1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MOVIES!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Nov 14, 1999.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I am looking for movies of any VF3 or tb. Any thing from just ppl playing on the DC or arcade. To gamest's. I have the AkiraKid VF2 tape and want more. =)
    I have over 15 tournys gamests ect for SF and know how much they helped me.
    I am willing to pay for them.If you have any Email me at cigarbob@basinonline.com

Thanks

Im a VF scrub. If you are looking for a arcade quality controller for the home system Email me.

2. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Wait.......
    elaborate a bit here. Are you looking for Movies, Tapes, OR the Gamest Mooks ???
    If you're looking for Movies, you can download them from here, or from hardcoregaming. If you're looking for Tapes, I've no idea..... and if you're looking for mooks......

Anyway, here's the internet sources you can get them from.
    Movies :
    http://www.hardcoregaming.com
    Look under their VF3 segment.

http://www.virtuafighter.com
    Look under the various character names for their combo movies.

Gamest Mooks :
    http://www.kinokuniya.com
    For Kinokuniya, you may have to ask them to order the Mooks for you. Get the ISBN numbers from one of the pages in this forum.

http://www.pegasus-group.com/
    Again, you would need the ISBN numbers to order from them online.

Hope all this helps. /images/icons/smile.gif

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hey, we should trade vf tapes, I have a large collection
    of vf tapes including the hard to find Wheel of fortune vf2 tapes (copies of all of them).
    tell me which vf videos you have so we could trade (u know: I'll make u a copy of mine, you'll make
    a copy of yours).

PS. SHOTA if you are reading this, did you got a hold%2

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey Piccolo, I live all the way out in Oregon and I am desperate to see any VF3tb tapes of high level combat. I figure a lot of that's in your collection. Anyways, would you be willing to send me a copy of anything if I covered the video and shipping costs? And if your principles allow it, I would even allow you to profit from it (all in good will and support of course :).
    I guess what I'm looking for his at least "good" level play for my educational purposes and if you have some entertaining games (that experts and newbies can appreciate of course) I'd like a collection of those... I'm trying to convince more and more friends the greatness that is VF :) I'm also trying to learn how the game is really played be it from good to great to expert players in the US, Korea, Japan, ANYWHERE :)
    I hope you're interested. If you require it, maybe I can even get you some anime (though you probably have your connections and channels already). I can't really get you 1st gen, but I should be able to get some good stuff up to 2nd gen.
    -Chanchai

5. Rulakir

You know, we <font color=red>SHOULD</font color=red> have a central resource. I mean, yes, we have FAQs, yes we have mooks, and even yes, we have combo movies, but not you would notice that for some darn reason, VF tapes are <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> widely distributed/available.

Granted that the tapes are expensive in the first place, but eventually, copies of it should be able to flow around right ? To date, I remember 2 people owing me tapes, and I'm still waiting for them on their side. /images/icons/frown.gif The other bad thing being that they practically disappeared from the face of the VF Scene doesn't make it any better. /images/icons/frown.gif

Hmm... Piccolo, what do you have on you ? /images/icons/smile.gif I've got a copy of the Local Tournament Wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy back in June, and to be honest, the gameplay is not that impressive. /images/icons/frown.gif I only have about 2 copies of it left, and one is due to Jeff when he returns and gets it from me. /images/icons/wink.gif

Also, I agree with ChanChai there. /images/icons/smile.gif Would you be willing to make replicates if we were willing to reimburse you for your troubles ? /images/icons/smile.gif I need various resources, which I'm already begging Jeff to obtain for me, so that I can finally RAISE the standards of the bleeding amatuers here in Singapore. Man.... I keep wondering why players here can't visualize VF mentally, and need graphical aids.

Anyway, get back to us okay ? Thanks. /images/icons/smile.gif

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Im looking for anything and every thing. Gamest Videos I love them(its a shame they are out of buisness) Tourny videos, sparing videos, any thing I can have in my hot little hands. Mooks I dont think would do so well for me I can't read it. Again I am willing to pay.

later
    CigarBoB

Im a VF scrub. If you are looking for a arcade quality controller for the home system Email me.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking...

VHS is an inconvenient format, primarily because it's difficult for the average person (me!!) to be able to slice and combine interesting parts together into a single package. The Chicago Gathering, for example, probably has over 50 hours of VF, and not all of them very worthwile to watch.

So what other alternatives can we pursue?

I was thinking of actually making a CD-ROM(s) of movies.

I can capture video with my TV Tuner card (though I'd need to mooch a VCR from someone), and only compile/compress the interesting matches. The championship movie recently posted at HG only takes up about 15 megs for four rounds, so I figure approximately 4 megs per round. That gives us a comfortable head space on a 650 meg disc--we should be able to fit in approximately 150 rounds, which is about maybe 25-30 matches per disc.

These CD movies should be relatively easy to make and produce, and they should be accessible to anyone with a basic computer (I can include the most recent codecs just in case). I can even sell these CDs at a small profit to help fund this site, which I am currently bleeding cash from. /images/icons/crazy.gif

As an alternative, the original tapes could always be duplicated and sold/given away as well. However, they will most likely be more expensive, slower to make and send, and will probably be unedited.

What do you all think?

ice-9 | Sennin

8. Chanchai

Re: This is what I was thinking...

To Ice-9:
    I honestly really like your idea. And I'm totally up for it. In fact, if it is you that edits and handles these CD-Roms, I think it would be cool if you used profits to fund the site. After all, it's a give and take world isn't it? How much do you think the CDs would be?
    If you want, I have access to tape editing equipment and would actually love to edit vhs tapes if anyone gives me any sort of vague specs on what they would like it to be like. Without one, I could just counsel over email and figure it out. I could handle distribution of those (but New York, Chicago, etc... seem like better places because of demand and lower shipping costs than Oregon) and proceeds could also go to the site. I'd be up for that :)
    Altogether, I'm completely for the CD-Rom idea. And for those that want VHS, I personally would not mind editing with proper equipment and such, which I have access to in different directions, tapes for the VHS market. Of course I think the CD-Rom's would be cool because they could have some stuff like background info on html or txt files and such or even multimedia and all. Lots of potential for everything :)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that is a great Idea. Hell you could take it eaven further. Make conbo V-cd's there is another site that is thinking about doing that it is www.fightrs.net your Idea is great. But I still would love to have the tapes fo them only beacuse I love to watch them when I get tiered of tv shows.
    And like chanchi said the procedes can go to helping make the site better.
    Keep us posted on how it is coming. I cant wait.
    OH BTW ill be geting the VF3 worlds here pretty soon if anyone is intrested in a copy.

later

10. Rulakir

I'm wholly for the CD Format, though the only problem might just be the conversion of it into a format akin to VCDs (Mpeg?) in order for it to be viable. /images/icons/smile.gif (To watch on TV, <font color=red>AND</font color=red> on computers. Secondly, the cost of producing the tapes in CDs is actually only a one time cost. And this is especially easy if you have a "burner deck" (aka Pirate Deck). /images/icons/wink.gif Not to mention the fact that CDs are practically immortal in terms of lastibilty. /images/icons/smile.gif

Next thing is, since the various tourney tapes we have are all unique AND original, there's no damn way anyone can sue us for mass producing them. /images/icons/wink.gif Though the problem would come when tapes such as the Character Videos and such are involved. (Since, there WILL be irritating legalists among us.) /images/icons/frown.gif

And, I like the idea of having sales items such as these to fund VFDC as a whole. Its totally unfair for Jeff to keep up payments and such from his own wallet, and us benefitting from it. Maybe even let him earn a minor profit from it. /images/icons/wink.gif Besides, if we can concentrate all VF information/sources at VFDC, this place would truely <font color=red>BE THE MAIN SOURCE OF INFORMATION FOR VF</font color=red> in the <font color=red>ENGLISH</font color=red> speaking regions. Heck, for all you know, we might even be able to get a monopoly on this. Heh.... /images/icons/wink.gif And of course, there's always the inane dream that we can be the Gamest equivalents of Japan. Who knows how things would lead on from there ?

Okay, I'm the first one to say "YES!!!!" to tapes and such. Gimme what you have !!! *Drools in anticipation* /images/icons/smile.gif

11. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

If you wanna give it a whirl with these first, I can make your copies first of the Omaha gathering / "Max" stuff. Lord knows there enough to edit out there. Especially that sad Sarah player :p (Hey it was 4 in the morning...I seem to remember all of us having some problems)

12. Rulakir

Hmm.... maybe we oughtta make Jeff the Official "VF Sources Librarian." /images/icons/tongue.gif Hmm.... that doesn't sound impressive enough... anyone have any better ideas ? I'm thinking "High Virtua Fighter Archivist." /images/icons/smile.gif

Are we agreed on this then ? /images/icons/tongue.gif If so, lets start sending him what footage we have. /images/icons/smile.gif

13. Chanchai

What would Jeff consider doing?

I was wondering what you would consider doing, Jeff?
    What I mean is, as far as the CDs are concerned, what types of CDs would you be willing to put together? I do think that there should really be a way to compensate not just for the site but for your efforts if you do make these discs. It really does take time and effort and I don't want anyone forgetting or neglecting that.
    Would you be making individual CDs focusing on particular tournaments? Some ideas I've thought up: Combo CDs, Character CDs, Seasonal CDs for each category, Step 1 CDs (including step 1 faqs and accompanying movies with some match movies) and progress to step 3 cds, profile cds (profiles of some of the recognized VF3tb players including clips, biography, input and articles written by that player), Expert CDs (clips from the experts and maybe even a document on commentary: psychological aspect, chosen arsenal, etc..)....

Anyways, these are some ideas. Ideas that don't just limit to you but even your friends and those you know who would be willing to take on this whole thing. Of course, the focus of the CDs would not to be to take anything away from virtuafighter.com. In fact I think virtuafighter.com should have a lot of exclusives as well to keep the balance and make sure that people buying CDs don't stop coming to virtuafighter.com.
    However, I can see a network of virtuafighter.com staff and fans who could really help out the VF community in the US and even other countries (Canada definitely not excluded ;) by starting up a good archive and distribution of all of this.
    As mentioned, we could practically be the next best thing to Gamest in the US :) Maybe even better ^_^
    Price would be an issue that would be kind of hard to settle on... And most likely it'll probably mostly be set for the initial supply and demand of the CDs because after awhile people will probably be copying them to each other. Which is a good thing for the VF community.... besides, if for some miracle VF3tb gets to a good level of real activity in all 50 states, that would be like 50cds at least (at least 1 per state) and it would be cool. Don't know if anyone is understanding my rant. I'm not talking about mass profits here.... but I do think that this should end up in a good gain for Jeff (and anyone who decides to work with him on this) as well as the community and would-be members. I hope everyone can picture what I'm talking about and hopefully much more as well :) I think the best thing would be for Jeff to form a group to work on whatever ends up being decided and at the same time I would definitely credit Jeff for this idea (it was his from the start), executing the idea, and definitely his efforts to push for growth in the community.
    -Chanchai

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

ChanChai, that sounds exceedingly generous! There's still a lot to do, so let's see how the CD-ROM movie thing plays itself out first...

ice-9 | Sennin

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Nutlog, I gave Rodney $20 to pass on to you...please use it to make copies of the Max tapes for me and send it to my address. Send me an e-mail and I'll let you know my mailing address.

ice-9 | Sennin

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: What would Jeff consider doing?

Chanchai, you are echoing my vision for this CD-ROM thing. If the Omaha CD-ROMs become a success, I have given serious thoughts into creating multimedia Step guides for all the characters. I can make movies of the important moves, combos, etc. and I can include text files to go along with the movies. If I can sell these for a profit, that would provide more incentive for me to actually do stuff, although I must warn you that my time is severely limited at the moment. /images/icons/mad.gif

I personally don't mind if people distribute their copy to their friends, as long as they're not doing it commercially (i.e. charging people for my work). The goal really is to spread VF as much as possible.

A lot of what goes into these CD-ROMs will be posted here at VFDC of course (especially the written parts), but obviously I won't be putting up 650 MBs of videos on this site.

On that note, I will probably be making these movies in .mpeg or .mov files--any preferences?

ice-9 | Sennin

17. Rulakir

I suggest Mpeg format, Since you can play them both on a VCD player(?) and on PC, compared to .Movs. The other thing that I would suggest, is to propagate the existing footages that are already available.

The ones that I would really LOVE to get my hands on right now, are the character videos. Granted that the Character Videos <font color=red>ARE OB</font color=red>, but nonetheless, they give a total initiate of VF an idea of flow. Of how the character is supposed to be played. Basically, its provides a basic idea. Besides, with the character videos, and the contents in them, a total beginner can make an almost immediate jump to average. (With practise of course.) This would cut down a LOT in terms of questions. The other sets of Video that I would love to see, are the ones of the various tourneys (Java Tea, Max. Battle.) or of the various gatherings that were taken some time back ?

Why do I opt for these videos first ? Firstly, the existing batch of Character Videos are already complete, and have not much difference (By not much, I'm refering to the flowchart demonstrations, analysis and gameplay.) from TB, the only exceptions being perhaps Lau, and Taka. The gathering tapes would let players have an idea what level of gameplay can be attained. (Basic Gameplay, if nothing else.) Not to mention the fact that temporarily, VF should have a temporary resurgence, if nothing else, due to the information released. (Note that not everyone in the world has access to Gamest Mooks, Tapes, blah blah blah, and FAQs, as already battered through in a previous thread, aren't totally perfect.)

On a more.... "political" side, this would boast the popularity of VFDC media. And also give Jeff a period of time before he can produce the newer, more up to date multimedia guides. Not to mention the fact that having a CD/VCD of everything that's supposed to be new is a lot easier compared to having download everything from scratch. (Think of those poor people still using 14.4KBPS modems.... /images/icons/tongue.gif)

Again, this is wholly up to Jeff. /images/icons/smile.gif

18. Chanchai

Personally, either format works for me. As for time, I can totally understand. I am an extremely busy person myself, but somehow find the time to do some things when I am motivated.
    I hope my enthusiasm isn't overbearing for most people right now. But I do see some potential for things. I also do play skeptic, but if we don't try it out, we'll never know for sure. Not to mention that a growth in VF is just one of the goals I see in the CD-Rom project. I also see it as a great way to improve the quality of play within our VF3 loving community.
    Maybe someone could even interview the top Japan players too (sorry if that was a bit off-topic but I can see where it would fit in).
    As wonderful as it is for us, it's also what makes it hard for newbies to appreciate that which is VF... The aspect which makes it this way is that WE can feel VF... Newbies can only see VF and the game wasn't designed to have the flashy type visuals of Tekken or Soul Caliber... It's something hard to communicate... So I hope some great videos will somehow convey that feel visually... At least convey it in a way that even the newbie will understand. That's where commentaries would be cool. However, writing up commentaries can be simple or extremely time consuming depending on the level of detail put into it... Unfortunately, great commentary which is put in a language for the beginner or step 1 player to fully understand is time consuming... IF someone was able to do this, it would be great. However, let's see how the first CD comes out. At the very least it'll be just some videos and even that will satisfy me. But I do see a lot of stylistic and informational additions to the CD which would make it wonderful. As well as a lot of other things. But in general, I don't want to put too much pressure on Jeff on this thing, just let him know that we appreciate it if it comes out and if he decides to add a lot to this or finds some neat things to do with it, we would totally applaud that.
    Anyways, sorry to shift Jeff into the center and outside of the audience (hope that made sense). I'm kind of writing this for Jeff and at the same time for everyone who's interested in this whole project.
    -Chanchai

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: MPGs

/images/icons/crazy.gif/images/icons/smile.gif/images/icons/wink.gif/images/icons/smile.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/crazy.gif/images/icons/smile.gif/images/icons/wink.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/smile.gif/images/icons/wink.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/crazy.gif/images/icons/wink.gif/images/icons/smile.gif

As you can tell I'm pretty excited about this VFCD project. Oh yeah, preferred format would be MPGs without a doubt (for the reasons <font color=red>Rulakir</font color=red> mentioned, and more).

<font color=red>Rulakir</font color=red> man, still on a 14.4K modem? tsk tsk /images/icons/wink.gif

__
    Myke

20. Rulakir

Re: MPGs

Actually, I'm on a Cable modem at home, and a T1 connection at my workplace, another 56.6KBPS line at my other home. /images/icons/laugh.gif /images/icons/crazy.gif /images/icons/smile.gif /images/icons/laugh.gif Its my VF crazy cousin who's on the 14.4 KBPS. /images/icons/frown.gif His mother is of the impression that if he has a slow connection, he'll stay off the internet, and therefore bad influences. /images/icons/mad.gif Talk about Parental Censorship. /images/icons/mad.gif

Meanwhile, the question arises among our minds.... what will Jeff do ? /images/icons/laugh.gif The best part is, if he can get it all done before he comes back to Singapore, and pass them to me, I'll bet my next erm.... 50 VF games that there'll be a revival of VF. In fact, I'm perfectly <font color=red>WILLING</font color=red> to lose the next 50 games to Jeff. /images/icons/tongue.gif /images/icons/smile.gif /images/icons/crazy.gif Not that he needs me to let him win of course. /images/icons/smile.gif /images/icons/tongue.gif

So Jeff, What WILL you do ?

-Rulakir