1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New Guy askin some questions about VF4

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by KagezRage, Jul 25, 2002.

1. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Wolf: sure: he will get a rush from throwing you out of ring with Giant Swing throw. Low punch-> GS (41236+P+G) HCF+P+G
    check out Mr.Whites Wolf combo FAQ Wolf has a nice Knee that starts juggles and floaty combos! Go to Home page here then select Wolf under VF4 section on left.
    Myke just changed the way discussions are stored/retrieved and it works great.
    Wolf is sllooowww and takes a lot of practice to win with until he masters the GS and feels comfortable with combos you will have to play like you are being paid to lose. And..you are ...really... investing time in his confidence and enthusiasm will pay dividends to you later. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif Controlling flow with a single upright or d+P is important with Wolf. I really get a kick out of his throws. it might help too if you select a character that you can not play and use their worst moves. hiro-sensei wrote a good introduction for Wolf VF3 check to see if those notes are still available, if not then message ice-9 as he may have it stored off-line.
    Check out Shangs work on VF3tb Wolf much of it is no longer valid but there are gems that should help there too. CD into throw is great fun! Then work on throw escapes...a few weeks from now...;)

2. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

check the wolf combo FAQ man that's a good way to go, start from there to bring his interest to VF4, i'm training my 8 YR. old brother, he well trained in Jacky, Pai and LIon, and boy does he give my friends a hard time, even me, i got him so interested in the game that he spent most of his vacation at my apartment just playing VF. man and he's getting better and better at it, show him how cool an in-depth fighting game can be, awright bro, /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif peace

3. Foondogg

Foondogg Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll try that. Now if I could only convert my hardcore Tekkenite friend ...................

4. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

have them go to: 1) CreeD's new vid page! ( on a Tekken site!) and 2) Hyun's Tekken convert to VF4 FAQ!

5. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

way cool. I taught my ten year old nephew Jacky and he now has the fastest finish on our PS2! Also, when family visited from Chicago I coached 12 year old nephew with Lei and within two weeks he was destroying his Dad who has played since VF1. . /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

6. Foondogg

Foondogg Well-Known Member

He's kinda bullheaded, he probably wont listen to me when i tell him. But he'll play VF4 if i make him /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif /versus/images/icons/wink.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Hey y'all, I've tossed this thread into kumite forum since that's what most of the posts are now about. Have a good time.

8. death_raven

its kind of amazing watching kids progress in the game and be able to adapt to the tactics the persons do to them, last time i played with my bro i was surprised how he kept faking me out with jacky, he came up with the idea of doing [3][P] then [3][P] again then throw, it was amazing, i tell yah, first of all i wasn't expecting this especially from my kid brother, but i was amazed at how it worked for him, the attack had frame advantages to a lot of other attacks so he interupts my counter attack, plus if i guard he has an opportunity for a throw, it tok me a while to adapt to that too, (considering i haven't played as much as he did in the past week), its kinda fun, although there's that insecurity that some day he will whoop you and own you forever in VF hehe /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. lau_fists

lau_fists Well-Known Member

DEATH RAVEN: I still cannot understand what the hell you're
    saying, because you have no ability to write coherent posts. Anyway, being
    an older guy, I stop listening to anyone after the first time they say "dude", even
    once. At least Creed criticizes me in actual paragraphs with correct spelling so
    I can understand EXACTLY what he's saying. Oh, DR, don't worry. Once you hit
    puberty you'll find you have to learn to communicate clearly, so that girls will
    actually understand you like them. Then your brain won't work in such an unfocused, rambling
    blather, because you will be a man at last.

I've been playing a LOT of Lei Fei lately (against the CPU, of course) and I
    notice that I AM more apt to use the same moves over and over, a) because these
    sabakis of Lei's are just so awesome, and b) the CPU falls for them again and
    again. I don't know if my Lei play is good or not, because I worked very hard to
    get Lau to 5th Dan, but Lei at 3rd was, well, quite fun and easy. I hate to think
    my Lei play is merely cheap and repetitious, but I may be becoming a hypocrite for
    accusing others of "cheaply" winning in Kumite.

10. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

LAU_FISTS: Still nobody understands why your posting this. Its over already. You have no ability to write smart posts. Anyways being active members at vfdc, we stop listining to people like you who flame after it has passed do us a favor and shut up......

11. death_raven

there you go with you're stupid assumptions again, how do you know i'm young because, "oh the guy likes to use the word DUDE therefore he's a 14 year old kid, LOL what a dumbass, you don't understand my posts, because you don't want to understand them, and you wont, because you're a NOOB who thinks you know everything VF has to offer, and thinks your word is law, this is why some noobs don't progress because of the high and mighty attitude some of you posses, you honestly admitted that you don't care much for fighting games, so your know how on VF is highly questionable and mostly wrong, you have compared CPU and human opposition,( do you understand what opposition means, i hope so) with out experience on both, yeah you heard me you don't have experience on both CPU and human opposition, you can't even win with some CPU characters, Pathetic, if you wanted to try fighting games you should have tried something less complicated, something a stubborn ignorant monkey like you can understand, i really dont like flaming, but your pushing it, so shut the F*** up, pull the dual shock controller out of your ass and then put you head into your butthole, then suddenly you'll be your own discovery channel, hope its not too much for you to understand.

12. cooks94

DUDE... you said butthole hahahaha. Oh crap i shouldnt have posted this now lau_fists will think im a kid...... dude...... /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

13. lau_fists

HAHAHAHAHHEEEHEEHEE. You boys need to go out and live
    some real life. Find girls, throw some hay bails, get real jobs. Stop
    living off your parents and go live, kids! If you did that you'd find
    perspective on the whole VF thing, and perhaps you and Creed and
    some of you other VF elitists would welcome some adult outside
    views on this game. The good thing about an old guy like me being
    involved here is that it disproves the idea that only young, life-deprived,
    intellectually-devoid twerps are the only ones allowed to express views
    on this game. If I'm wrong, then state it like an adult so it seems like I'm
    talking to someone with half-a-brain, and not just some cretinous parent-suckler.

And Creed, I think the phrase, "learning a martial art with your thumbs" makes
    perfect sense. Within the VF world's martial art simulation, the phrase is apt. I
    practice real boxing, and I'm a writer, and because I live in the real world I can see when someone
    is taking poetic liscense. The fact that you would say something as idiotic as
    "you can't learn martial arts through VF" based on my phrase shows blind contempt.
    If the other dimwits that visit and post on this site say such things, that's not my
    problem. What I know about martial arts is what I worked hard to grasp, in the
    real world. Show some respect for NOOBS like me who post, even when we're wrong, because you come
    across sounding like a VF snob out to show up the NOOB.

14. cooks94

[Show some respect for NOOBS like me who post, even when we're wrong, because you come
    across sounding like a VF snob out to show up the NOOB.]

We show respect to NOOBS just not to ones like you who come here and act like they know everything about the game even though they just started with VF4 and talk total bullshit to people who are trying to correct them. You said that for Aoi and Shun that it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a good win rating. Did you ever trie them? Did you just FEEL that they were the hardest because your not good with them?? Probably. Well if thats the case dont bad mouth good VF players by saying they use "cheese" methods to beat the computer when in fact they could wipe the floor with you and any computer in a heartbeat.

Second what make you think your the only "old guy" here many people here have life jobs and women. But unlike you our women dont deflate after were done with them and our jobs dont involve fliping burgers at some fast food place. Your because-you-made-fun-of-me-means-your-a-kid attitude is crap dont bring it here it belongs in gamefaq were you will be accepted with open arms.

Third and finaly you really, really, REALLY cant learn ANY martial arts from playing VF. Unlike in the add for VF4 i doubt very highly that you can go to Jeet Kune Do dojo and see people watching as the sensei plays as Jacky and Sara. Martial arts with your thumbs is complete nonsense. It may be poetic liscense but it is poetic in the dumbest sense. Not only will you not say "I know thumb karate step back" if you get into a fight but you wouldnt even say that at a VF arcade "I know thumb Tourou-Ken who wants some??"

15. death_raven

Question : are we really the kids you say we are Lau_fist, or are you the kid hiding the fact that you can't admit you were wrong in your assumptions?

most of everything you said you have no proof of, your lack of skill in the game shows that your comprhension is low, and you claim to be a writer? hmmm that's something, because writers are good in comprehensions, also you can't even observe how similar the CPU's tactics are. after what i read in yur last post, and how low of an understanding you presented, it seems your nothing more than 12 year old, or at least the way your brain fuctions is like a 12 year old. so what's the truth here? coz for a writter you sure are stubbornly closed minded to admit you're wrong and stand corrected. just a thought.

wether its false or not, wether you're a kid or an adult, wether you're pretender or a writer, the Fact will remain that your assumption about VF are wrong, and experience in the game (not in being a writer) will prove that to you. but just to let you know your false assumptions are like a virus and will poison the ignorant.

16. lau_fists

"Learning a martial art with your thumbs" means the Virtua Fighter version of martial arts, that particular representation and NOT real martial arts, is what is being learned via the thumb acrobatics required to become adept. Does that make sense?

I don't think I ever said it was impossible to get high winning percentages with Shun or Aoi, just more difficult. I love Shun and wish I could play him effectively. Shun was actually the first character I tried, the one I gravitated to. I hate to make it sound like Shun is handicapped, but really...Shun's a character designed for VS mode. Truly, if I was to pick any character to play exclusively against humans, it'd be Shun.

I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all who knows nothing. I'm just trying to learn the way to play the game properly, one way or the other. I do NOT want to be the kind of player who uses cheap methods to beat Kumite. At the same time, I suppose the computer dictates repetition because it is, itself, repetitous.

17. death_raven

well about about "learning martial arts by thumb, i agree with it really, and what you said make sense, its not something you would really apply towards real life but towards the game.

about Shun and Aoi, well.. you never actually said its impossible, but then you told us we did cheap methods, and somehow it sounded insulting,but really we don't use cheap method,we work probably just as hard as any other to get a charcter to highking, but off course most of us have played kumite over over again to really not notice much difficulty, hence the high win ratio, and i dont know if you read some theads about Aoi and shun, but if i remember correctly most players said that Shun and Aoi are characters where you need to play mind games with your opponent, and at one point i agree, this is one reason why its a little tough with them in kumite, because for sure you can't play mindgames with the CPU because they'll just keep on attacking you, its very hard to confuse them, like what most said for example, Aoi, if you're using her you can't use G-cancel moves against the CPU, so mind game in kumite is out of the question, which is why both Shun and Aoi are more likely to be use more effectively in VS. mode

and really its not the know-it-all-attitude that bugs most of us, its just that in some parts of this conversation you did not accept being corrected, i mean more than one person corrected you about some things in the game that was right and you insisted in your assumptions, no offense but sometimes it gets annoying, and as for cheap methods you don't have to do cheap method against kumite, and we certainly don't advise it as well, why? because with cheap methods you really won't understand anything about VF, plus it will leave a big flaw in your progress.

and yes the CPU itself can be repetitious, after all its mostly the way they're programmed.

hopefully this arguement is resolved, good luck in getting to know VF4's gameplay.

18. redhead

redhead Well-Known Member

sorry to but in but der is nothing more fucking boring than big brother full stop..

19. Electro_Jacky

Electro_Jacky Well-Known Member

PSN:
    electrolex
    XBL:
    electro lex
    LOL

Amen to that bro

Optimus Prime: One shall stand, one shall fall.
    Megatron: Why throw away your life so recklessly?
    Optimus Prime: That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron.

20. TomDC85

TomDC85 Well-Known Member

(off-topic) Am back from my holiday in Canada. Will soon do needed revision of Lau FAQ, as first draft was admittedly shakey. Still, don't think I deserved quite that much of a flamin' from GLC... Clearly stated that it was work in progress. Might be a couple of weeks though. New job, friends to see, etc...

(on-topic) I'll say my bit then leave. Once you learn the CPU's tacky routines, it is VERY easy to win. Full stop. My Shun, Jefrey, and Aoi all have 100% wins, my Lau has 98% because he was the first character I used. I did not 'cheat' once, and have purposefully avoided cheap tricks. I am still relatively new to VF4 and only a few of my friends own the game. I became a high king before I played a human. Becomming a High King was easy (killer Instinct, Street fighter, Primal Rage, Capital punishment, Rise of the robots (shit), Body blows, Tekken 3 to name just a fraction of my old-school fighters that have shaped me). Beating even less-experienced players was not. Lau_Fists, try a human fighter because you're right.- the CPU repetetivity is infectious. I can promise that you'll be beaten because that is what Kumite does to you e.g. it never escapes low throws, and I could win against HKs with only them. Not so on a human. Good fun, but not a real challenge if you know its game. Oh, and try not to critisize people's language, because there might be guys that are new to English and as yet can only grasp the basics.