1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help To Start Playing Shun.

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Genzen, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Ok,

Basically I've decided to pick up Shun. I'm not a novice at the game, I main as Jacky, and side as Jeff. However, I know absolutely nothing about Shun, nothing at all.

So I come before you, asking for his basic attack patterns, the commonly used moves and where/when to apply them. I also heard that he has some kind of a sabaki that is really good, so some advice on that would be great too.
    I'll also need a combo that is not stance-specific and can be tacked onto the end of most/all of his floats, so I can take some damage when I get a float.

Help with his stances would also be appreciated. Just some pointers on when to go into them, what the mix-ups are and what not.

Lastly, I'm guessing some help on how to manage his drinks will come in handy. Recommended throws/moves to use to increase the drinks, whether to forfeit damage to take an extra swig, what to press at the end of the round, all stuff like that will be helpful.

I've tried to read the existing threads, but they all talk with the assumption that the player already has Evo knowledge of the character, which I do not.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice, it is appreciated.

Yours,

Ev2.

2. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif (bt sou) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

hit check the last /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. if it hits you get a free /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif_/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (at 16+ dp). the first hit sabakis hp, mp, el, k for the first 21 frames. you can go to bt sou stance through a variety of different ways, not just from /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif

"taste the rainbow"

i would add more about the rest of shun's game, but i don't feel as though i know enough about the game to start giving out advice. i know what's effective, i just don't know how to use it in the best fashion more times than not.

3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Thanks man, that's a good start and it looks pretty effective.

4. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    I haven't had a chance to get my hands on VF5 yet (should be doing that this week :D) but from my observations Shun's basics seem to be similar to VF4.

Shun doesn't have a standard elbow, but /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is possibly the closest substitute. The frames for this move aren't in his favor unless you get a counter hit though, so you want to be in a situation where you dash quickly towards your opponent and time your attack at a closish range (about one forward dash away) to interrupt your opponent. You can also use it when you have a small advantage such as at +2/+3 situations. Once you have a counter, mix up between throw and Chou Wan (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) which is Shun's standard float move. As mentioned you can now cancel /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif into SOU.

Chou Wan is Shun's float move and is pretty awesome. It's fast, will float on any hit and is -8 on block so it's not throw counterable. In VF4 some basic follow ups are:
    Closed Stance, Mid/Light weight - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Open Stance, Mid/Light weight - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

I believe if you remove /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif these combos should work for heavyweights but I haven't played VF5 so you might have to experiment.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can be used as a high/low mix up. The advantage of this mix up is that both moves are half-circular; one needs to be evaded to the back and the other to the front.

Shun has alot of moves with special properties that can beat out opponents moves. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif only takes a tiny amount of damage but can duck under pretty much any move your opponent throws at you. Get a counter hit and you can press with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (which avoids alot of moves as well) or even a throw if the opponent freezes up. If you get a counter and the opponent tries to attack use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to beat many different types of attack. This will leave you standing with an opportunity to press the advantage.

As mentioned Shun's new SOU sabaki is powerful and so is his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif sabaki which deflects your opponent's attacks pretty much instantly (and requires 10+ Drinks).

Speaking of drinks there's a good variety of ways for Shun to get drinks, namely his neutral and 270 throw, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which can be followed by /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif again on block/hit should your opponent attack you while drinking and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in SOU which looks like a good addition.

5. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

That's some useful stuff there, thanks man.

The problem I'm having at the moment is finding good ways to make use of that sabaki from that weird stance (the stance that takes a drink when you enter it if you don't do anything, I think it's known as SOU).

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The sabaki is a big reason why Shun is as strong as he is in VF5 imo. I think what's important in using that sabaki is being able to do the sabaki as a single move. Fortunately, you can do this no matter how many drinks you have (or don't have).

Commit the following command into muscle memory so you can do it at will:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif --> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (do this all as one continuous motion)

Keep practicing doing that move until it's like doing any other move.

Then, start practicing it by doing it after other attacks.

And then start doing the move after your opponent has blocked certain attacks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Eventually, you can also mixup the other Backturned-SOU moves by doing those instead of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Just do them immediately before Shun takes a drink.

I think getting used to doing BT SOU attacks from the normal position is huge in VF5 and it unlocks a lot of potential.

-Chanchai

P.S. This is pretty much the same thing that Tribal said, but I'm emphasizing that you can do the sabaki as if it was a normal attack. The good places to use the sabaki is when you're at a disadvantage /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

7. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. I'd kind of come to that conclusion myself, but it's good to see how others think.

I'm actually now struggling for a move to use against crouching opponents that does some decent damage. Other than K+G or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+p, I can't really find a decent move to use to punish a recover from crouch, or an opponents low punch when they are at a small disadvantage.

Any suggestions, good people?

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

More thoughts from someone who doesn't play (or know) Shun enough. Take the following with a grain of salt, but I hope it's at least worth considering /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Keep in mind that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is the same attack as /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif but theoretically it is 1 frame faster, so it has 17 frames of execution which puts it in the same boat as /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. I like having both of those options.

I don't play Shun enough, but I've heard that Shun lacks a good guaranteed punisher. I think this pretty much implies that Shun lacks a standard elbow. However, the other comment I often hear is how strong Shun is on defense.

The BT SOU game is one example of how Shun can play strong defensively and work around the opponent's counter-offense.

Another example is how strong /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is in avoiding basic attacks and hitting the opponent right away. Also, as you know, how effective /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is because of its followup abilities.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is troublesome because you'll have to force stand Shun, which would add at least 2 frames (I think if you're in a situation where you can pre-buffer, you can add simply 1 frame instead of 2).

There is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and I don't know how viable that is. But it's a mid-attack with 15 frames of execution. The followups (including stance option) might be enough to convince the opponent to refrain from trying to punish right away.

How much advantage do you need for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to beat a low punching opponent? I don't think you need much advantage at all. And that move is a wonderful low punch punisher with both drinking and damage potential.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif --> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for drinks.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif --> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif --> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif --> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for damage, okizeme, and some followups.

I wish /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif was a 14 or 15 frame attack. But it's still nice at 16 frames, especially considering that your other good options are typically 17 frames. I think it's still more of a pester move more than anything though. Probably good when opponent's back is near the wall?

-Chanchai

9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Interesting, I'll try and put some of that into practice. Again thanks a lot.

Anyone else with thoughts or suggestions is welcome to post.

10. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (risky)
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    taste the rainbow
    bt sou /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

if you've got the drinks/time to do it, try adding the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ender to the various strings where applicable after the first hit (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif series, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif series). the first hit will whiff, but the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ender will hit them (which looks like
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ).

it's true that shun has a hard time hitting crouching opponents in the heat of battle, but as was stated his defense and setups are what make him a force to be reckoned with. sometimes i'll just wait for the opponent to duck, not react with anything, then try chouwan or something along those lines. bd is your friend.

11. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether the punch series were any good, but you make a point about using the ender to hit.

I've actually found that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif seems to be quite a handy move, as it has evasive properties that crouch under high moves, and it gains +4 drinks. The only problem is that it is slow, and the opponent can often react in time to rise from their crouch and guard it.

12. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

This move used to be alot better in vf3 but if you really like it, use it sparingly. It's fairly safe after launching the opponent up with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif unless you are close to a wall or fighting against wolf.

13. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    One thing that will help out your Shun a lot is learning all the different qualities of his moves. Also, if you haven't already, read some of the Shun FAQs from EVO and before, namely the ones by DrunkenCat and Namflow. Those should help a lot.

Another thing that helps me a lot when I play Shun is to simply remember all of his moves. Sometimes I will forsaken his (small) guaranteed damage just so I can set up other things later on, like throws, Chowan, or stances. Shun is a great defensive player, but his offense is also great once your opponent is confused. SOU and BT SOU really help with this.

As far as BT SOU /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif goes, I usually go for it when I feel my opponent is going to be offensive from a distance. It will lose consistently to low punchers, but if you have good spacing you can beat out the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif with BT SOU /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (not easy, but extremely satisfying).

Also, I never use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, only /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, because it is reliably 17 frames, whereas /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can be 18, 19, or possibly more (because there's a window where the game isn't certain you're doing the mule kick or you're doing a jump).

Unless you block something that's -16 for a standing opponent or -17 for a ducking opponent, your guaranteed damage is going to be pretty pathetic. If your opponent is at -14 standing, take /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (I'm trying to get into the habit of this more myself), and if he's at -13 standing, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (but you abandon oki).

I think one of the most important aspects of Shun is just to have fun, and to be confident. I hope you find those FAQs I mentioned, they should help.

14. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot Ladon, that definitely gives me some more ideas on what to use. At least now I know that his middle level damage is not that great (until the mighty chou wan comes busting out) and that I'm not missing something, so I can start to work around dealing with this in my move set.

If anyone can give me some advice on what other things I can do from BT SOU (such as some details on how the moves are applicable and why they are good) or direct me to a thread that does this, I would be very grateful.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from drunken stance is another floater you can use. I believe it's a mid, but don't quote me on it. It advances Shun about a forward dash's distance and pops the opponent into the air. I usually follow with a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif with a down attack like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or you can also do a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (in theory).

I'm surprised no one has brought up drink management. It's a whole other level to Shun and the complexity behind him.

I was watching some of SHU's videos and a "drinkers combo" if you will was /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which would do some damage and get you a guaranteed 4 drinks if you could just get the kangaroo kick to hit.

16. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been using that combo with with the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, but every time I do, my opponent tech-rolls the hit, and gets what seems to be a guaranteed hit whilst Shun is recovering from taking his drink.

I find it hard to get a decent amount of drinks, and often end up spamming his neutral throw, resulting in a lot of lost damage, as my opponent can easily read and escape that throw.

I find the best way to get the drinks is to take the odd sip each time a knock down is gained, and try to work in the odd neutral throw in non-guaranteed situations, and hopefully get enough to be able to use his +10 drinks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif throw, for an extra drink gaining direction.

One think that is bothering me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw, it loses you three drinks, and doesn't seem to be anymore powerful than the regular /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw, nor does it seem to give any real advantages in regards to rising games. Am I missing something, or is this just an arse throw that shouldn't be used?

17. JimmyBiscuits

JimmyBiscuits Active Member

on the one hand, shun has been my main character since vf2; on the other hand i've never lived in a city with serious competition. so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

true that after the u+k+g, f+p+k (for 4 drinks) the opponent can TR and come in fast to hit you, but i often take that risk, cuz i just love getting drinks. once i get 10 though, i go for a combo or down attack there. i often use that mule kick after a successful dodge.

the auto-drinks he takes from going into his new stance are cool, but in my experience happen too slowly to work unless your opponent is knocked down. on the other hand, i have been getting trickier with the new stance. you can use the p,p,b+p to go into forward SOU, then throw out a kick, then p,p,k, or mix it up with d+k, or go for the sabaki after the first kick...plenty of options! and i'm in the bt SOU, i usually go for the d+k, sabaki, or lately trying to get the timing down cancelling on the k+g to lie down position to lead into a sweep or the k,k,p,k combo there.

true you can get punished if you cancel into a fall after db+k,k, but i use it sometimes just to keep the guessing game going. the mule kick that you can do once you've fallen face down like that can be a good surprise attack.

i agree about that b,f+p+g throw not really being worth it, at the cost of 3 drinks. shun's df, f, b, and basic throws are the ones i focus on.

on a rising opponent, if you're trying to press the attack, i like to switch up with shun's charged elbow (df+p+k), k+g, or the 3 breakdance sweeps.

delaying his canned combos at random intervals has been effective for me as well.

when i play shun, getting drinks is always on my mind, though every now and then i try to ignore the drinks and just use what he has at 0 drinks. trying that sometimes helps, forcing you to use his mobility more than his tricks, like his dodges, b+p+k+g, uf+p+k+g. and when you play like that, you can fall down with him all you like without worrying about losing drinks.

18. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Ah, I had totally overlooked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, so I think I might have to start using that.

As for the drinks, I am very much geared towards them, but I'm finding that you need to be able to fight with him at lower drink levels, otherwise you end up sacrificing too much damage and health to get there. I'm thinking that part of mastering Shun is finding that nice balance between maintaining drinks and applying pressure, so that the opponent doesn't get any free rides, but you still gain a steady increase of drinks throughout the fights.

One simple question; I need something to beat out low punch when I go into back turned SOU after something like a blocked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (canceled to backturned SOU) because at the moment, my opponent simply low punches every time I use this.

19. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    To my knowledge, there is nothing that will help you against low-punch in that scenario, since you're just way too close to your opponent. Try to delay the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for a counter-hit sometimes, but other times just end the string prematurely and go for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, or even /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. You can also try simply backdashing and trying stuff from there, offensive or defensive, maybe even /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif > BT SOU /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

20. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Hmm, sounds like a plan. I'll keep it in mind, thanks man.