1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My PS2 Won't read the Blue CD's

Discussion in 'Console' started by Dark_Bandana, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Dark_Bandana

Dark_Bandana Well-Known Member

I yesterday was sparring in VF:EVO and and felt like viewing the replays of the original to see if I could do a VF glich in EVO(Dural kept floating between when it was knocked out of the ring) when sudenly a Dearty or scrached CD message appears, I checked the CD and it doesn't have a single scrach on it, I tried another Blue CD and it isnt working either, is there anyway to fix my PS2?

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    About a year ago, I had the same problem (plus it would freeze when trying to play DVDs past chapter 13). I was able to send my PS2 directly to Sony and it was repaired at no charge.

Good luck.

3. Mysterious_Red

Mysterious_Red Well-Known Member

this is called the disc read error...good luck

hey plague - <font color="red"> question </font> -
    you sent your ps2 to sony and they fixed at no charge???how old was your ps2 (was the warranty still good???)

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I don't have the SCPH # with me. I got it about 3 months after it came out in the US. The warranty had expired, but it seemed enough PS2s were having this problem that they fixed it for free anyway.

I can't say the repair was perfect though. It worked much BETTER when I got it back - but DVD movie reading was still an issue (so we got a DVD player for that). It plays all games on DVD and blue CD, etc - but it takes longer than usual to see the disc.

I may try to send it in again before US Gran Turismo 4 shows up.

Edit: Here's the contact info...

In order to obtain repair service on your PlayStation 2, PS one, or PlayStation in the U.S. & Canada, please contact SCEA Consumer Service at 1-800-345-SONY (7669) Monday Saturday 6:00 AM 8:00 PM PST and Sunday 7:00 AM 6:30 PM PST in order to thoroughly troubleshoot your problem and for us to assist you.

This thread has inspired me to get my PS2 back up to snuff. I think I'll call them myself tonight.

5. Dark_Bandana

Sony got a lawsuit for selling defective PS2's and are repairing them if the DDE's are the Machines fault, they will completely pay for it, just call them and tell them its the DDE's and they'll give you an email to tell yopu to sent it, the offer id no good if your PS2 is modded or you attempted to fix it yourself tough

6. Dark_Bandana

Funny cause I think I just fixed mine, I just slamed it to the floor and everything is working perfecty /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Now I can play VF4 like any normal game, but it turns out to today I bought Tekken Tag and is scrached so now im not sure if its TT or my PS2, VF4 works perfectly tough.

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Sent mine away today. Let's see what happens.

8. PIZman

PIZman Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

Sent mine away today. Let's see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Plague, totally do keep us updated. I'm interested to know about this. I might just send my PS2 in to get a tune-up if it's a freebie.

9. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Update:

Tracking # says they received it yesterday.

As far as cost goes, it's a no-charge repair (that was determined in the initial phone call). It would appear that any DRE problems are free of charge (except your shipping when sending it to them), provided you haven't voided the warranty. Don't have opened it yourself or have used any game enhancing software.

10. PIZman

PIZman Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

Update:

Tracking # says they received it yesterday.

As far as cost goes, it's a no-charge repair (that was determined in the initial phone call). It would appear that any DRE problems are free of charge (except your shipping when sending it to them), provided you haven't voided the warranty. Don't have opened it yourself or have used any game enhancing software.

[/ QUOTE ]

So chances are slim that I can get a free repair on this PS2 that I bought off some dude for $25 - the casing on the back near the AV in is melted, the tray face is broken off, the warranty sticker was voided, and when I opened the PS2 up, there was a metric ton of dust inside. Oh, and it didn't come with any cables, so I'm using PS1 cables. And I don't think the player 2 memory card port works.

SCOREEEEE.

11. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Maybe you should drive a carving knife through it for good measure.

On a different note, my PS2 came back today. It looks brand new (although it's the same one), and works like it's brand new. I hope it lasts. Much faster service than they promised. Very cool, indeed.

12. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

adjust the white cog inside the CD/DVD drive and it will be fixed. i had the same problem once and open my ps2 to FINAL TUNED my drive for a last ditch to read DVDs, and now it's working perfect. however you will be risking your precious ps2 if you do so. /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. Dark_Bandana

That was pretty quick, Ill guess Ill be sending mine then while there aren't any good games cooming, I bought mine a year ago in a Gamestop, maybe I can trick the store and save me some time.