1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Namco patents stuff that is already in VF? (This is ridiculous.)

Discussion in 'General' started by beanboy, Nov 7, 2021.

1. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Alright, now this is ridiculous.

Now while the features planned to be used for tekken 8's so called training mode are interesting, and helps noobs and tekken players, after reading this article and doing research, and being a VF3tb and VF4 player, I have to say what they are apparently planning to patent, or already have, is a bit ridiculous, since a bunch of the features mentioned, already exists and are in VF4 and VF4 Evo.

Like for one example, check the first pic in the article, where the stickman on the left does a kick, and the info box on the right, has the direction to sidestep it. I have my VF4 Evo game manual open right now and on page 14 in the booklet, that feature is shown on that page. Harada might be careful about what is being patented for tekken, since he respects VF alot, but the bosses at namco are unfortunately another story.

Some of the features mentioned onward in the article, already exists in VF4 and VF3tb on the dreamcast, so how the heck could you patent something, that has already existed in VF for many years, and was already started by VF?o_O

Check the article below.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2021/sep/26/bandai-namco-fighter-patent/

Someone better contact sega, and warn them about this just in case. I would have done it, but for some strange reason, my new beanboy twitter account does not work. I might have to make a beanboy 2 twitter account to warn them.

@masterpo
    @MadeManG74
    @Myke
    @Mister
    @SDS_Overfiend1
    @Jason Elbow
    @Ellis
    @akai
    @faster 10 lightning
    @Ali

And everyone else too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    masterpo likes this.
  2. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

When you don't release a game in over 10 years, you don't update your fans and when you attempt to remaster you do the crappiest netcode, then you deserve this. This is harsh I know, but I only wrote that because I care.

This isn't surprising. Tekken kept tracking VF for years despite having better sales....

Aside from that, FGC are sorta vocal about these things..... I am actually interested to get everyone's input as well.

beanboy likes this.
  3. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

Yea there are a lot of similarities. BUT:cautious:

• Did Sega originally patent these aspects of VF4 and VFt3b? If they never patented it, then its open for Namco to Patent it.
    • If Sega did patent it but, did not renew the patent (Yes patents have time limits). Then its open for Namco to patent it.
    If Sega did patent it, and the patents are still in effect, they will be able to sue Namco in court.:cool:

beanboy likes this.
  4. beanboy

True talk Po and Ali. It leaves alot to think about.

The bad thing is, if they make VF6, they will not be able to put the 2002 VF4 training options things in VF6, because namco patented their (sega's) training mode stuff.

But just in case, we have to contact sega, or Harada on twitter, and deal with this quick.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  5. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

This is when you walk up in Namco studios with the electric bat and it's Like a Dragon for real.

beanboy likes this.
  6. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I don't think Sega necessarily needs help to protect its interest. If they end up losing their ability to do an Evo like training mode because of this then they aren't worthy of your worries.

Also, I don't understand Namco's patent.... I mean really ? Patenting a training mode idea that has been done before 16 + years ago is rather uninspiring.

7. beanboy

Then that would be pathetic on sega's part.

Yeah, that is the same thing I was saying, when I first saw the article. Them patenting old stuff like that, literally doesn't make any sense. And if somehow sega did patent those training mode things (hopefully), maybe the patent expired, and they forgot to patent it, and namco's bosses seeing an opportunity, took the chance to exploit it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021