1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My minor (but kinda legitamate) beef w/ VF

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Byne_Rhode, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Byne_Rhode

Byne_Rhode Active Member

It just kind of bugs me that the oriental characters speak their native dialect, but Lion doesn't speak French, Brad doesn't speak Italian, and Jeffry got no accent, he from dahn undah, ya know. I mean......c'mon /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

who's with me.......bueler?......bueler?

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    [ QUOTE ]
    It just kind of bugs me that the oriental characters speak their native dialect,

[/ QUOTE ]

Lau, Lei-Fei, Pai and Shun are Chinese and yet they speak Japanese. /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

well most french and italien people do know a bit of broken english cuz english is kinda predominantly taught in europe. guess that explains why brad mostly knows chat up lines cuz i can see him being one of those seedy men who try to pick up easy foreign girls all the time.

4. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

Do we really need to hear them speaking in their native language? As least it's been sync with the animation and not dub like in films; i.e. English like Bruce Lee films. Although it would be nice to have subtitles. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    and Jeffry got no accent

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...I rather hear him speak perfect English than have an accent with poor English, know what I mean.

5. REAL_JEFF_FREE

REAL_JEFF_FREE Well-Known Member

While it is not important enough to ever keep me from buying or playing the game; the lack of attention to detail within a series with such depth does puzzle me sometimes.

6. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

I personally would be annoyed if Lion spoke French and Brad spoke Italian. It's bad enough I can't understand the characters who speak Japanese, but I expect it since the game's Japanese.

7. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Watch what you say Yuu kun. Are you implying that Australians tend to have poor english?

8. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Watch what you say Yuu kun. Are you implying that Australians tend to have poor english?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, or maybe I didn't make it clear. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In my post I've reference Bruce Lee's films being badly dubbed in English and I'm implying the same with Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, meaning I rather have a good translation of perfect English than bad dialogue, like badly dubbed anime or 70s martial art films. Nothing against others who can't speak English properly, like myself. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peace.

9. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Namco does something in Tekken 5 that's cool yet bizarre when you think about it: All characters have their native tongue/accent which is nice attention to detail yet... they all understand each other? Hey not saying it's not possible but unlikely, ya know? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. PossumJenkins

PossumJenkins Member

Well, with Tekken 5, the Japanese folk speak Japanese and the Chinese folk speak Chinese (Besides Lee and Ling, who speak Japanese, and Law and Lei, who speak English, for some bizarre reason), but the non-asian folk all speak American english, regardless of nationality. So Craig speaks American english, despite being being Aussie, as do Eddie and Christie, whom are both Brazilian, and Nina and Anna, whom are Irish. Heh, they gave Steve a HORRID faux-English accent, but at least they tried.
    It's funny as shit to hear Panda/Kuma, Roger Jr., and Mokujin "speak," though.

Uhh, back to VF4. Yeah, it's weird that they don't pay attention to detail as far as voices are concerned, but I suppose hiring Japanese voice actors in Japan, and American actors in the US is easier than collectively gathering a bunch of actors from many different countries. But, AM2 has always been strange like that. They tried so hard to simulate real life with the Shenmue games, then you go to Hong Kong, and have everybody speaking Japanese? Okay. :|

11. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hey, I think you missed the point of my post. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. Robio_kun

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    and Jeffry got no accent

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...I rather hear him speak perfect English than have an accent with poor English, know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... you quite clearly implied that if Jeff had an Australian accent he would have poor english. I don't really want to pick a fight over this but I get annoyed when people assume that Australians don't speak well etc. There are many eloquent and articulate Australians in the world; just look at Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. (please ignore Russell Crowe /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif) anyway, I have said my piece.

13. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

have you considered that jeffry is an aboriginee that just wants to kill you

14. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    No... you quite clearly implied that if Jeff had an Australian accent he would have poor english.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the way you still replying to my old post, did you even read my last post? I don't know how to make this any clearer to what I was implying to my first post,

I guess my second post didn't make sense to you?

I find it rather insulting to nail me a racist sign on my forehead while I'm Chinese and know exactly how it feels when (some) films make stereotyping the way Chinese talk with an accent!! I think saying other ethnic groups in films and games speaking in perfect English is not offensive and also breaking out the barrier of stereotyping. Right?

15. Robio_kun

My point is that english is the first language of the majority of Australians, so if we do not speak english well what does that make us? just plain stupid! The difference between that and a chinese person who may not speak perfect english is that the chinese person probably speaks perfect Cantonese/Mandarinn. Therefore they are one step above the average English speaker in that they are bilingual.

Just because a person has a certain accent or inflection does not make usage of a language any more or less perfect.

Alright let's drop it... it's not that big a deal.

Peace

Robin

16. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Your native tongue is your native tongue. "Proper" usage is often just an artifice superimposed upon a language which can't help but be dynamic and changing. There are so many of us after all...

Language is beautiful and shines brightest when its entire palette is at our disposal.

Bad english?

Bullshit!

Any english in the first place is just a bastardized germanic tongue mixed with hackneyed french, which is really just shitty latin, which ain't a damn thing but some whack spagetti-indo-european.

But yeah...Lion should use french. That would be fuckin hot. Somebody give us Lion's quotes in french please!