will it negatively affect me in the end in any way (having many wins that weren't 3-0) even if i do end up beating everyone i fight against? Please clarify......

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by adamYUKI on 03/20/01 08:59 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

13. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Adam - if you want to use a round as a feeler, that's your perogative. ;)

However, to give a more concrete description of the situation that could arise: say everyone plays ten matches in the round robin. If you win all of you matches 3-1 (feeling the first round) then you'll have a total of 100 points (10x10).
    Now, someone else plays their 10 matches as well. But they win only 9 of them at 3-0 everytime. They'll have 108 points (9x12). So, even though you were unbeatable and had a perfect 10 game streak, they'll be ranked higher than you after the round robin. So, to answer your question, yes - blowing the first round to feel out someone could have an effect on your chances. Remember that in double elimination, after the round robin the best plays the worst and so on. So, by lowering your rank in the RR, you're putting yourself up for a more challenging first round of the double elimination.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Kunster, 5 squares should fit nicely for you then! Use the first character as a feeler and you have four other characters to win with (Jeffry-Akira-Jeffry-Akira?)! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

ice-9

15. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Actually I dont think points shoujld make a difference. I mean someone may score a ton of points right, but he may not win the tournament.

Should't it just be everyone play everyone, rank based on a total iron man then play it out.

True. The winner of the tourney will be the winner of the double elim portion, and it that person may not have the most RR points. The same can be said for your "Ironman then play it out scenario" which is exactly the same as our format except every win in your system is worth 1 point. But, we want to differentiate between the person who wins every match 3-2 and the person that wins every match 3-0. We believe that the person who wins every match 3-0 deserves a higher ranking for the double elim seed since they had better performance. Isn't that what we want from seeding--a measure of performance? With our system the measure of performance is more granular, hence if can better differentiate subtle performance differences between people. It's not the best, but it's an evolving system. I believe it's better than the 'any win equals 1 point' system, and I hope after you've had a chance to experience our system that you feel the same as well.

I guess...well the canadians have done this before, lets trust them.

Yes, we do have a long tournament history in the Toronto/Oakville area. Several large tourneys, and many small TO only tourneys--dating from VF2 onwards.

kbcat

16. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

Um....since you put it that way Jeffster and in light of Llanfair's clarification on the matter - HELLZ YEAH! 5 squares all the way baby!!

Whew! I can imagine it already: Akira-->Jeffry-->Akira-->Jeffry-->Akira

Let the raping begin!! Buwhahahahahaahahaha ;)

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Lets stop talking about squares!?!? isnt it rounds? hehe that would be a simpler reference. I guess I understand kb's point about someone winning with points. Okay lets atalk about practice, the tournament itself will only be like an hour to two right? So like, during off tournament can we have at least three DC's runnning on OB mode or TB mode depending on peoples interests for practicing? Also what about evening play and morning play? (since I thikn the tournaments will be held closer to late afternoon or even during the evening....

CrewNYC

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

/versus/images/icons/shocked.gif

ice-9

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"Whew! I can imagine it already: Akira-->Jeffry-->Akira-->Jeffry-->Akira

Let the raping begin!! Buwhahahahahaahahaha ;)"