1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

new fighting styles should virtua fighter 4

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Drunken_Master, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

what styles would you like to see? i would like to see monkey kung fu and boxing if the e button is in number 4 boxing style would be great

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

2. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

this topic was discussed quite recently. search for that post by searching for 'uk_kid' (seeing as i think i initiated the thread).

3. Guest

Guest Guest

2 new fighters, first one: traditional fighting style(like VF3): boxing,....?
    second one: something funky, something that people don't see so often(like Vf2): Kalahari from india,scorpion-style,monkey(stances?)....

4. Finsane

Finsane Member

I'd go with karate... Monkey's fine if it's done with stances(high/low etc.)

5. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

has anyone here seen Magnificent Butcher staring sammo hung and theres a person in it who fights cat style he was called Crazy Cat i think. someone like him would be a laugh to play

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Cat Style: Perhaps Honey in FV2? /images/icons/smile.gif

Hmmm.... Chinese-oriented (VF2), Japan-oriented (VF3), perhaps Korea? (TKD and Hapkido come to mind).

Who knows, with the popularity of Tekken and Soul Calibur and bells and whistles... who knows what might end up happening... However, that's a view that should be noted to be more focused on the Western Hemisphere. As far as I know, VF was probably one of the most popular arcade fighting series ever (in Japan and some East-Asian countries). But you never know... We've discussed it before.

Back on style.... Lots of options, what's gonna be distinct though? Seems we already have the modern straight-forward hard styles, soft chinese styles, traditional Japanese styles (that happen to be pretty unique). I guess a PURE focus on grappling might be inevitable. Spotlite mentioned this. I'd love a boxing style that implemented dodge and footwork (not too much). Who knows...

From reversals, to multiple reversals (for most situations), to sweep reversals, to inashi.... So would grappling be the next step with grapple-reversals? A reversal that catches the attack and goes into multi-throw, but with a diverse guessing game? I'm also thinking that Aoi's multi-throw will be much more involved and open so that it's not so easy to escape (something that feels obvious anyways).

On a goofy note, are they gonna add detail for the likes of Wolf where he can climb on a turnbuckle or wall (FV style) and slam his opponent (creating a big hole in the ground)? Perhaps FV style throws that merely slam the opponent into the wall (running) or RO in a similar way? Not that I would be too crazy about that, but it wouldn't be bad as long as a lot of ol' Wolf elements are still there.

-Chanchai

7. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Sammo Hung movies suck dick. I also do not want "crazy martial arts styles" in the game maybe some Muay Thai or some Russian Sambo or Karate would be good. Also someone please put Sonny Chiba in a video game. I think they should put more defensive techniques in the game. What I meanby defensive moves is like head and shoulder movements like in western boxing maybe you could perform these movements by pressing guard and escape with directional movements . One more thing I would like is maybe a mid crouch were you duck but not all the way to crouch.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

8. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I apologize for the poor paragraph structure above I used "also" way too many times. I think I need to take a writing class of somekind.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Well there's no Bruce Lee clone! Every fighting game should have one! JEET KUNE DO, JEET KUNE DO, JEET KUNE DO, everybody! JEET KUNE DO,JEET KUNE DO,JEET KUNE DO!

10. Chanchai

Umm... Jacky and Sarah are Jeet Kune Do, and in general... it's more like Jeet Kune Do than a lot of other "Bruce Lee's" in fighting games (which tend to emulate the "cinematic" Bruce Lee as opposed to the Jeet Kune Do artist).

A Shaolin monk in VF4 eh? Interesting, hope he has forms and stance changes/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

P.S. Could this Shaolin Monk be the mysterious student that Shun came across in the VF2 tourney?! TUM-TA-TUM-TUM!/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Fool
    Jacky and Sarah both uses Jeet Kun DO

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Oops! My mistake! :p

13. Chanchai

all good, we all make mistakes/images/icons/smile.gif

But I think I know what you were talking about. A character that has the look and cinematic feel of Bruce Lee. However, I like that kind of stuff kept in the other fighters (btw, Li Long in Soul Edge reminds me of a pic of Bruce Lee while he was trying to look like a bunch of different traditional Chinese Warriors). With VF, I like how you can somewhat draw references towards other inspirations in its characters, but not necessarily trying to rip them off or replicate them.

As much as Shun's movements are similar to Drunken Master 1 and 2 (I never took time to compare, so this is based on what others have said), I still think Shun fights like Shun and nothing else. He has his own character and I like that a lot. In fact, I feel that the VF characters have "character." Perhaps the storyline is lame, and you don't even see their dialogue, but in the game itself, they represent their own unique selves.

Many people appeal to Tekken's character designs because they can relate them to icons they already know about or like (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan--who HAS played serious detective roles, Rutgeur Haur--hope I spelled that right, etc...). However, I sometimes feel that without the FMVs that backs the storyline up, inside the game itself, the Tekken characters don't really have any character. Nice animations here and there, but I just never really felt the "self" in them. Kind of like hollow acting or something.

I think DoA2 and Soul Calibur had character in their characters. That's probably a big part of why I think artistically, Tekken feels lacking. Which has impressions on why Tekken might not even look as good to me. Tekken looks really good in its own hard-hitting, flashy way. But the characters themselves feel unoriginal (almost comic-book/Mortal Kombatish and definitely immitating some characters) and only loaded with hard hitting animations and the cinematic sequences to fill that void. As far as VF, DoA2, and SE/SC are concerned, I think they have character that exists in combat and almost takes control of how they are played eventually. Or at least gives us direction on how we should play the characters (like how everyone describes how a character "should be played").

Anyways, fighting styles and character go hand in hand to me to illuminate the art in these games. In fighting games. It's one of the strong appeals to me in VF, I simply like the way it's done in there.

-Chanchai