1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

!@#$% My PS2's Fried

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Jun 9, 2002.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Sigh. I had used a Playstation/Saturn step down converter to play my American PS2, and the thing blew up after only a few days. I bought a new adaptor, one that is PS2-specific, but my PS2 won't even turn on and I'm forced to conclude that the whole thing is fried.

I don't think Sony has a PS2 service center here, so I'm going to try to get it fixed at one of the local electronic shops. I have a feeling I'm going to get ripped off. Does anyone know how much fixing a PS2 in my situation would cost in the States? What I should expect to pay?

Any insights would be great...

Oh yeah, the worse thing is that my VF4 is stuck in the PS2!!

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

For me, without the warranty, it would probably cost as much as a new PS2. So I guess it's obvious then that I should buy a new one. But I think a local repair shop would be much cheaper than sony's customer service but I'm not really sure how much they'll charge.

3. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

it is cheaper than sony, one of my friend ps2 was broken, but its just a minor problem, i think the lens was unaligned, so he had it checked by sony, its works great now but if i remember he paid $110 just to re-align the lens, so the local fix it shops are cheaper.

4. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

Hey Death Raven if that happens to my ps2 will the repair shops fix it right?

5. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

most repair shops had quite a few experience in fixing a PS2 console, i suggest checking out if they give out quality service, i think there a 10% chance they'll screw up, not much of a risk if you ask me, but if you really want the experts, sony would be it. so think about it first, i mean there's lot of good local repair shops and i'm sure they would have some sort of guarantee deal if they screwed up.