1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Mortal Kombat 5 could leave VF4 Standing

Discussion in 'General' started by Ura_Bahn, Feb 15, 2002.

1. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Belive me, I know a hole lot more about videogames than you do sport..

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

and a nice PAL gay cover to go with it.

3. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I happen to like the PAL covers. I like customized casings alot more than the standard CD covers. But I sure as hell don't let that get in the way of a game I want. I bought MK Gold for like £9 in a bargain bin, It's not like I'm chasing a MK game around the world for the sake of a cover. =}

I did however import KoF 99: Dream Match, so behold, I can live with the CD casings too! Unlike you, who had to, and I quote, 'force' yourself to buy PAL Shenmue 2. Oh it must have been so hard for you to accept the shape of the CD cover.

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Dude, "sometimes its better to be thought the fool than open ones' mouth and remove all doubt."

5. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

It was, actually I threw it out I just couldent stand it lying around in my house;)

6. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure: MK is singlehandedly to blame for the "dark age" of fighting games. You know what I'm talking about... the era where it seemed like no fighting game could succeed unless it was a craptacular MK clone. Most fighting game players, thanks to the idiotic egotism of Boon and Tobias and their "brilliant" ideas for fatalities (and friendships, animalities, all that other stupid BS), wouldn't go for a game unless it was bloody as all hell.
    Look at what came from MK's "legacy": Bloodstorm, Primal Rage, Time Killers, WeaponLord, Battle Monsters, Cosmic Carnage, Kasumi Ninja, Way of the Warrior (Naughty Dog "quality" for you... and they still haven't improved since then), and the king of hilariously inept "BLUD aNd GoRe r K3Wl!" titles, Tattoo Assassins.

It took the combined efforts of SNK (Samurai Series), Sega (VF of course), and Capcom (SF Zero) to reverse the trend and make people start playing good fighting games again. Midway tried to reclaim their lost glory with the abysmal War Gods and Bio Freaks, but thankfully failed. (Interesting fact: Bio Freaks was originally supposed to be an arcade game, but did so badly on test they ported it without bothering to make a wide release. The closest thing to "direct-to-video" in the gaming industry!)

The Tekken series, IMO, is the new MK... as in, people will look back on it 5 years from now and say "why the heck were we playing that POS when so much better was available?"

7. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Uh... The Japanese SM2 had the same type of slipcase cover, silly. It's a neato packaging thing you see on a lot of LE editions, and I was surprised that SoE did it (and quite well too).

8. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

doubleposter, doubleposter, pants on fire!!!

heh

9. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I agree with your points but don't forget Real Bout Fatal Fury and King OF Fighters which were going strong in the late nineties (96-97? arguably the best editions of KOF, definitely story wise). Oh, and Last Blade as well.

SNK were the best, The brave are always the first to die... Bloody pirates.

Chucky: How can you let something so trivial and insignificant as a cover annoy you?!

10. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

I just hate PAL soo goddamn much!! /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

11. Darkseed

Darkseed Well-Known Member

"The Tekken series, IMO, is the new MK... as in, people will look back on it 5 years from now and say "why the heck were we playing that POS when so much better was available?""

I couldn't agree with you more *standing ovation* /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

lol, you damn right!/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

13. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

roflol

That is sooo true.

I dunno if it falls into the same category, but I for one somewhat enjoyed Rareware's Killer Instinct. There was something strangely addicting with the insane strings and ultra combos. And Killer Instinct Gold was, when you get past the awful appearance and crap character designs, pretty deep. With ultra uppers, counters and more.

14. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

daaaamn straight mirkan! I still to this day play on my KI arcade board almost every day! KI 2 sucked though!

15. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

That's a bit harsh, though true. I still think MK2 was and still is a damn good fighter though.

16. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

As a serious player I enjoyed MK2 more than SSF(or SSFT).
    Ok at the time, in SF all special moves could be grouped into just 4 or 5 categories(it's true), with each chara having 3/4 of them. (it became painfully apparent by SSFT)
    MK2 moves were more functionally original (teleporting, ice puddles, invisibility, quakes, etc), everyone's tools were more different. And MK definitely had more charisma. And damn it it just played smoother.
    I liked Killer Instinct better than both. 2 words: Top Attacks (better known as overheads today. KI started it, didn't you know)

17. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

5 years from now they'll say "we should have played soul calibur. we should have passed soul calibur down generations. we should have delivered electricity and dreamcasts and soul calibur to 3rd world countries"

18. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

i doubt it, an thats why u hate pal games so much when i think its cool to hav a diferent version of a game, an u didnt even know pal60 an ntsc are the same frame rate,just i different colour subcarrier and infact better resolution then ntsc! hell real hard core gamers know this stuff from like 10 year ago!

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"""infact better resolution then ntsc"""

SO TRUE

20. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

your such an idiot who dosent know shit, I know if a PAL has 60htz mode it's gonna run in the same speed as NTSC, but if you turn on that mode the reselution is gonna be the same you dumb moron.
    anyways I havent played a PAL game since 1993 or soo and I dont intend to, I mean why?? when I can get Jap and US games which are 10 times better, why settle for crap like PAL??