1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My tutorial series. Virtua Fighter 101.

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by DigitlSamurai, Mar 28, 2013.

?

Should I make the tutorial videos public?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2013.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I know there are already quite a few tutorials, but this one is intended to be focused on a few things at a time so as to give the player a chance to practice what they've learned before building on what they already know. I plan on answering questions submitted by viewers too.

My question is whether it's good enough to make public; right now I have it set to unlisted.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FShJvTg8iWY&feature=youtu.be

SUGATA, Rodnutz, akai and 4 others like this.
  2. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

Yeah go ahead and make them public but I would put them under the new starter section here.

3. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I like the fact you remind the public to further episodes creating some kind of aspectative for them.
    Making more tutorials is better than not making them at all. The most important thing is keep doing them because i saw so many people starting tutorials and then stopping after few episodes, which is a shame because this kind of videos are the best thing to invite new players to get the basics of the game.

Jay David and Craigbot like this.
  4. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    But, maaan, let me be honest - if you really want these videos to be taken seriously, do something with the voice! Ask somebosy else to record it, or just... I don't know, try not to eat and close your nose while recording [​IMG] I seriously thought the whole vid was a joke the first time I saw it.

Chibiaya likes this.
  5. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    I couldnt watch this video with out wanting to break my speakers. You have to do something about that voice and about the noise int he background because that shit is hella annoying. I couldnt even finish the video....I got to about 2 minutes and my ears wanted to bleed =(

6. nou

nou Well-Known Member

For reals. If that's your real voice for reasons you can't help apologies, but you should use text with some music.

For music: If it's from VF, any OST is good except the 4 series. Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix (which has the arranged VF2 stages), and anything Yuzo Koshiro (preferably SoR1 and Revenge of Shinobi).

7. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I won't change the music and can't change my voice.

8. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    wait...Thats your actual voice? Oh boy...my bad I thought it was sound feed back though the mic...

Tricky likes this.
  9. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    The noise was probably from my ventilator (no joke). I did my best to remove it, but it's apparently still audible. As for my voice, I don't think there's anything I can do about it.

It shouldn't matter; the point is whether it was intelligible and the information was accurate and detailed enough.

10. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    what im saying is, because of that noise, I couldnt FINISH watching the video.

Tricky likes this.
  11. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    There were a couple parts where I was able to completely remove it, but in those parts I sound like I'm talking through a tin can.

What would you recommend to fix it? I use Audacity to record if that matters.

12. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Samurai, your voice is fine. Keep the tutorials coming.
    Do you have any schedule for the tutorials? i mean do you already know what to talk about in them? From this one seems you had a plan written and that's the best thing to keep the tutorial efficent.

13. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I'm hoping to post new episodes on Wednesdays, or Thursdays. There is no exact plan for what to talk about in each episode, but it will always be based on building on the previous episode, giving them the most logical progression possible. But it may also be somewhat influenced by questions sent in by the viewers.

14. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    It might also help if you have guest commentators help you out like have the other person in a room or player match where this other person can talk with you about the more advanced stuff like evade dash cancelling or proper stepping to stay in constant motion. This other person should be able to help you show us how to start doing this stuff and how to counter it effectively if you think your opponents are doing it on you in actual games. Having short clips of matches where your lessons are being done in real matches will further help to prove how effective your lessons are in real time as well not just in a controlled environment. Having a guest commentator is just an idea though for the harder topics especially when they get so hard that you might have a difficult time showing how useful the lessons are yourself but that is up to you to incorporate that yourself. Good stuff so far

DigitlSamurai and Tricky like this.
  15. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

I read the Uploader Comments before watching the video so I adjusted to his voice pretty quickly, after that it was fine to me. content was fine too. keep it up.

16. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Not to stomp on this, but isn't there already 2 awesome training tutorials by SEGA and EXMrDandy

Chibiaya likes this.
  17. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    This is something I had in mind for the character specific stuff. But I'm not sure how to record the voice chat in such a way that it won't sound muffled.

18. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    I like the video, it did a good job of explaining the very basics of the game thus far. Keep 'em coming man.

Please continue with this as a lot of people start tutorials and never finish them or add new content.

Anything to get more people into the game....good stuff man.

19. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Hi DigitlSamurai,

I've just watched the video and thought it was quite nice. I feel that it's great that you're trying to break these videos up into manageable short clips.

I have a few suggestions for you which I hope you can consider.

1. Do you record your voice as you're recording the game? If not, maybe you can edit the clip to show less idle characters?

2. I think it displaying text when you reference websites or names/annotations, would be helpful as sometimes, a word might be difficult to spell (I used to call VF VirtuaL Fighter haha).

3. Maybe diagrams can help you explain certain concepts such as the part about numbers representing the nine directions of a directional pad - a picture is worth a thousand words =) - did you mention that it's assuming you're playing on the left hand side? (sorry couldn't remember).

Oh I haven't voted yet. I thought that this should really be your decision. There are lot's of idiots on Youtube who will say harsh words and mock you (when they won't even dare to say it to your face - cowards). So you have to think about whether you're strong enough to ignore these taunts. On the other hand newbies may benefit from having another set of tutorials to watch and may even find VF.com because of you. So it's up to you to think about.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Chi

Keoma, DigitlSamurai and Mister like this.
  20. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    Thank you.

1. I record the video and audio simultaneously and edit them later to match the narration with the video.

2. Will do.

3. I'll have to research how to do that, but I'll see what I can do. I forgot to mention that the directions assume you're facing right. I'll try to do all of this in the next episode.

Also I decided to make them public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.