1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MS to end XBL service for original Xbox games

Discussion in 'General' started by Kruza, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Interesting article here:

Microsoft: No more original Xbox games over Xbox Live

This will likely mean an expanded Friends list for Xbox Live users that actually exceeds 100. Hopefully this means an expanded Xbox Live Party group capacity that can host more than 8 members too.

Kruza

2. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    hmm so no more CVS 2?

3. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Read this early, pretty stupid thing to do imo. Their excuse for it is a load of bollocks too, surely they can update the size of the friends list and everything else without removing the backwards compatibility.

4. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Hmmm, i just wish they'd update the compatible games catalog,
    I got a copy of Guilty Gear X2 and Capcom Vs SNK 2 sitting on my shelf gathering dust [​IMG]

5. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    So basically some years from now we won't be able to play VF5 online [​IMG]

6. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

GGXX is backwards compatible... The netcode sucks still, but u can play it on the 360 for now...

7. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

And people pay for this service, lol. PC gaming, FTW!

8. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    except this exact same thing has happened countless times to pc games as well?

when valve transitioned from won to steam comes to mind (and remember that steam at that time was incredibly buggy and didn't have any of the features that makes it popular today).

plus, what does anyone even play online for the xbox 180 anymore? phantom dust? most of those games are long gone or have pc ports anyways, so i don't see where the problem here is. shutting down servers is inherent of online gaming (alien front online ring a bell?), live with it or don't play online.

9. Flyingguillotine

Flyingguillotine Well-Known Member

This totally sucks and Microsoft can bite me. I play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, best damn vs mode EVER made online , on XBL all the time. This game made XBL superior practically single handedly for me. Only players with skills realise this. Plus I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 , only the second best MP experience I've ever played on live. I have Splinter Cell Double Agent , the MP sucks, it was obviously rushed, looks slapped together and is full of bugs. Lucasarts has yet to make a succesor to SW BF2 after 5 years of 360 . I still play Halo 2 online. I favor the classic feel and control. Plus I paid top dollar for DLC for those three games. Is microsuck going to pay me back for that when they pull the plug?? They absolutely suck. As much money as they throw around for $50 million dollar bribes to Square Enix , Rockstar and Bioware , they can afford to keep two separate servers , one for XB1 and 1 for 360.

10. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Only in the US I'm afraid, Ive even seen it on the US marketplace site for 800 ms points. Silly why we cant play it.

11. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

The problem is that not only are you cut off from online play, but also the DLC you payed for. So, if you try to play PGR 2 and didn't get a chance to redownload the DLC packs "Booster Packs(Paris and Long Beach)" To your 360, than my friend your done, no way of getting that content back, ever.

This rarely happens to PC gaming in general, you have the community holding shit down, from patches, DLC's and online play. Usually, cut-off's happens to very unpopular MM0's(Like the Matrix)There's way more options in playing online games on the PC than in console, there's no debate. When this console makers gives us control to the content we PAYED for, than I'll buy more DLC content on consoles, but as of now, this console makers could eat a dick!

12. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    i'm sure there will be people distributing iso's of games with all of the dlc for use on an original xbox, so i don't see where the big problem here is.

also, i think it's unfair to say that pc gaming in general gives you more options for online play, only because said options can vary greatly from game to game. i'm sure there's pc games that have been shut down and people have wanted to make private servers for, but weren't able to; whereas phantasy star online has had private servers for years now.

granted, this is the exception, but it's presumptuous to say that pc games are always going to be able to be played online; since for all we know, valve may do the same thing to their goldsrc games as microsoft just has to their original xbox games!

also my copy of t6 is in the mail, we need to mash that shitty ass 3d melty blood.

13. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I'm the one waiting for SpikeOut on Xbox360, but now it's pointless.

14. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

Me personally, I was waiting on Otogi and Otogi 2 to be backwards compatible... Guess I gotta dig in the attic for the old school xbox...

15. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Yep, Yep, Microsoft will FU@K you whenever and however they please. From day one, they played the no-backward-compatibility game. And its always been a now-we-support-it-now-we-don't hat trick. I don't see how you XBOX fans make it. First Microsoft gave you a next gen console that had at minimum a 1/3 failure rate giving hundreds of thousands of gamers RROD in some cases multiple times. Now they pull the plug on backward compatibility. How do you cats stay loyal to this bull$%#*

Is the XBOX really so much better than the PS3-PSP-PSN combination that the XBOX fans are willing to take all of this
    crap [​IMG]

You pay for your online service
    No real support blu-ray
    Poor hard drive support
    Still high failure rates of the XBOX (RROD)
    Microsoft giveth and taketh away at will.

I use to argue over the merits between PS3 and XBox with my boys, now I just feel sorry the for the Xbox owners. Constantly getting shagged with no vasaline.

As much as I love VF, I'll play it offline with me mates and wait until Sega adds online to the PS3 version. No game is worth the crap that the Xbox owners go through [​IMG]

16. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Ive had no problems with my xbox

17. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

This.

They fix RROD for free on an unlimited warranty even if you did have an issue. Even if you bought a 360 on day one, they'll still fix RROD for free, there's no time limit.

I gave up PS2 when I bought the original XBOX, I knew I'd probably never go back after I played Morrowind. Honestly, I haven't regretted that decision to this day.

I really like XBOX360 and I think it's a great product. Yeah, there were some kinks for sure but I'm confident you won't see that much anymore. If you went out and bought a new 360 today, I don't think you'd get RROD. At this point, the 'one in three fails" is just something that PS3 owners cling to for some reason.

The "you have to pay for online" is so bogus it hurts. It's $50 for an entire year, that's nothing. And for that paltry sum you get a vastly superior online experience.

I firmly remain standing in the XBOX camp.

18. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    360 is indeed pretty awesome.
    here is why i bought it (in random order)-
    1. BETTER ONLINE- 50$ a year is indeed nothing, and I'll gladly pay it to have less lag.
    2. Cheaper- Originally ps3 was just so freaking expensive compared to the 360 (still is, but atleast now ps3 is affordable)
    3. Few exclusives for ps3- In the beginning there were very few good exclusives for ps3, most of the good games were for both platforms.
    4. Other- i just generally like the controller of a 360 better, and my old roommate had a 360 so I was probably just used to playing on one.
    5. Probably the biggest reason i would be sad over losing a 360 now though is because VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 IS ONLY ONLINE FOR THE 360!

HOWEVER, lately I wish I had a ps3 for the following reasons-
    1. Good exclusives coming out for ps3- things like FFversus13 (made by KH group), Demons souls, uncharted, mgs4, etc.
    2. constantly scared my 360 will die- It RRODed once, so im terrified it will happen again eek!

one day i may get a ps3, although as of right now I don't have the money.

ALSO I once owned a wii, I sold it, its a shitty system with terrible games. Only decent game is brawl (which isnt really better then melee anyway). Twilight princess was the worst 3D zelda, and no other game is good enough on there to make it worth getting. (Moding it is cool though)

19. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    I love my Xbox 360 too. I don't mind paying the 50 bucks per year charge for Xbox Live considering the little number of problems I've had with the service.

Besides, what's to say that the multiplayer online games which were still popular on Xbox 1 won't be released on Marketplace for the 360 sometime down the road?

Kruza

20. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    360 has cave shooters