1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Namco still up for Tekken vs. VF

Discussion in 'General' started by boxydancer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I wonder what rest of the world refers to since it isnt available here, in arcade OR console.

2. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

What about Soul Calibur? Soul Calibur is somewhat more appealing than Tekken for me.

3. SuperPanda

SuperPanda Well-Known Member

@Manji:

On availability:
    That means that your local arcade operator hasn't imported it. AFAIK, there are no restrictions to importing T6BR (Australia has them in English for example). But IIRC, Namco didn't officially release the game in some countries, like the US, but it doesn't mean you can't import it.

On understanding:
    There was a good discussion of the two games over in SRK, about what either game has/doesn't have. I agree that it's tricky to find a common median, but I don't think it's that different from asking a pro player (not necessarily video games... say baseball for example), and asking him what he likes about the game, and what he doesn't like.

In fact, I remember lurking SRK a few weeks back, and there was a good discussion about the differences between VF and Tekken: Why VF's deep throw game can't be applied to Tekken, how different advanced stepping techniques in both games can't be applied to each other, why Tekken's universal moves (such as low parry) can't be applied to VF, etc.

The end of the discussion was basically: don't compare the two, because they are already pretty much on-par with each other quality-wise, and it just boils down to preferences.

@Matt:
    I love SC. It's also lot closer to VF than Tekken is, which is probably why a lot of VFDC members enjoy the game. Only issue with the game is that Hilde is pretty much a broken character (doom combo et al).

The video I linked you to has the SC4 Devastation finals at the beginning. Good watch, but as the winner said: he was happy/lucky no one used Hilde in the tournament.

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced that it’s highly anticipated fighting title, TEKKEN® 6, is scheduled to be released worldwide in Fall 2009 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.</div></div>

I have lot of issues with calibur, and I didnt even know about hilde. SC4 is, like tekken and SF4, games that I have tried to play but I just cannot force myself to like their game system, the 'feel' of it (or lack thereof). I firmly believe that Im not so good in these games because I dont like them. Its kind of difficult learning something that you dislike.

5. SuperPanda

@Manji:

Not sure why you quoted that? T6BR arcade has been available since... Dec 08 IIRC.

I know what you mean by "feel", I'm not a fan of the new UFC game for example - but I wouldn't go around calling the UFC game "scrubby" or "shallow". I don't know enough to make that call. I simply say that I don't like the way it "feels" or "plays" as well. If other people like it, cool. But I'm not going to bash it and spread false ideas because I didn't fancy it.

6. DrDogg

DrDogg Well-Known Member

Yeah, T6BR hit arcades in December, a year after T6 Vanilla.

As far as not liking the combat system, I can understand that. However, have you tried to become competent at the game? I've found that with many fighters (and especially VF), the game plays completely different at scrub/novice levels compared to how it plays at competitive levels.

For example, a lot of people don't like VF because they think it's slow. But at higher levels of play it's just as fast as any other fighter, if not faster. A lot of people also think the game lacks a solid "combo system", but again, at higher levels of play there are combos and juggles left and right.

7. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    It is for that reason people must really try to know the system before they assume that it is slow etc. At high levels most games are about the same however VF isn't as user friendly earlier on while games like SF or Tekken is and based on that people claim games like VF is slow or lacking without really knowing what the system is all about.

If that is how people want to play it that is up to them but they really make a real effort to see what a game really has in it before they make any real assumptions about it good or bad. First impressions aren't always the most important thing when it comes down to great fighters VF is a great example of that.

8. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

VF, SC, and Tekken are really at the top of the food chain for 3d fighters. Expert players in any of these games deserve much respect and to be a high level player in any one of these games
    you've developed pretty much[/size] the same set of skills. At the highest level of play all of the games are awesome and the players who reach those high levels deserve their props. But let me say this, the distance from an intermediate player to a top player in VF is greater than the distance between intermediate players in Tekken/SC to top players in Tekken/SC.

In other words you can reach expert status in Tekken/SC faster than you can in VF. And high level players that play both Tekken and VF know that in a high level VF match there is less chance than there is in a high level Tekken or SC match.

Once you cross a certain level of play in VF the game goes to he/she who has made the least amount of mistakes. Chance plays a little(little[/size]) more of a role in high level Tekken /SC matches.

I play and enjoy all of them. I've added UFC to my list, and
    IMHO VF is pound 4 pound the best fighting game on the planet
    [​IMG] I'll give SC a close 2nd, and Tekken a close 3rd.

Not h8tn on Tekken or SC, but we have to give honor where its due. VF rules.

(I guess the fireballs, kangeroos, lizards, pandas, and flying pirates bias me a little against Tekken and SC [​IMG] ) [/size]

9. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

No.

Let retarded comments about Tekken on this forum come to an end. Please.

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    @superpanda: There are no arcade operators in Finland of any kind.

yes. The more I play the less I like. It all seems fine when talking theory here at forums. When I start to actually play these games..

ps. Seeing this match made my brain finally go ding and I havent played SF4 since. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=130ja39T8qk&feature=channel_page

11. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

12. SuperPanda

Only an utter scrub would ever try to say something like that about skill gaps in any game.

Do you know what light dashes, wave dashes, snake dashes, hayashida steps, JF's, are? Do you know how taunt cancels work? Do you know that Tekken's oki/wake-up game is deeper than either SC's, SF's, or VF's?

No you don't.

If you suck at a game, keep your mouth shut. VF isn't better than Tekken anymore. If you can't deal with that, then have the decency and humility to admit that you have no clue.

One guy said it best before: underestimation is the child of arrogance and ignorance. And master po, you are both arrogant and ignorant about Tekken (SC is far broken than even SF4 - I'd gladly play as Hilde, who I never use, and lay on the doom combo on you just so that you can see).

13. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Here we go again.. Are you happy now?

14. Jeneric

How ironic, I've yet to see you yourself display any actual knowledge of Tekken or VF. In fact, I think you, like most people engaging in Tekken vs VF debates, don't really know that much about either game, you're just picking sides to make yourself feel special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VF isn't better than Tekken anymore. If you can't deal with that, then have the decency and humility to admit that you have no clue.
    </div></div>Again, how ironic that your idea of humility and decency is to force your opinion of what game is better on other people.

Now, let this thread die.

15. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

The Virtua Fighter series is the deepest, most intelligent and intuitive, and most balanced fighting game series in history. There is no denying it. The graphics and animation, realistic representation of fighting styles, and character variety,are second to none and are always cutting edge for each iteration. Tekken has borrowed far more from VF than you would care to admit and will never be ahead of the VF series in terms of anything but popularity. Fighting games aren't measured by their worth in popularity regarding depth, style, and balance. Don't confuse mass appeal with depth and substance.

Tekken is popular on consoles because it includes animals, bowling mode, and story modes. Tekken is popular in arcades because it is incredibly easy at low to mid levels and has Pandas and Lions and Devils and customizations. Tekken isn't easy at high levels, but high level Tekken is easier than mid level VF.

To say that any aspect of fighting games is deeper outside of VF means you are most likely comparing apples to oranges. Such as "SF has a better projectile game than VF" or "Blazblue has better Astral Finishes than VF". Odds are if VF has it, it's the deepest, most well designed version. This includes Okizeme, combo system (and no I don't mean juggles I mean all combo types), movement, and it's throw system, as well as all other aspects.

Look at the animations compared to Tekken and Virtua Fighter. The Tekken series has a lazy, stiff and rigid look to it. The characters in Tekken don't move as if they are human and they look ugly. VF has a smooth and natural flow to almost all of its animations. VF is meant for the connoisseur, a sophisticated individual, an adult. Tekken is marketed heavily at the youngest and most casual players.

And VF's style is intelligent as well. It's a game meant to realistically represent different fighting styles yet break laws of physics to allow for some fun as well as all fighting games do. Tekken's style is people possessed by Satan or giant pandas and other zoo animals or characters made of tree bark...not exactly stylistically refined but it's meant to be. It's meant for pop culture and consumer culture. Games for the masses. VF isn't exactly screaming for casual players because it's not a casual friendly game. The styles are more apples and oranges because VF is a hardcore game. Tekken objectively is not.

Once you achieve mid to high level of VF play I don't understand how you could possibly acknowledge any other series as being as deep or as balanced or even as stylistic as the VF series. I'm not saying you can't be a fan of ST, or Tekken, or KoF, or BB, but certainly you cannot say any of those series can hold a candle to VF in terms of game play.

I've played a fair amount of T6BR at the arcade and have around 2,500 matches in T5DRO. I have played some of the best U.S. players in Tekken (and never won of course). I have a good assortment of T5DR/T6/BR DVDs from Korea and Japan as well and I have watched hundreds more hours of Tekken matches via YouTube. I have an understanding of Tekken's basic fighting system and I would say I'm slightly under mid level though I'm not trying to get better until T6BR hits consoles. So what I'm saying is that I don't "suck enough" at Tekken to have to keep my mouth shut. I'll be hammering away at BR on the PS3/360 and have two LE bundles pre-ordered.
    Nothing will ever be as good as VF. VF4FT and VF5R are the best fighting games of all time as far as I can tell. Though 5R might not make it to consoles it doesn't change the fact that it's marginally superior to T6BR in every way. Namco might know how to handle marketing Tekken better but it comes at a price of making the game have too much casual appeal in my opinion.

Other than popularity, compared to VF, Tekken has nothing going for it once you understand how to really play VF.

16. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

n00bs are allowed opinions too! ...you do a pretty good job of proving that.

17. SuperPanda

Again, how ironic that your idea of humility and decency is to force your opinion of what game is better on other people.

Now, let this thread die. </div></div>

Have I once claimed that Tekken was a better game than VF? Throughout this thread, and in other threads in this forum, I've repeatedly stated that the two are both great games, but it does boil down to preference. I said it to Matteo directly: I do have a beef with ignorant people who post BS as if it were truth.

If anyone asked me the same question, which was better, Tekken or VF, from VF1 up to VF4, I would have said VF without even blinking. But Namco have done a fantastic job with BR, and they deserve a lot of respect and praise for it, not some insecure jab that high-level Tekken players are of a "lower level" than high-level players of VF. That was just pure BS.

18. Jeneric

Seriously, I just needed to scroll up to your last post to find:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throughout this thread, and in other threads in this forum, I've repeatedly stated that the two are both great games, but it does boil down to preference. I said it to Matteo directly: I do have a beef with ignorant people who post BS as if it were truth.</div></div>So do I, which is why I don't like what you're doing.

Again, I don't see you ever writing anything about Tekken that even hints at you knowing as much about it as you claim. Heck, when you're trying to say things that make up a great player you only mention fancy stick techniques and stuff like JFs which you don't even need to be a top player. There are several high lvl Japanese Bryans who don't even use his taunt, Qudans himself said you don't need to wavedash to be a good Mishima.

You're just trying to stir up shit and get the last word in. Don't.

19. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Seriously, why are you here? I'm not trying to push you away, I'm just unsure of what you're trying to do. The majority of your posts on this forum are in Tekken related threads, and non-Tekken related thread posts usually have some reference to it in them. If you are trying to get people here to play Tekken, then give it a rest.

If you like Tekken, fair enough, I'm not going to say you're stupid for liking it, but the majority of people here are intelligent enough to know what they like to play without being told, and some of them don't like Tekken (this is VFDC, after all). You telling them that they should be playing it isn't going to change their minds whatsoever.

I don't like Tekken because it feels slow, stiff and wooden to me, and not fun in general. I don't want to waste my time doing something that thoroughly bores me, so why should I bother to learn the in-depth stuff when I don't get any pleasure out of playing the game in general and I'm never going to use it anyway?

One last thing, do you understand all those Tekken features you listed?

Also, word of advice: Don't argue game systems with Jeneric. You aren't going to win.

20. SuperPanda

Meh. I was annoyed about the way Po disrespected top players, then this?

To answer:

Overhead: We can go on about the finer points of either game (such as that I disagree that VF has a deeper oki game than Tekken, but I will never say that Tekken didn't borrow a ton from VF), but it again boils down to preference. I don't hate on either game. I do hate the disrespect and ignorant comments. When people bash VF on other forums, such as SRK, I would always be one of the responses telling them exactly the same line: shut up if you don't understand the game/suck at it.

Jeneric: what exactly would you want to discuss on a VF forum? post-bound options? which moves lead to a juggle off oki? high wall splats? Discussing Tekken tactics on a VF board makes as much sense as discussing VF tactics on a GG board.

Ash: Not trying to get anyone to like Tekken (or any other game for that matter). Although I am a fan of the game, I do find it very disrespectful to the players when a game they take seriously is underestimated or bashed. As I said: I won't bash the UFC game because I don't like it. Instead, I just keep my mouth shut.