1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Namco Stick (yellow and gray)

Discussion in 'Console' started by HighKing, May 27, 2002.

1. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Are the buttons Cherry Switches?

2. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Actually the small yellow ones are L1 and L2

<hr></blockquote>

Shit... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif . Of course, you're right. Why did I write R1???:)

3. Darkseed

Darkseed Well-Known Member

It's easy to make a mistake like that. Now, does anyone know if there's an easy way for me to fix that sticky button I mentioned earlier?

4. mutshui

mutshui New Member

I heard it was quite difficult cause one of my friend had a similar situation with his stick. He got his used with some kind of liquid spilled on the button and he took it apart to clean it. To put it back together he had to use triple soder action (one in each hand and another with his mouth, go figure). Luckily I got mine brand new on EBAY /versus/images/icons/smile.gif. As to all of you who are still looking for one, you guys lucked out. When VF4 just got released there were TWO dutch auctions on EBAY for total of 40 BRAND NEW NAMCO STICKS for 49.99 each, or 90 for two sticks. Eventually some of them might resurface on EBAY.

5. Darkseed

Darkseed Well-Known Member

Ok, well I'll just return it and get a new one then. They only cost 300 SEK or about 30 american dollars at the place where I bought mine.

6. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Could anyone who has used BOTH the Namco stick and the Tekken 4 stick, please post impressions on a comparison?

7. HighKing

For that sticky button thing, ask Zero-Chan, I think she had a similar problem.

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I would recommend both the Namco and Tekken 4 sticks.

The main difference I faced between the two sticks was how the stick felt. Throw in a margin of error in respect that the Namco sticks are many years old while the Tekken 4 sticks are new... But the Tekken 4 sticks were really clicky, like the Tekken Tag sticks--but VERY LOOSE in terms of spring resistance. The Namco sticks reminded me of VS City cabinet sticks in that they felt sort of "rubbery" with fair room to move the stick around, extremely loose in terms of spring resistance.

There was a slighly more "natural" feel in the Namco sticks to me, while in the Tekken 4 sticks, I really felt 100% in control--it had a feeling that screamed both "good" and yet "console."

As for the buttons, they were quite similar in that they were both flat (as opposed to convex or even concave buttons), fairly big, and very easy to press. Very comfortable, but I personally sometimes miss the convex buttons.

Panel texture is pretty nice, especially with the Tekken 4 stick being about as slick as the VF4 stick (you gotta love that finish on the panel--though it can cause some peoples' hands to slide).

Namco stick's base was very low, for those that care--but it's great for surface-top play. The Tekken 4 stick's base is probably twice (maybe 2.5 times) as high as the Namco stick. Boils down to preference (if any) and also how compact the sticks can be for travelling.

On a side note, the Namco stick has access to all PS buttons, whereas the Tekken 4 stick forsakes the L2 and R2 buttons.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the sticks. As for me, I was equally efficient on both sticks--and I'm primarily a VF4 stick user. I give both sticks my thumbs way up approval. Very good, very responsive, and both can be handled with weak and strong grips. For those who like to use their wrists more (such as myself), they're perfect.

-Chanchai

9. HighKing

Can you give a comparison of the ASCII Ft2 stick and the Namco stick? Thanks for your help.

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'll just say that they are very different.

At the moment, I don't think I can give a very accurate description of how the FT2's stick feels.

As for the buttons, because of how the spring is, they have a sort of jelly/mushy feel to them when you press them. Most would say it's a good thing.

I've only used the FT2 once or twice at gatherings, and it is a microswitch based device -- as opposed to the CvS1 stick for the Dreamcast (which is optical).

I personally prefer any of the Hori sticks well over the FT2, but there are some of those out there who prefer the FT2.

Pros: Buttons are comfy, if not different. Rare for somebody to accidentally hit Start (like on the Tekken Tag and Tekken 4 sticks). Weight of the base is good. All the buttons you need for any fighting game. Easier to find than many of the Hori sticks out there.

-Chanchai

11. HighKing

What about the stick on the Namco and FT2 how do they differ?

12. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Hey here's a question, what about parts? I need possibly new parts for the springs and possibly a new button cause it broke at the NYC gathering. It's for a Namco Yellow and Gray. if anyone knows a good place to have them fix my sick also let me know. Later.

p.s.- Chanchai loves my Hori =P. My stick Rocks!!

Oh and I'm also looking for possibly some pads or something to stick onto where my palms touch cause the paint is wearing off of my stick. Anyone know any ways of rigging that? later.

13. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

have you guys ever heard of a stick made by naki?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nakiusa.com>http://www.nakiusa.com</a>

if anyone have used them before, can you tell me if its worth using?

14. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Having zero luck trying to locate the Namco Stick *sigh*

15. HighKing

Your in luck their selling two on Ebay right now, they ship internationally too. Bidding started at $30 and there's 18 hours left. Hurry!!!

16. Ozzylau

Ozzylau New Member

Hey Guys just a quickie in regrds to the NAMCO stick
    I just brought one down here in Austraila and in my opinion its perfect (although second hand) my question is are they very sturdy and has anyone had any major problems. Reason I ask is that I can get another one. So realy should I get a back up. It only cost $22AUD thats about $10-11 American
    Also just to clear things up in regards to arcades here all the sticks and setups we use are as per the NAMCO stick. I believe that this is the Asian stile