1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My comment about playing VF in Korea

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hyun, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Please note that I have never played VF4 in Korea and haven't been in that country for a while. But in response to Gaijin Punch's post. . .

From my past experience playing VF series in Korea I can say this: the arcade set up and competition quantity/quality of VF playing in Korea are very diverse. Think that this is just like the US: You have very different machine configurations and varying levels of competition depending on where you go. You just can't walk into one arcade at random and make judgment. I briefly have been to Japanese and Taiwanese arcades too, but I don't recall any Korean arcade having buttons particularly wide spread than other country's.

Someone like alliner would be happy to give you directions and/or competition if you ask. If you have chance to visit Korea I encourage you to do so.

2. Binauralman

Binauralman Member

Not that i ever plan to go to Korea I'd rather go to Japan...Do you mean they have more Key's and buttons on the Korean boards in the arcades?

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

The one machine I played on (and I think I did mention that I only tried out one place, and that should lead people to believe that it's not a generalization) had the buttons REALLY far apart. Extremely difficult to play.

4. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

how far apart were they?? we have machines where the buttons are over a half an inch apart in a horizontal line.....sound familiar??

5. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Gaijin Punch, your original post was:

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If any of you are taking a trip to Seoul anytime soon, don't bother playing... it'll screw your game up. . . .Of course, this might not be all machines, but all on the ones I found.

<hr></blockquote>

Here you are telling everyone to not even bother thinking about VF4 in Seoul, and implying that you checked out multiple places. I wouldn't put too much blame on you since I should understand your frustration. However you did generalize and I was simply offering my counter opinion as someone who have been in that city longer.

However, I would also warn that if you visit Pusan (second largest city in Korea) I hear many arcades have completely screwed up PKG button lay out. I wouldn't bother playing in those arcades. People from Seoul don't bother playing VF in Pusan either because of that.

6. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Bin, I am sorry to say this but I don't think I am alone in this board in thinking that you seem to suffer from some kind of mental disorder, ADD or some variant that is.

Just to add some points: If I must offer a few reasons to visit Korea, VFing in Korea is extremely cheap. (Less than 20 cents US per game. In some places you can even play for less than a dime.) Lodging can be found much cheaper than Japan too. You may have a chance to see just how good Shinz is too. Actually many of these apply to Taiwan as well from my experience, and the country has its own share of excellent players as well.

7. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

Well I never played VF in Seoul but I was stationed near Seoul in Uijongbu back in 1999 (I'm only 24 so I'm not old). I did play Soul Calibur alot over there in a couple places around Seoul and Tongduchon. All I wanted to add was in relation to lodging. Lodging is very cheap in alot parts of Korea, I found that out because while I was stationed there alot of clubbing and partying goes on around the area and staying over night in a different area than where I was at was pretty affordable. On the topic of button spacing. I never saw any problem with their buttons at any place I went to might just be the VF4 machines they have there now only qualm I had was I'm not a big of fan of japanese ball joysticks and that's prevelant over there but other than that I didn't see any problems, I can play on them but I'd prefer American "popsicle" style sticks. On the button issue times over there in some places have changed and they just put any old thing in their machines.

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Heh - the joys of the won/dollar conversion :p

9. GaijinPunch

Good point, Hyun -- I did forget about the cheap stuff, but it doesn't stop with VF4 -- it's no secret. Korea is way cheaper than Japan will ever be, even a huge city like Seoul. The buttons just killed me. I also heard they had VF.net, but the place I went didn't, and it was a respectably large/filled arcade. Hmm.. I guess I was just homesick. :)

10. KNK

KNK Member

If you ever happen to come to Korea, you want to visit those arcades...

TaeYoung Game World
    (HongDae Station, Subway line nr. 2, Exit 6)
    They have like 6 - 7 VF4 machines, all in good condition. Many famous teams have team battles in this arcade. Very high competition level.

Viva Gameland
    (BangBae Station, line nr.2, Exit 4)
    5 machines. I heard that Shinz, Moonsuk and other famous players like to hang out here. The place to go if you want to experience top level Korean VFing.

G-Zone
    (Korea Univ. Station line nr.6, Exit 6)
    Another popular place. 4 ver.B machines and 1 ver.C machine.

It is a good idea to visit the arcades after 18 as most famous players show up late. If you have any plans to visit Seoul, you are welcome to contact me, I could probably arrange something...

11. GaijinPunch

Well, I went for work. I'm sure I"ll be back there sometime by mid-summer. Are any of those places near the Westin Chosun? That's where I stayed -- didn't even ride the subway. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif