!@#$% My PS2's Fried

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Jun 9, 2002.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Sigh. I had used a Playstation/Saturn step down converter to play my American PS2, and the thing blew up after only a few days. I bought a new adaptor, one that is PS2-specific, but my PS2 won't even turn on and I'm forced to conclude that the whole thing is fried.

I don't think Sony has a PS2 service center here, so I'm going to try to get it fixed at one of the local electronic shops. I have a feeling I'm going to get ripped off. Does anyone know how much fixing a PS2 in my situation would cost in the States? What I should expect to pay?

Any insights would be great...

Oh yeah, the worse thing is that my VF4 is stuck in the PS2!!

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

For me, without the warranty, it would probably cost as much as a new PS2. So I guess it's obvious then that I should buy a new one. But I think a local repair shop would be much cheaper than sony's customer service but I'm not really sure how much they'll charge.

3. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

it is cheaper than sony, one of my friend ps2 was broken, but its just a minor problem, i think the lens was unaligned, so he had it checked by sony, its works great now but if i remember he paid $110 just to re-align the lens, so the local fix it shops are cheaper.

4. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

Hey Death Raven if that happens to my ps2 will the repair shops fix it right?

5. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

most repair shops had quite a few experience in fixing a PS2 console, i suggest checking out if they give out quality service, i think there a 10% chance they'll screw up, not much of a risk if you ask me, but if you really want the experts, sony would be it. so think about it first, i mean there's lot of good local repair shops and i'm sure they would have some sort of guarantee deal if they screwed up.