1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MoAT 2001 Rules

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Llanfair, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Re: rounds?

Andy.... trust me, this tournament is NOT going to be like an hour or two... I'm pretty damn sure of that.

However, I don't know how many setups there will be, and the normal pacing.... Thanks goodness VF is a fast paced game.

In my mind however, 5 or 6 hours is still not gonna come close.. I think this tournament is literally gonna take all day (and well worth it too).

I am very much looking forward to it, but for personal schedule reasons, I'm worrying that it might take more than a day (something KB Cat implied or almost specifically said it would take).

In any case, I know that at least a bunch of great players are attending already and I am excited about the event. Wish there was a way to broadcast it live or something/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I agree with pic
    What's the point of having a tournament when u get to see each other's playstyle n habits?

<font color=red>SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN'

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Practice...

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

5) Practice

There will be 3 DCs setup for MoAT 2001. One Dc will be setup for actual tournament play - round robins and double elimination. The other 2 DCs will for practice. However, only those 'on deck' will be able to use the practice DCs. To explain further: Players A and B will play their match on the main DC. On deck are players C, D, E and F. (C vs D, and E vs F). The practice machines are for players C, D, E, F only for that time. We also don't want C and D playing practice when their real match is coming up so C would practice and mess around with either player E or F, etc. It sounds confusing, I know, but if you think about it, you'll get it. *** No other machines will be running VF ****

Why? you may ask? This is not a VF3tb gathering. We have no intention of organizing a gathering. It's a tournament and it will run like one. What we want to avoid is people being reluctant to play because they're currently playing on a different machine. We've seen this problem and it leads to disorganization and eventual disassembly of the tournament. So, no other VF besides the 3 machines. And no one practices unless they're on deck to play. There will be other DCs setup and a PS2 for extra fun to keep people's boredom level low. You can play on them, but not VF. Vipers2, TTT, DOA2 - no problem.

<hr></blockquote>

This baby's gonna take a lot longer than a couple of hours.

As far as practice goes - reread the part above from the MoAT rules. We've all had years of bashing around practice - that's why we've set it up this way.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: Practice...

I'm getting chan to bring a copy of 3s...
    If I lose in Vf...
    I wanna have revenge in 3s!!!!!!!!

*LAUNCH ALL HA DO KEN*!!!

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Llanly
    I just found out
    1000 aussie is = 782 Canadian

PITIFUL /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I think thats fine for the tournament, but most if us will be there for a few days, and the tournament I dont believe will stretch across multiple days. (evenings as well) We should have a centralized playing area. Also multiple DC's and sticks would be needed. Llan im sure you want to play more than just two matches with me. :)

CrewNYC

7. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I dont believe will stretch across multiple days.

If everyone shows up, I expect the RR will take up a whole day. The double elim will probably take 3 hours or so. So the RR will take place on saturday, and the double elim sunday morning/early afternoon. Possibly if everyone is still eager to play after the RR maybe the DE will be held late saturday night.

cheers,
    kbcat

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I dunno man, if we go up I expect to be playing 24x7 vf for like 3 days straight, as I think most people do. Its kinda like standard. :) What do those abbreviations mean? Also I dont thikn TTT, DOA2 etc. will satiate the appetites of hungry VF'ers since during the tourney only the people whose matches are coming up are allowed to practice. Essentially you get an easier to manage crowd, but one that is standing around quite a bit. It would be better to have set fixed times, and the rest of the time we could have organized sessioning. Good idea?

CrewNYC

9. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

Abbreviations: RR (Round Robin) DE (Double Elimination)

The whole process will take very long, Andy. Don't worry, we'll get to Toronto in the afternoon on Friday, so we have all afternoon/evening/night on Friday to warm up and practice. During the tournament, i personally prefer not to play "casually" and fuk around, as it will destroy my focus and concentration. So I don't mind waiting around for long periods, as you'll probably find me in a corner meditating to the vf gods - trying to keep my mind fresh. *ewww...so corny* ;)

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Have patience grasshopper. You'll see - your appetite for VF will be satisfied, I have no doubt. There's going to be A LOT of VF to be played. ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

11. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> labeled the ultimate uber-vfer of all time.

i think this is a little insane (joking or not)...there aren't _that_ many people showing, and it's more like who is/was still competitive and cares enough after FIVE (FIVE!!!) FREAKING YEARS.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

So out of curiousity, how about a run down of the present list of competitors planning on going to MOAT?

- Confirmed?
    - Probably?
    - Tentatively?

Just wondering how many people I have to beat, heh heh... /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

ice-9

13. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

"i think this is a little insane (joking or not)...there aren't _that_ many people showing, and it's more like who is/was still competitive and cares enough after FIVE (FIVE!!!) FREAKING YEARS."

The "uber-vfer" statement was obviously a joke. Those that continue to play somewhat seriously have evolved into better players in comparison to a few years ago when more people were playing the game. The play is better now than it ever was, so the level of skill displayed by players who still play and are attending MoAT can make up for the fact that not many people are showing IMO. The people who aren't competitive anymore and don't care about the game are out of the picture, end_of_story.

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Bungle

>Those that continue to play somewhat seriously have evolved into better players in comparison to a few years ago >when more people were playing the game.

nah. they haven't. everything reached its plateau years ago. there have been no new discoveries, no new tactics, no new strategies, just experimenting (or capitulating) with existing things. you cannot improve or evolve something if there is only a limited number of variables to take in and use. i saw better (as in more effective, more interesting) shun players than nelson three years ago, better akira's than yours four years ago, and so on. sorry. and i have no problems acknowledging my kage is derived from the same basic stock shit that's been done for four-five years. all it is now (and arguably, how it has always been) is who still has the brain to put together and use everything already existing in the best way.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

"put together and use everything already existing in the best way"

Thats exactly it, how can you say nah, and that people have reached a plateau? Its the putting together part thats the hardest and why people are still getting better with that "old" stuff.

CrewNYC

16. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

HAHAHAHAH

whatever man...keep living in your "old-school" world.

"i saw better (as in more effective, more interesting) shun players than nelson three years ago, better akira's than yours four years ago, and so on"

To quote you from a previous post: That is not even an opinion. That is a fukkin outright lie.

No new techniques/discoveries? "Advanced" techniques were not used back then (aside from double throw escape). In addition to successful application of these techniques (by only a few people) and all out better blocking ability derived form playing a lot more (cause of the DC), a few players who are playing vf3tb right now are better than ones playing a few years ago.

Listen, my Akira sucked a few ago in vf3 (compared to now), and if i was able to stand toe to toe with Yupa, Robertson, and Jo-shun back then (at TO gathering a few years back - I got tapes if you want to watch em), well...let me just say that your ass is perpetually on crack.

17. Mr. Bungle

> To quote you from a previous post: That is not even an opinion. That is a fukkin outright lie.

nope. in my mind, and in the minds of others who are able to compare, it's the truth. you haven't seen what myself and many others have, and you cannot, and are mostly unable to, compare: you have so little exposure, so little in the way of actually being able to compare on a long term basis.

> No new techniques/discoveries? "Advanced" techniques were not used back then

korean stepping has been around and used since 1997. option select has been around and used since 1997 - i even wrote out everything that is known about it in early 1997. fuzzy blocking has been around and used since 1997. i have seen all of them used (effectively) from area to area to time and time.

to claim that you own the copyright on them, that you're more "evolved" because you use them as well, is incorrect and insulting.

18. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

"nope. in my mind, and in the minds of others who are able to compare, it's the truth. you haven't seen what myself and many others have, and you cannot, and are mostly unable to, compare: you have so little exposure, so little in the way of actually being able to compare on a long term basis."

Definitely true for vf2 (i didn't even know that such a great community existed - and i regret missing out on it, even though i played vf2 religiously with this "hardcore" Japanese group), but not for vf3. I have gotten to play the best in vf3 (aside from perhaps Superdoug). I was able to gauge myself and these other great players I played against. Was happy with the results thank ya very much.

"korean stepping has been around and used since 1997. option select has been around and used since 1997 - i even wrote out everything that is known about it in early 1997. fuzzy blocking has been around and used since 1997. i have seen all of them used (effectively) from area to area to time and time."

I wasn't thinking about fuzzy guard or korean stepping. Barring DTE, which was the ONLY thing being used (sparingly at best) while i was in Toronto a few years back, things like attack+TE, TE+gaurd, *recover*-->E+TE+guard, E-->TE+guard were not being used at all. I watch the people playing on the tapes of our trips to Boston, Toronto, NY (when you came down a couple of times with yupa and jason), and the shit i mentioned above is OBVIOUSLY not being used. Of course, you don't need the aforementioned techniques to win, but they (when employed with precision in correct situations) increase chances of survival significantly. Watching ALL of us (including Yupa, JoShun, Robertson, etc.) playing on the tapes is downright laughable - thats how shitty we were back then (i'm not talking about fairly useless - albeit cool looking - things "New Taiwanese Step"). Shitty in the sense that certain simple guaranteed situations were not being exploited, simple follow-ups were not employed, etc. Learning to exploit these things (in actual games and not just knowing about them) comes with constant practice. So, the people who continued to play competitively over the years with the intention of learning to actually employ the "basic" knowledge that was missing significantly in the play a few years back, are simply better players now as a result of continuous practice.

C'mon Rich, it's a no - brainer that continuous playing/practicing makes a person a better player. Especially, if the basic goal of winning is also aligned with the intention to incorporate certain (but crucial) vf knowledge effectively during actual game situations - using the knowledge to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Again, this was not happening a few years ago, as evidenced by hours and hours of footage on numerous players.

"to claim that you own the copyright on them, that you're more "evolved" because you use them as well, is incorrect and insulting."

Don't be retarded, as i never even implied that i owned these techniques or that i am "more" evolved. I use them yes, and they have helped my game tremendously, but a handful of others use them as well. This same handful of people have also continued to play competitively (such as yourself) and thus are just as "evolved" as I am. We reiterate often the fact that NYC plays sooo competitively, but it is the undeniable truth - that of every "crew" in NA, we just happen to play and practice the most. (At least once a week for 10-12 hour sessions) Although, the worthwhile results of constant practicing are more evident in certain players in NY than others. Thus, creating the gaps in the skill level that Shota was talking about.

19. Mr. Bungle

> I was able to gauge myself and these other great players I played against.

essentially a few hours, through several small trips, and no tournaments? that isn't much of a gauge...

> playing on the tapes is downright laughable

okaayyyy.....

some people thought the same of your own play and others with the NYG2 tapes.

> C'mon Rich, it's a no - brainer that continuous playing/practicing makes a person a better player.

not always. depends on who you're practicing with. by analogy, it doesn't help much if you're a race car driver and only drive on the same course in the same car with the same opponents over and over each weekend.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Okay rich...MoaT will prove it...I was playing around today and I realized that when I want to win I use the techniques adam mentioned and playing hiro this so called "inbred play" that comes from racing on the same track with the same players helps us adjust faster and quicker than most. Playing Hiros Kage has given me a good understanding of how to deal with Kage in just about every situation.

Look at those NYG2 Tapes and look at them closely. I want Chan Chai to send them to you. Do you think any of us in NYG2 could have won so much without all that practice we put in? No way. For the record no one though Adams play was laughable, we played seriously and to win.

CrewNYC