1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Movie recomendations

Discussion in 'General' started by tonyfamilia, Oct 5, 2009.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

So I finally got NetFlix a couple of months ago and I wanted to know what movies you guys thought were good. Old or new, no matter the genre.
    I'll kick it off by saying that I really enjoyed Wall-E and Ip Man. Both really surprised me by how good they were. I don't know, maybe it's cuz I had low expectations when I started watching them, lol.

2. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    Sword of The Stranger = WOW, saw it 4 times in a matter of 3 days. WTF

3. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    The Mechanic with Charles Bronson. I saw it a few months ago on netflix so I don't know if it's still available for stream, but it's a really cool movie. He plays a hitman who takes in and trains some young kid. It's pretty smart and it has a cool ending.

4. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    IP Man (starring donnie Yen) is off the hook
    The Rebel from (Dragon Dynasty)
    Red Belt
    Protege from (Dragon Dynasty)
    Kill zone from (Dragon Dyansty)
    Legend of the Black Scorpion (Dragon Dynasty)
    The Empress and the Warriors (Dragon Dynasty)
    Flash Point (Dragon Dynasty)
    City of Violence (Dragon Dynasty)
    Versus
    Chocolate
    Death Note 1, 2, and 3

5. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Was red belt good?

IMO I hated city of Violence, But loved Chocolate and Versus (Which has Hideo Kojima in it as a zombie and is by the director of the game cube metal gear: twin snakes)

6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I guess if I had to rank those city of violence would be the weakest on the list, must have been some nice girls in it though [​IMG]

I thought redbelt was proper. It was real... like real life real. Hideo is the man [​IMG] I'm down with him in MGS4 and Zone of the Enders 2nd runner and OPS on the PSP

7. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Brotherhood Of The Wolf
    Time Bandits
    Goonies
    Blade Runner
    The Last Dragon
    Big Trouble In Little China
    Trading Places
    Red Dwarf Series
    Jeckyl and Hyde UK Series
    The Seeker
    True Blood
    Army Of Darkness
    I'll add more later..

Enjoy.

8. tonyfamilia

Dude, Legend of The Black Scorpion sucked dragon balls. Seriously though, that movie sucked. Hard.

@Tim: Goonies ftw! Still haven't watched Blade Runner though (shame really).

9. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    The Dark Knight.

10. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Beside the black chick and Rouge True Blood has the worst southern accents I have ever heard. I guess thats what happens when you get a bunch of yankees trying to act like true southern (aka Larry the cable guy)

11. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

I'm going to recommend some really fucked up movies. I liked these films, but they are disturbing (some more than others).

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

OldBoy (wow, what a film)
    Teeth
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
    Requiem for a Dream
    American Psycho
    The Aristocrats (its a comedy/documentary about a really really dirty joke. hilarious)

Theres a lot more out there, but these just came to mind.

12. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

ROFLMBBAO [​IMG] Perhaps we are talking about different movies [​IMG]
    C'mon ZIYI Zhang is totally hot in this movie. Her appearance alone.... [​IMG] gets it at least 2 out of 4 stars [​IMG]
    The wardrobe and cinematography are worth at least another star that takes us to 3 out of 4 stars, and if you listened to the movie in one of the more original languages with subtitles,
    then UR all the way there.

Now on the other hand that flick named the "Black Scorpion" really did suck [​IMG]

You should treat yourself to Blade Runner, and the book its based off of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" (Phillip K Dick) is a good read too.

The movie "Old Boy" (yeeah buddy...) was off the hook. The movie "Teeth" though looks like it hits way to close to home.
    I didn't watch that one, if its the one I'm thinking about, there's some Asian babe who has a vagina with teeth. I didn't want to go down that road so I never watched it.

[/size]

13. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

14. DrWoo

DrWoo Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Yquem2k1
    Shawn of the Dead & Hot Fuzz
    The Devil's Rejects
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Children of men
    Dog Bite Dog
    Arrivederci Amore, Ciao
    The Nest (good french actioner!)
    Pusher trilogy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du5iRYRK9yQ

and last but not least, Paprika by Satoshi Kon, best anime ever made IMO.

15. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    High praise indeed. I hope it doesn't disappoint me.

16. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

If you like Ip Man, I'll recommend "Fearless" to you Tony.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_%282006_film%29

Remember to get the Director Cut version if you can, and I think it's the best martial movie I have ever seen.

17. tonyfamilia

Already watched that, Dennis [​IMG] I saw it in the theater and I bought the director's cut on DVD the first day it came out, that's how much I liked it. It replaced Fist of Legend as my favorite Jet Li film.

MasterPo, sorry but the action in that movie sucks. It's like it was choreographed by an emo fight sequence director. I don't mind beautiful scenery and lush cinematography like in House of Flying Daggers. Now THAT'S a great film with artsy scenes but the action AND the story are also really well done. Legend of Black Scorpion fails in all categories except for cinematography. Zhang doesn't even look as hot as she usually does in that one either.

If you love Zhang then check her out in Memoirs of a Geisha. That one lacks action but the story is awesome, great cinematography AND Zhang looks smoking hot.

P.S.
    I take it by your "ROFLMBBAO" that you're black. And all this time I thought you was asian =/
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the recommendations VF fam.

18. N0tThiSTiMe

N0tThiSTiMe Member

If you liked Flyin' Daggers you should watch Curse of the Golden Flower. There is also a new Jet Li film called Warlord I think that's considered his best ever performance, but I haven't had chance to see it yet. Mongol is good as well, only in subtitles tho, Korean film I think.

I'd also check out Way of the Gun with Benicio del Toro, and Open Range has one of the sickest shootouts I've seen; Heat and Leon are older but also great.

19. Dennis0201

Yes, I love "Fist of Legend" too~
    Btw, there are a lot of good TV dramas you can also get from Netflix, and I think most of them are even better than regular movies.

20. Dennis0201

Yes, The Warlords is also one of the best movies of Jet Li.
    It talks about brotherhood and how they are betrayed.

<object width="480" height="295"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ok_5CKAOch8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ok_5CKAOch8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="295"> </embed></object>

If you like scary movie, I suggest you to get "Shutter" if you dare!!! Remember to get the original Thai version not the US version!! You can browse this movie on Netflix.
    <object width="480" height="295"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/syG9cf_ChGI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/syG9cf_ChGI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="295"> </embed></object>

I don't why US version always fuck up, and I think American focus on special effect too much which is not necessary.
    <object width="480" height="295"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FeAj8u2xhDo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FeAj8u2xhDo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="295"> </embed></object>