1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

my account on NYG2

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by sta783, Sep 25, 2000.

1. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I realize I've never submitted my account on NYG2 (nor has Adam or Andy...HINT!). So here is my take on it.

Gameplay wise, not much has changed since last year. If anything, a few selected players played more machi game. I actually welcome the change as it gives me more challenge.

Well...that doesn't say much, does it? Let me try to be more specific....

Character representation was ok, definitely missing experts on half of the characters. To my (pleasant) surprise, there was no expert using Kage (Rich simply did NOT play). In my opinion, Kage is a MACHINE and would have given my Lau a lot of troubles. Following characters lacked competent players at NYG2: Jacky, Sarah, Kage, Taka.

Slightly more option-select defense techniques. G-TE was definitely more common, and E-G-TE here and there. On the other hand, Attack-TE was rare and could have been used at many circumstances.

Fun momemts:

Team-battle with Nelson, Hiro. The match was in Normal mode, but each player taking a round, going up against other single-players. This ended up trying to decide useless player in the team. Well, it depended a lot on the charater we picked. Lau, Lion, Jacky...I'm OK. With Kage or Sarah, P/elbow/low-K all day. I don't know what they expected out of my Wolf...or Shun. For some reason, Hiro loved to blame on me...(but my Wolf sometimes outperformed his!)

Emil & Adam's trademark "Bbbbodychhhheck!" in Killer Instinct style. It's just funny listening to Emil's barbaric trash-talk as we play. I think I ate his 120pts MC Bodycheck on one occassion losing a match (after blocking Akira's single-palm, I did P, then of course Emil's deep BC going right through my P).

Watch Any agonizing over his "head-jerk", and everyone (Emil most notable) screaming sarcasm every time it happened. Instead of Andy's intended throw, character's head "jerks" and nothing comes out. Not only costing Andy a match, it did mess up his entire composure. Well...I think Andy was inputting the commands way too fast.

Listening to Hiro's famous lectures. I already know all the stuff too!! More often than not though, his advice on particular player was very accurate. "Use only circular moves(Lau's roundhouse and sweep) against Peter's Lion. Lion doesn't have good counters against either move unless using buffered forward-dash > elbow trick."

Death-match against Hiro till 6AM in the morning. This was crazy, especially having my dose of alcohol. I played against Hiro the most out of all NYG2 participants. I usually try to kill my opponents as efficiently as possible, even using a single move over and over (with no remorse). Between Hiro and me, however, the match becomes to decide who is more clever/who can outwit the other. I cannot let Hiro win because I don't want to listen to his lecture. Hiro cannot lose because he won't have a chance to lecture me.

Anyway...lunch time now...let me grab some foods now. More to come later.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

FINALLY!!! Another person's account of NYG2!!!!

Thanks Shota, for the effort and the sincerity. I didn't know how long it was going to take before I hear another vfdc account of NYG2 with the exceptions of myself and Peter (thanks a lot to Peter for his account too). It was my first gathering, but I personally loved it.

Looking forward to your next post/images/icons/smile.gif on NYG2.

-Chanchai

3. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

Grrrr!

"Emil & Adam's trademark "Bbbbodychhhheck!" in Killer Instinct style. It's just funny listening to Emil's barbaric trash-talk as we play. I think I ate his 120pts MC Bodycheck on one occassion losing a match (after blocking Akira's single-palm, I did P, then of course Emil's deep BC going right through my P)."

BODYCHECK GOOD!!!!
    MACHI LAU BAD!!!!!

-Emil the Destroyer

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

heyyyyy duuude! you left out the best part, maaann! you know, where you and hiro ran around without any clothes ooonnnn, screaming "JAPAN NUMBER 1!!!" at the top of your lungs! like duuuude that was so raaad...

i would have done the same, mannn..but i forgot my velcro attachment penis at hoommme...and streaking around screaming your nationalistic pride just isn't the same when you've got no nads, maaannn...

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

5. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

you and hiro ran around without any clothes ooonnnn, screaming "JAPAN NUMBER 1!!!"

Haha....you got me right. But I'm not so sure if Hiro would do the same...a rather touchy subject.

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Haha....you got me right. But I'm not so sure if Hiro would do the same...a rather touchy subject.

really? in what way?

GE

7. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Re: more gameplay stuff

More gameplay stuff....

I also noticed that, after all these years, people were missing on some important stuff.

Most noticeable was many guaranteed throws missing after escaping opponent's throw, such as Jacky's d/f, d/f+PG, Wolf's d/f, d/f+PG...etc. These require no skill (i.e. mashing the buttons) as long as you know about it(that's the hard part, isn't it?)

When escaping Lion's f,f+PG, standard throw is guaranteed. Whoever escaped the throw should be going for a throw, while Lion should do TE.

When escaping Akira's d/f+PG, throwing again is never an option for either players. Against Emil, I was always able to P his another throw (probably d/f+PG). Against Adam, his simply waited crouching for my P to whiff, and...shoulder-ram!! It took me 2 of these incidents until I finally did elbow to stagger him.

Too many forward-rolls. When VF3 just came out (ugh...4 years ago), people found out that flipkick can punish forward-rolls. Then many refrained from forward-rolls. After a while though, people seemed to have forgotten about it, and they do a lots of forward rolls now. Flipkick may be a bit risky; simple low-K would stop it.

Going for a throw instead of guaranteed damage. Your opponent's energy is very low, and you block his high rising kick (he is desperate). What am I to do? PK, PPP, PP, anything that's guaranteed. However rare the throw is (Jeffry's d+PG), there still is a chance that your opponent is going to escape it. Why not finish him off for sure? Considering many come-back "accidents" that happened to me, I have no hesitation killing my opponent while I can. Unfortunately, heavies cannot do this as their P's are too slow.

These, especially the last one, would definitely win more matches. And they require no skill whatsoever as long as you remember to do it (I learned my lesson in a hard way = losing so much $$$).

Now...things we should be trying though it requires a bit more skill and effort. Some of these are my goals too.

Just as in VF3OB, throws are guaranteed after escaping Sarah's PG or Wolf's PG throws. Timing is a bit tricky, as you have to buffer in forward-E before pressing PG. Sarah's case is relatively easier. In many situations, this may separate winning from losing.

Nageoki (or placing a throw or throw mine bomb). Has it happened to you: you force a guessing game, go for a throw, but thrown instead? More likely, you opponent was trying to do throw escape in this situation. For example, after Lion's sidekick is blocked, Kage dashes forward for TFT, but if Lion buffered in HCB+PG, Lion's throw would win. This, in a way, creates reverse guessing game even though Lion is at disadvantage. Good thing about this is that your opponent will almost never escape your throw, unless by coincidence (in above case, Jacky's f,f,b+PG would have made such coincidence).
    Among the players I know, only Hiro's Wolf deliberately take advantage of this. There were many times I would do P/low-P > throw, but I'm GSed the next moment I know. I was able to nail a few people with this after my whiffed high rising-kick (though the success rate wasn't too great, probably 50%, but hey, it still doubles as TE).

Attack-TE. For the reason I mentioned above. If you're staggerd, and if you think he is gonna go fancy and CD(Ice-9 loves this...), do elbow-TE. If Jeff really did CD, your elbow will stagger him. If Jeff had really gone for a throw, you still have a chance of TE. Hiro does a ghetto version of this; low-TE > TE....nailing Jeff a lot of times at NYG1.

Foot-stance. I know it's hard...concentrating all the time...watching characters feet. Payoff is not immediate, but it will count when it needs to....connecting with most damaging combo when you need to...etc. Of course the importance of this varies a lot with different characters. However, Taka is perhaps the only character who doesn't need this.

My rumbling can continue but this seems to be the reasonable length to stop for a moment....

8. Mr. Bungle

heeyyyy mannn...

>Too many forward-rolls.

i do them all the time, and only because no one ever stops me. and i'm not about to tell them that what i'm doing is almost suicide...

>Flipkick may be a bit risky; simple low-K would stop it.

i prefer kickflip because a low kick doesn't MC, doesn't knock down, does less damage and doesn't really lead into any very effective guessing games. i'd rather have my 40-50+ points and be done with it.
    also the (low) flipkick recovers faster than one might think, and i think it's generally pretty safe to use in that circumstance. i've had it whiff and then nail people with a "throw bomb"..throw bombs rule. i do them often.

>Most noticeable was many guaranteed throws missing after escaping opponent's throw, such as

shota if i had a quarter for every free 40-90+ points that went by just completely wasted, even by competent players, i'd be a wealthy man from the last four years of seeing it happen...

even richer if i had a quarter for people doing riskier moves when all they needed was a P combo.

foot stance: yes, and also anyone who uses normal elbow-centric characters (kage, jacky et al) should heed that _especially_ (open is better).

--

9. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

I find Shota's observations extremely interesting and enlightening... /images/icons/smile.gif

But it just serves to tell me how inadequate my game play (not to mention technical know how....) has become in my relentless pursuit of flare, flash, and style. /images/icons/frown.gif And I kinda found it surprising that I actually forgotten much of what he pointed out....

Sigh......

Maybe it wasn't a mistake not to play Jeff when he was here in Singapore, now that I think about it. /images/icons/laugh.gif

-Rulakir

10. Mr. Bungle

wanted to add: a classic "throw mine bomb" that i loved to do..

i love to dodge at the beginning of rounds; people would catch on and dash in and try to throw me at the round start. so i would be playing wolf or kage and as soon as the "GO!" sounded i'd enter in a giant swing or TFT, and catch them just as they're dashing in. it was as if they willingly ran up to my completely stationary character to get thrown. the look on their faces..i usually was laughing too hard to see them, actually.

don't have much chance to do it these days, though, as most fucking just back dash or twitch back...

--

11. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

here's a total nutjob thing to do but looks nice when it
    happens: anticpating a throw from your opponent at the
    beginning of the round? Hop. beats the throw and then
    you get to play with them. A lot.

I love that.

GE