1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My first real human competition!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Jun 17, 2000.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Rulakir, a VFer in Singapore, commented to me that DOA players congregated in an arcade in Bugis Junction. So, I decided to check it out and get some experience in competitive play.

It must have been an off day though, as there weren't that many people playing DOA2 there...maybe 4 or 5. In any case, I was pretty lucky as the first arcade I sat down with (they were Versus City style cabinets) had excellent sticks. I pulled out my Hayabusa and immediately jumped to 6 wins! Woo hoo! Afterwards, I used Gen Fu and got 3 wins. It's too bad after those wins nobody challenged me again. /images/icons/tongue.gif

Anyway, today I sort of realized that Gen Fu may not as invincible as I once thought he was. I now realize that the CPU is quite easy in letting me get into range and sucking it into the old man's strike/throw guessing game. My Gen Fu actually had a bit of trouble with a Jann Lee who kept his distance. Durn old man is so short! To get close to Jann Lee, I actually had to anticipate and reverse a poke and apply okizeme. Quite tough, and nerve racking. /images/icons/blush.gif

One thing about the arcade...boy is hitting S+P+K hard to get used to! The CPU's throws are so easy to escape I usually doze off in multilink throws, and I always neglect to use S+P+K instead of S+P. *sigh* Actually, two things: playing in the arcade where there is a lot of noise from nearby machines actually sort of sucks for Hayabusa. I've always dependend on the sound of his reversal to alert me to start the Izuna Drop motion--in the arcades where it's difficult to hear such details, I have to watch really, really carefully. Sucks--I missed about half my Izuna Drop reversal opportunities. /images/icons/frown.gif

In any case, I do have a question. On that arcade machine, I noticed that my Gen Fu combos seemed noticably weaker, whereas my Hayabusa combos seemed stronger. Is it just me, or did older arcade versions have different damage settings for characters.

Ah well, tomorrow, I should have some REAL competition in the form of Acel, whom some of you may recognize from doaonline. He's coming over tomorrow and we're going to have a DOA2 bash, heh heh heh...

ice-9

2. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

Where is Bugis Junction? Where do you live Ice?

I f anyone wants to know I live in Alabama. I hope to one day make a DOA tournament. /images/icons/smile.gif

TripleRaid
    Give me an e-mail at, crich200@gulftel.com

3. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

Also, I have never been to any kind of Tournament. /images/icons/frown.gif

[​IMG] TripleRaid

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Triple Raid, I am in Singapore right now for work.

Well, I just came out of a 6 hour DOA2/SC bash with Acel.

Acel is a regular over at doaonline and has posted many interesting combos and tactics. He is a great player and is competent with all the characters. His Hayabasu is especially strong, and his Gen Fu, Kasumi, Jann Lee and Ayane are great. He also plays Tina, Leon, and Bass quite well, but since I don't play them myself, I have no idea how good he is with them. /images/icons/wink.gif Acel demonstrated to me that certain multi-link throws can be quite difficult--Tina 3-hit, 105 pts damage throw comes to mind. Acel's Jann Lee has convinced me to rethink his potential--Jann Lee is a combo monster, especially on Tag! Acel's Jann Lee doesn't even utilize the f S P that much, and I already find him quite difficult. Clearly, Jann Lee is a lot stronger than I originally anticipated.

We first played 1-on-1 matches for a few hours; Acel hadn't played the game for nearly a month, so he was a little rusty. When we moved to Tag Battle, however, it became clear where Acel's expertise lay! Some of the combos he did were amazingly damaging, and he had a few "infinite until the wall" combos...very impressive. The Tag Battles were incredibly intense, and set to five rounds, very tiring as well. /images/icons/shocked.gif Even though that was my second time trying Tag Battle out and my first time against a human opponent, I have to say that Tag Battle is definitely more exciting than 1-on-1 play and represents a considerably different dynamic. For example, the emphasis in Tag is not on combos that finish but on combos that refloat the opponent for the partner to continue...and refloat. Clearly, there is a lot of depth here for me to explore.

We also played a little bit of SC, which is actually Acel's first priority game (he was the champion of a recent Singapore SC tournament). I stuck to mostly Astaroth and occasionally used my cheap 4-move Mitsurugi. Yeah, Shota knows what I'm talking about! /images/icons/wink.gif /images/icons/wink.gif LOL, anyway, I feel like my Astaroth has really improved from the hour or two we spent on SC. Acel taught me a few tricks and his gameplay forced me to react quickly and take risks, two things I'm not used to doing against the CPU. /images/icons/blush.gif Acel I think plays all the characters, but his Ivy was especially spicy and I thought his Mitsurugi was fantastic! His Mitsurugi is much more elegant than mine and he used a lot of stances, fakes, etc. Very stylish and still quite effective. Acel's Voldo and Rock were also great, and he did a lot of stuff I didn't know was in the game. Some of you SC players should meet up with him! He complains that the SC scene in Singapore isn't too great. /images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, I had a great time, and I definitely hope I could do this again next week. Acel has a few other friends that also play DOA2 that could hopefully join us. This human competition is definitely making me a much better DOA2 and SC player!

ice-9

5. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

Well we a very far away!

But any way, yes the first fighting game I bought and owned was SC. I must say that I was never a expert at the game, but I did put about 100 hours on it. /images/icons/smile.gif But I just lost interest in it when I picked up DOA2. I have put right at 77 hours on DOA2 at the moment, but I am going to start training my but off to get very good at the game. I have one problem though. I have played the computers so much that when I play a human player I get my but kick sometimes. I guess I need to play aginst more human players.

But where I live that stuff is not really the TOP thing. I beat that where I live there has never been a fighting tournament! /images/icons/frown.gif

But I might change that when I get older. Would'nt be great if I maintained of Fighting site and also owned my own Arcade!!! /images/icons/smile.gif

But I have also been playing VF3tb more than I normally do, because I just want to learn the game!

If I do start a tournament where I live then maby I'll see you one day. /images/icons/smile.gif

[​IMG] TripleRaid

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: Tag Combos

The Tag Battles were incredibly intense, and set to five rounds, very tiring as well.

Five rounds? Bloody hell! No wonder people are actually playing! Over here it's still at the default, one round for Tag Mode.

I have to say that Tag Battle is definitely more exciting than 1-on-1 play and represents a considerably different dynamic. For example, the emphasis in Tag is not on combos that finish but on combos that refloat the opponent for the partner to continue...and refloat.

Right on the money. It didn't take me too long to switch over to the Tag system, and after that it was hard to go back to one-on-one. As you found out, it's an entirely different combo dynamic, and you must know the difference between your character's link combos and finishing combos before you can tango.

Oh yeah, trust the Singaporeans to be using the infinites ('till the wall) ;) which I believe were fixed in the millenium version. I only know of one infinite with Zack/Lei-Fang that works in my arcade, but doesn't work on my DC.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

7. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Jeff, at the rate you're progressing, I despair at the thought of ever being able to play this game on a competitive level. /images/icons/smile.gif I'm starting to think I'm better off playing games like Counter-Strike or Unreal Tournament at home. /images/icons/laugh.gif

Maybe its time I should actually get myself a DC...... *ponder* Not to mention actually trying to figure out what half the things on the movelist actually do. /images/icons/crazy.gif

-Rulakir

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, trust the Singaporeans to be using the infinites ('till the wall) ;) which I believe were fixed in the millenium version. I only know of one infinite with Zack/Lei-Fang that works in my arcade, but doesn't work on my DC.

It's actually not that bad...there are usually only 4 or 5 tags in the infinte combo from one end to the other end, and before a switch, it's usually only one or two moves. It only takes about half life maybe, which you can get without going for an infinite combo. I don't know how Acel does it, but I know one of them is with Kasumi and Hayabusa (involving Hayabusa's headstand kick).

ice-9

9. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

I heard that there was still some infinitys in the DC DOA2. I guess I will have to explore this even more. /images/icons/smile.gif

[​IMG] TripleRaid

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Regarding the usage of the infinite tag combos -- fair enough if it's only doing about 50%. With the initial versions of DoA2, some infinites were capable of outright killing off the opponent provided they were started on the far end of the arena (so as not to hit a wall).

Hayabusa's headstand kick (FC,b+K) is a monster of an attack when it comes to floating. The initial float height of that move after a HCF+P+S throw is huge, and coupled with a partner with really high hitting attacks (e.g. Zack's df+P+K, Ayane/Kasumi's Kickflip, Kasumi's df,df+P) yields some pretty damn interesting tag combos. The headstand kick used within a tag combo has great re-floatability as well.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's one of the interesting things about Hayabusa's HS kick...it has awesome refloating ability if it strikes the opponent in the air. Very, very useful in tag combos...

ice-9