1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Modifying the Arcade Stick (This $#!t is TIGHT!)

Discussion in 'General' started by Chanchai, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Introduction
    I'm gonna describe a way of modifying the Arcade Stick (released in US by Agetec) in a way that is similar to how Shota modified his stick. Many people have asked about it, but weren't quite sure of ways to get the stick to be similar. They usually know the basic idea is to stick some sort of tubing around the "within the unit, exposed stick" (no pun intended). Anyways, I'll try to give more specific directions here and it's really easy to follow (REALLY EASY).

I take no responsibility for what you do to your arcade stick, however, if somehow you brake it while doing this, you should get smacked, it's not complicated whatsoever and you practically have to try to break something in there.

Jibber-jabber, yak, yak, yak
    Essentially, this modification makes the stick "tighter." That is, it reduces the area of movement on the stick.

Estimated benefits:
    -potentially easier to move around and back to neutral (smaller area). Some would think this means more precise control. For certain, it's tighter control, and less prone to mistakes in input.
    -potentially faster control since it's a common habit to move a stick as far as possible in any direction while inputting directions.
    -You only move the stick a little more than you need to.
    -Struggling is likely to take a benefit as you try to squeeze more inputs in a given time (granted only in situations where struggling would be based on maxing inputs within timeframes).

My experience:
    -Chanchai: "OMG! I'm doing SPoD and DLC more consistantly than before, and with almost no effort!"
    Shota: "...TOLD YOU SO....!"
    -In addition, I'm suddenly doing TFT-knee combos much better by getting the knee off earlier than I used to (originally, my crouch dashes were more like large crouch steps--quite slow)
    Note: I promise none of this to anyone, this might be more preference than scientific.

The Modification (Chanchai's recommended way)
    Requirements:
    -Arcade Stick (as it originally came, not modified)
    -Screw Driver (look at the screws and figure out what screw driver works best--a small phillip)
    -Cone Washer--built to fit: Ballcock Supply Nut & 3/8" O.D. tube (the one I got, in case you have trouble finding it is by "Plumb Craft by Waxman" #75-205)--For lack of knowing the standard measurements for plumbing and pipe tools outside of US (metric units), I'm using the stupid inch system that is standard in the US.

Operation
    1. Open the bottom, metal panel of the Arcade Stick by unscrewing the six screws (4 corners, two centers alligned vertically in the middle).
    2. The arcade stick should be upside down and in front of you, take the cone washer and slide it over the bottom of the stick (looks kind of like a big screw, surrounded by white plastic, between four switches). You should be sliding it so that the smaller end is down, relative to yourself (as if pointing to the ball end of the stick).
    3. Put the plate back on, screw the 6 screws into place, everything should be fine. Test it out, you're done!

Notes:
    -This is pretty much feeling very similar if not exactly like how Shota had his stick modified if I remember correctly.
    -In addition, it feels much like what I remember the Japanese sticks (that I used in worn down arcades in Thailand) felt like. Small area of movement, but not too small. It practically feels identical to me.
    -putting the cone in the opposite way is not recomended, when I tested it out, the stick was more likely to stick in a direction than it ever was (because it was moving the cone too much and stick it in positions).

Alternative Methods--for those who REALLY want it tight (not recommended)
    Similar as above, but instead of a cone washer, use two:
    "O" Ring Seals ( 7/16"ID x 5/8"OD). Then, find something to hold the ring seals in place (whatever you can think of, I tried using the cone washer among other things).

Note:
    -This makes the stick really tight, the area of movement really small. It would need some wearing down to get it to where you probably would want it. Sometimes, the range might be so small that you might not really nail the directions you intended, but quite close. I didn't like this setting and I only recommend it if you are generally, always violent with your sticks while inputting directions.

Closing
    Perhaps the only difference I can think of, based on my experiences, between the modified stick and the Japanese sticks in arcade is that the ball on top of the arcade stick is big compared to what I remember of the sticks in Japanese arcades (well, Thai arcades anyways). Hope this was helpful to some.
    Thanks, Shota, for introducing this method among us, kinda curious where you learned about this mod.

-Chanchai

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

How would you do this with the MAS stick considering it has a square base on the stick?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Warning: If you modify your stick to this degree, you will have a lot of trouble playing with normal sticks.

It's easy to go from large base -> small base but the reverse is absolutely not true.

4. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Do you have any tips on fixing buttons? The A button on my stick gets stuck when I press it for a long time, or for the duration of a PPPK combo. (I use it as the guard button.)

Thanx
    -GhostDog

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Lonely: I'm not sure what to do with the MAS Stick, my guess is that if you don't like the stick used in the MAS stick, you could order a stick that is more towards your liking and replace the original stick with that one. I'm not sure what stick is normally used in the MAS (in terms of brand and model). Besides that, the only kind of modification I can think of is to take off the "square-base" (I think it's called an actuater) and flip it upside down and put it back on that way (if it's setup the way I think it is, you would have to take off the little clip first--with a screw driver or something but don't damage the clip). And if you want more area of movement, some sticks come with extensions so that the grips are higher than normal. I'm no expert on sticks/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Ice: Yep, I agree. Though some people have a really hard time getting used to tight sticks when they usually use loose sticks. Probably a preference issue depending on how hard you slam your controls, etc... But I definitely had a much easier time moving on to the modified stick. Also, like yourself, I pretty much carry my arcade stick with me everywhere.

Ghostdog: The key problem with the Arcade Stick... Buttons have a good probability of being crappy... All I can say is that you can replace the buttons if you want to. Even from US manufacturers, there are excellent convex buttons if you prefer that style. You could also install concave buttons if you want (I personally don't like concave--not that I have a choice in most arcades). The alternative solution might be to adjust the way you press the buttons. In my experience, buttons got stuck or refused to press whenever they were pressed at certain angles. Definitely not the person's fault--just cheap buttons. BTW, this isn't like a coke-jamming problem is it (the horrors that coke spills cause in arcades... but at least there are buttons that supposedly avoid that problem).