1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Must you really watch your stance all the time?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Pinkgirl, May 29, 2002.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

I'd just like to know - this is a question for those of you who like doing stance-dependent combos - do you guys REALLY watch your stance all the time???

If so, how do you keep up with it as the game progresses???

Are there any "shortcuts" (e.g. you've memorised under certain circumstances, you'll definitely be in an open stance w/ your opponent, etc)? Any tips?

Or are you really watching and reacting there n then (in which case, a big wow to your reflexes!)?

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

You can check your stance easily: if you see one character's back, you're in closed stance, while if you see both (or none) you're in open stance. I generally only check when I think I have a combo opportunity.

3. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

you should also check when you do half-circular moves. for instance, akira's SPoD hits those who dodge to his front, but his DFS only hits those who dodge to his back; thus if you want to nail dodgers, you need to beware of this.

ways to keep up w/it; sometimes you should remember what moves you do will change your stance, other times, you can quickly look to see how many "backs" and "fronts" you see.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The other guys already mentioned seeing 2 fronts or 2 backs (open) vs. 1 of each (closed) - To answer the topic question - it's less important than it used to be, with the increased throw ranges. Certain combos are very useful and it pays to be able to use stance in that situation, for example lau's hopkick --> b,f+P --> d+P --> D/F+P --> d/f+P+K ... or Akira's shrm --> P --> DJK. It's a lot easier to do than shrm, p, m-shrm, m-dbpm ... pretty much impossible to screw up. Stance is one reason akira players don't use it all the time.

Other than that, some moves used to whiff in some situations thanks to stance - I haven't noticed that anymore.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Stance is important mainly for maximizing damage in combos at our level, and for certain characters, I keep track of it all the time (OK, OK, most of the time).

6. Pinkgirl

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

ways to keep up w/it; sometimes you should remember what moves you do will change your stance, other times, you can quickly look to see how many "backs" and "fronts" you see.

<hr></blockquote> Yeah, but re the latter point, the game proceeds quite too fast for me to do that! And re the former point, trouble is, you have to watch your opponent's moves too, not just your own...

7. Pinkgirl

Yes I know what you mean... to decrease the possibility of "wasted chances" (e.g. stance-dependent Jacky combos - did you see the movies? Whoo! /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif)...

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I think it's harder/more demanding to keep track of the stance throughout the entire round, especially when you consider how often stances change.

I find it easier/less demanding to take a mental snapshot of the stance just prior to doing a combo-starting move, and then go from there. And you don't need lightning fast reflexes for this either, because you're taking note of the stance in anticipation of an event (i.e. before you attack) rather than reacting to an event you weren't expecting.

Just to reiterate what was already mentioned, I find it easier to look at the character's front and back rather than feet. And some further advice which may seem obvious, but nonetheless important, is to know your stance combos by heart! Finally, some moves, especially the long counterable ones, will recover in a 'weird' animation so try to find a way of recognising whether it's in open or closed stance, otherwise you'd have to remember their stance before they attacked.

9. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Also in Openstance it is easier to struggle out of staggers to avoid throws and in some situations (like guarding a high punch) you can duck a throw attempt in OS but not in CS.

Lastly some moves will actually change a characters stance if they hit them like a MC sidekick or Akira's SgPm.

10. scolaire

scolaire Well-Known Member

Stances make up a significant part of the game. A person who is stance "blind" is effectively missing out on the bonus damage.

It took me a while to get used to the stance part. And, it helped a big deal.

11. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Agree. Stance adds even more depth to the game.

It is not necessary to be able to tell the stance, but

if you can, you have an advantage over ppl who can't.

12. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Wildy!!! This thread is already a year old!!!