1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to sticks help

Discussion in 'Console' started by Magic_beans, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Magic_beans

Magic_beans New Member

Hi, I've been playing VF for a couple of years now but only recently started to use sticks, but I'm having some real trouble with them.

I'm currently using a SC2 stick and my main problem is how I hold the stick. The way I hold it makes it very difficult to input commands quickly, and I was wondering which is the best way to hold the stick.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    The only advice I can give you is hold the stick the way it feels most comfortable to you. I hold the stick with my index finger and thumb while I've seen players hold the stick between their middle and ring finger.

Of course I'd change my position on the stick depending on what movement I'm trying to accomplish. Crouch dashing can be a pain at times so I let go of the stick and tap with my full hand for better execution.

Using a joystick for the first time and having great results are not going to come over night. Just practice, practice, practice with it and DONT GO BACK TO THE PAD! I'd say after 2 weeks it should be second nature. Good luck. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

I went from pad to stick years ago, Here's how I hold the stick:

Index and middle fingers over the up direction

Ring finger and pinky closed, not like a fist... It's harder to wrte than to show. Any way since left and right are the most important directions, I end up using the top part of my middle finger to hit right, and my thumb to pull left.

My thumb will hit up directrions, and my index and middle fingers pull it down.

This is more complicated than it sounds. Use whatever feels right to you. If you are getting killed in quest mode trying to use a stick, just go to arcade mode and set it to easy difficulty if you have to. Go to training mode and go through the movelists. Do whatever you have to do to keep on course. You must stop using the pad. There's no future in it!