1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New movie from HK: Ian vs Calvin

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by feixaq, Nov 23, 2001.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Some of the old school VO players may remember Ian Mak and his Temjin & VO FAQs back in 1996. Well, it turns out that he's now an editor at a Hong Kong game magazine...

He recently emailed me to ask if he could upload some VF4 clips, and I was only too happy to oblige. So, today's Lion vs Wolf clip should be the first of (hopefully) many videoclips coming out from HK available at VF4fx.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

How to get these movies -

If anyone's having a rough time getting this clip, here are some tips.

1. Use a real FTP program to download, not internet explorer or netscape.
    With a real FTP program you can keep attempting to connect to Feixaq's server and have it automatically retry if the server is busy. You can even set it to retry an unlimited number of times (let's say it will try again once every ten seconds) and then immediately start getting the movie while you're away from the computer. This means that you don't have to sit there and keep clicking like crazy while waiting for a free spot to open up on his server, which allows a maximum of 7 people at a time. If you already have an FTP program, skip to the tutorial below

2. I will be mirroring this clip on my old ftp server, which has no user limit but is running off a cable modem, so it's not super fast. The address is
    <a target="_blank" href=ftp://207.5.239.173>ftp://207.5.239.173</a>
    I will eventually mirror it on vf.dyndns.org, which is apparently down until monday.

===========
    A quick tutorial of how you could set up an ftp program to automatically retry while you sit in the living room eating turkey:
    This is for bulletproof ftp, which is similar in design to others that I've seen.

Option A: in BPFTP there's the main menu on the top left. Click it, then click "Enter URL". type in the following.
    ftp://63.64.84.184/upload/Lion(Ian)_vs_Wolf(Calvin).avi
    and it should try to grab the file. To be honest, I'm not sure if it will keep automatically retrying because I use Option B, which I recommend strongly -

This option works if you plan on using the computer for the next 20 minutes or so, but you don't want to keep clicking something to get the movie.

1. Click the site manager (or equivalent, the place that lets you store a list of FTP servers that you like to visit) and fill in the following blanks: (you may need to click a button like "add new site" or something first)

Name of site: Anything you want, I have it listed as "Feixaq's"
    Address of site: 63.64.84.184
    User name: anonymous
    Password: don't fill it in, your program may automatically do it, but either way leave this blank.

2. Click connect. All FTP programs should automatically retry if it's busy. How often they retry is an option you can change. In mine it's under options: General options: retry delay. It's considered rude to retry every three seconds, but I don't know if Feixaq will care :)

3. When it's done, mine does something fairly useful to remind me: the site's welcome message pops up in front of whatever I'm doing, and I click okay and switch to BPFTP to start browsing for the file I want. Dunno how others work.

That's it.
    NOW!@!@@##@!!@##!#!
    Hope this makes things less painful.

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Re: How to get these movies -

Thanks for the excellent post, CreeD. Yeah, it's better to use a real FTP client like WSFTP or CuteFTP or Bulletproof FTP rather than to use the FTP client built into IE, because a real FTP client can autoretry login.

If you're going to use autoretry, please set autoretry to around 15 seconds, because pinging a full server every 3 seconds may slow down the download for everyone else (which in turn means you have to wait in line longer).

Sorry I can't up the maxconnections beyond 7... but hopefully CreeD's post will help make the login process easier. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Ian Mak

Ian Mak New Member

Re: New movie from Taiwan: Ian vs Calvin

Just want to clarify that I am from Hong Kong, not Taiwan. :)

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Um, oops. Don't know where I got the idea that you were from Taiwan. My bad. =/

6. Big Dipper

Big Dipper Well-Known Member

Re: New movie from Taiwan: Ian vs Calvin

hiya Ian! thx for sharing your VF4 movie! here is my addy for Lion VF4. please feel free to explore add your fav options/observations.
    http://www.geocities.com/nycat.geo/Lion
    nycat@thelion.com
    Please let us know if/when you plan a visit to NYC.
    Cheerio!

7. ecvjz

ecvjz Member

Hi Ian, I am from HK too, just wanna know where do u guys play VF4 in HK? I played at LKF but only one standalone machine. Which mag u work at? I'm a keen game mag buyer... :)

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Re: How to get these movies -

mirror the files at rustedtech :=)