1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

my first fighting game

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by vituual, Oct 29, 2005.

1. vituual

vituual Member

hello this is my first fighting game i have ever played and i cant seem to pull off any of the big combos can someone or people give me some advice pleasew thnkas

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

don't worry about combos. you should try to win all your matches by pokes

(arguably the worst advice i've ever given, but i like it)

3. vituual

vituual Member

what is a poke?

4. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    1. Which Virtua fighter game are you playing ? VF4 vf4 evo ?
    2. What character are you using ?
    3. What method are you using to play(stick/pad) ?
    4. Have you been through the tutorial in training ?

5. vituual

vituual Member

evo
    sarah and yes i have been through the training coyrswe

6. vituual

vituual Member

7. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Vituual,

playing with a Joystick will help, but Sarah's inputs aren't too hard, so I think practice is the key to your problem.

Could you do the combos taught in the "Tactics & Advice" section of the Training Mode?

I think an easy Sarah combo that works on everyone would be:

[3],[3]+[K] -> [3]+[P],[K] -> [8]+[K].

If you can get this combo regularly, the other combos are just a matter of learning things like Stance, Hit Type, Weight etc.

good luck

Bryan

8. vituual

vituual Member

for some reason i cant do [3_][9_][7_][1_] these i dont know wjhy i use one finger i think it will help if i use 2

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vituual said:

for some reason i cant do [3_][9_][7_][1_] these i dont know wjhy i use one finger i think it will help if i use 2

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you can't do diagonals on a pad, learn to do them. I can't imagine one can play any game without using diagonal directions. Are you sure you're not pulling something here? /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. stealth_fox

stealth_fox Active Member

I'm guessing you're talking about moves like [2_][4][6][P]? That [2_] just means from a crouching position. I had that problem back when I started, until I looked in the tactics advice in the game. Maybe you should do the same.. (along with the many fine documents they have on this site as well /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

11. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

if this is your first fighting game i'm not surprise if you are having problems with diagonal directions, i'm sure that most of you guys recollect what great achievement it was when you're performing a dragon punch consistently in SF2. ahh....we all had diagonal problems back then. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Horsepool

Horsepool Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yuu_Kun said:

if this is your first fighting game i'm not surprise if you are having problems with diagonal directions, i'm sure that most of you guys recollect what great achievement it was when you're performing a dragon punch consistently in SF2. ahh....we all had diagonal problems back then. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never had a problem with the DP on a controller. now on a stick, I cant do it. At all. Infact, I cant do 2d fighters on a stick.

As for poking, its attacking once/short strings, backing off, and repeating. Nickle and diming health off em. Thats how I use my Goh, Poking with Throws. Works rather nice since Goh isnt a huge combo guy IMHO, atleast he doenst have any easy strings.

13. MoonSoo

MoonSoo Member

You know, since you're using Sarah, it may be best to try with the best beginner character, Jacky, since they both, "somewhat," play alike. Although Sarah is better at a poking game than Jacky I think, Jacky is like a stepping stone for Sarah in a way.

14. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    If you're still using the standard Playstation control pads, I strongly recommend stepping up to a better controller.

If you've got your heart set on pad play, then the Sega Saturn remake for PS2 could be right for you. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-15-saturn%2Bpad-70-imb.html They come in several colours. I have a set of these and they're simply great.

If you wanna be hardcore and switch to a stick, both SH and I can personally recommend Sega's Virtua Stick. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-15-virtua%2Bstick-70-imc.html It is extremely easy to modify with Sanwa buttons, which are known for their precision accuracy. It really is as simple as popping the old buttons out and popping the new ones back in. The wires have snap-on clips, which granted are hard as hell to remove from the stock buttons, but slip right onto the Sanwas. Add some electrical tape to ensure they stay put and you're good to go. This stick also features loads of buttons so that it is good for many other games as well.

Alternately, there is the VF4:Evo stick, but it is currently out of stock, at least on play-asia.com. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-77-1-15-virtua%2Bstick-70-25t.html I don't know what the list price is for it, but I expect it to be comparable to the Virtua Stick, and it only has 5 buttons. Maddy uses one of these though, and seems to prefer it even over the Virtua Sticks. But again, it's out of stock. /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Switching to a stick does take some getting used to, but I highly recommend it. I used to be a pad player myself, and I'll never play VF on anything than a stick ever again.

15. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Is it possible to contact PlayAsia and ask them if they could place a special order to get an Evo stick or do I have to try and contact Hori?

16. majinai

majinai Member

It seems to me it's sold out everywhere now. I suggest getting it from Yahoo Auction Japan though you'll need to use a deputy service if you're bidding outside of Japan. In fact there's one brand new right up for bid now at only $10 - http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h31500176

As for improving your plays, I suggest taking lots of time doing the challenge thing in the tutorial mode. Probably the best training features ever in fighting games.

17. Jacky415

Jacky415 New Member

My first fighting game was Virtua Fighter 2 for PC (PC, because I have PC, no console).
    I bought this game in 2001 and I play this game every day.
    I want to see a new Virtua Fighting game on PC. 19 years old man with console doesn't look like good /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like to play every character to see diference in styles and interesting fighting techniques.