1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Mortal Kombat 5 could leave VF4 Standing

Discussion in 'General' started by Ura_Bahn, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Ura_Bahn

Ura_Bahn Well-Known Member

Head over to www.MK5.org

And see the graphics on Mortal Combat 5 (they finaly have a new game engine). This game can be addictive as VF4, Mortal Kombat 1 - 3 were damn right addictive for me the 4th version was shit cuz they were still using the Mortal Kombat 2 game engine even though it was kinda 3D.

2. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

All Mortal Kombat is crap. Post this in general forum or something.

3. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Well, unless they finally got a combo system and different characters, I don't think it will have a chance against VF4 anyway. You don't see DOA3 owning just because it has awesome graphics and ease of use and popular appeal.

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Im a big Mortal Kombat fan, but lets face it, no matter how hard they try, they can never bring Mortal Kombat-Deadly Alliance up even near VF even if the fighting engine is changed, in fact no other fighting game can.
    Anyways I been palying MK since the very first in 1992, and still think that MK II was the best hands down, MK 3 and UMK 3 sucked pretty bad in comparison, the fourth installment was nice because they changed it to 3-D which of course changed the whole gameplay with sidestepping and no longer limited by the 2-D gameplay, but even if MK-DA will never even come close to VF, im still pretty excited to see what they thought this time, with the new fighting engine,characters,fatalities,visuals and all.

5. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

Im actually quite excited to see how the game turns out..
    Out of all Fighting games i have played i must say i liked the MK character designs the best, they look very evil and cool..
    Even though i havent been a very big fan of the MK series for obvious reasons, id still like to give this new MK a try, who knows they might finally realise its time to make something worth while..
    That screen shot of jax and scorpion looks awsome, lets hope this time round the game it self turns out to be something interesting and not just another flop..

6. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I don't think the MK concept will ever prevail.

There's just too many distractions from what really matters. Gore, fatalities, blood, they all add up to the very essence of the MK failure. I don't think it was ever meant to be 'playable'. (heck, I must be upsetting thousands of fans now =D)

Feel free to disagree of course, but I think MK has survived due to novelity and the theme of the games. The dark, gory, oriental style was good, dark future and decay was bad. It's pretty simple to see why MK1 and 2 was praised while the MK3 games weren't.

Oh well, the proof is in the pudding as they say...

.. Personally, I think MK5 will be yet another mediocre game, selling on its fanbase and novelity factor. (which is getting pretty old by now)

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I happen to disagree to an extent..I think MK1 and 2 were/are awesome games..they had a very unique feel to them and played in its very own style. THough after 2, I Think they are ALL crap...oh well, maybe this could be a turning point.

8. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

mk is disgusting, its liek the old vf vs tekken with mk vs sf2, im a shamed i played mk2 when i should of been playing more vf1! mk3 was a joke with the chain combos an mk4 an mk mithologys was so funny to watch, hell im gonna play mk mithologys now on mega drive just for joke:)

9. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

speaking of screenshots..
    [​IMG]

10. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

It's certainly a good-looking picture. However, what's been shown so far are pre-rendered images or mock-ups, not actual gameplay footage. Fortunately, when playable demos start floating about, the game will probably look just like this.

Personally, I hope Midway can make something good with MK5. The whole thing's basically been a one-trick pony (blood-n-guts) since the beginning; since that angle's been played to death, maybe it's finally time to make a good GAME.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I completely disagree..MK1 was good, and MK2 was a very good game. UNique system. DOn't compare them to 3 and mythologies, cause its like compairing samurai showdown 2 to SS3...they simply are different (imho 2 is better) games.

12. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say that MK2 was a VERY good game. It was an okay game, and there are lots of okay games out there. What I'm saying is that MK was successful because of its adult nature.
    I bet the 18+ rating it got sold a few copies by itself.

I'm with you on the Samurai Shodown thing though.

I think MK's way to glory lies in giving up on the pointless distractions such as fatalities and the emphasis on blood and gore. Granted, MK without fatalities would not be MK anymore, but at least they could implement it better into the gameplay. (Better? it's not even part of it yet! Just implementing it would be a step in the right direction!)

Take a look at the Super K.O.'s in Fighting Vipers 2 for example. It could be used the same way. For those of you not familiar with FV2 and/or the Super K.O.'s, this is a move you can use only once per match. It requires you to loose your armor (thus becoming more vulnerable.) and then you have ONE shot to time it right. The opponent must have very little energy left, and If you miss, you're out of luck. If it's blocked, you're out of luck. To cut it short, it's a pain to actually land this S.K.O.
    However, if you DO land it, this buys you two victories.

If this were to be implemented in MK, it would be silly if you chopped a guy's head off, you'd win two rounds, and then he'd be standing there, jolly good looking with his head glued on. Naturally, this 'fatality' would only be possible two rounds (or more, a toggle in options?) away from winning.

Bottom line is, they need to think in new directions if they wanna save MK, fatalities and blood included. With games like VF, SC and Tekken, the 3D-fighter stage is crowded with rock hard competition. You could always become a mainstream, gimmic fighter like DoA.. But don't come asking for respect if you do.

13. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It requires you to loose your armor (thus becoming more vulnerable.) and then you have ONE shot to time it right.

<hr></blockquote>
    Actually, you have two chances if your opponent is nearly fallen... if the armor burst does enough damage to KO them, you automatically get SKO. If they block, then go for the SKO command.
    You have to have all your armor intact for the armor breaker to SKO though...

14. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

No doubt, MK II was way awesome and defently the best 2-D fighter ever(read my review at gamefaqs.com) still im looking forward to seeing MK-DA in action.

15. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

"...if the armor burst does enough damage to KO them, you automatically get SKO."

Why of course, silly me, I knew that.. Thanks for the reminder Zero. Should be noted that S.K.O,'ing with the armor in mid air looks great. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

And as for Chucky's statement:

"MK II was way awesome and defently the best 2-D fighter ever."

Err... riiiiiiiight... Even at that time it wasn't, it was easily beaten by the superior Street Fighter II Turbo. You could argue that MK2 was better looking, even though I prefer the hand drawn style of the SF's.

And now we have SF3[3]rd Strike, seriously, MK2 doesn't hold a candle against that. In fact, not many 2D (or 3D for that matter) fighters do.

16. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

stfu retard! you always "seem to know better" who gives a shit if your lame swedish ass thought that street fighter was better than MK?? not everyone share your gay opinions you know?? :rolleyes:

17. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

You think this is about opinions? You really think opinions make a good game? Well no, chap, that's just not true.

You see, I played MK2 too. Sure as hell I found it more entertaining than SF at the time. I'd classify myself as something of an MK fan myself. I've bought just about all of them, including MK Gold for Dreamcast, which, in my opinion, is quite fun at times. And you wanna know something else? I enjoyed the first MK movie. There you have it.

So no, this is not about my swedish gay opinions. And what is it with you and gays anyway?

18. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

MK Gold huh, prob. the PAL version right?? lol

19. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

an heres me thinkin that vf fans know about games... mk is rank, hell battle monsters on saturn is a deeper game!

20. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it has the 50/60hz selection, so noone's complaining. (but you, that is. I still don't think you get that NTSC and pal 60 is virtually the same thing)

RandomHajile: I completely agree. I mean, don't get me wrong here. I don't give a rats ass about the MK gameplay (see my previous posts in this thread for a further motivation of that statement) However, I'm just telling Chucky here that although I liked the mood, speed and fury of the MK's, that doesn't make it a good game.