1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to Sticks

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by tehmidcap, Apr 1, 2014.

1. tehmidcap

tehmidcap Member

Hi all,

Just made a post in the new starter thread so I won't restate everything there, but my girlfriend and I have just recently plunged head first into the world of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. Probably within 2-3 days of buying the game from Xbox Live Marketplace, I ordered some used Hori EX2 sticks from ebay for the both of us (one plain one DOA4 version). Neither of us had ever used a stick on console and weren't sure we'd commit to making the switch, hence why I started out with some used sticks. For the price of one new regular xbox 360 controller, I'm not complaining.

Now we both know that we just can't go back to using a controller, we're going to be looking to upgrade here in the future. I don't know THAT much about fight sticks besides from what I've read, and I have no experience using any. Sometimes with the ones I have -- I feel like every now and then the stick or the buttons won't respond to a random click here and there -- and I'm not sure whether that's just because it's a cheaper stick or because it was used.

I like the EX2 model, but def have some complaints. It's a bit light feeling, not just the base but the stick itself, feels like it would break and wear fairly easily. Would prefer just a bit more spring in the stick. Slight annoyance that it's wired but it is what it is.

Is it worth the $200 to get a Fighting Edge? Is the Fighting Edge the Fanatec of fight sticks?
    or would a Qanba Q1 or Hori Real Arcade Pro feel tighter and more responsive and nice enough that someone like me may not even notice the difference between these and a more expensive one?

Also; I'm curious how most people hold the stick / position their right hand / map their buttons. I mapped my buttons so that going up and in a curve it goes GUARD (mapped to A) > PUNCH (mapped to B) > KICK (mapped to C), the way that it shows when you bring up the command display. All other buttons set to no use of course, who needs shortcuts. I'd buy a 3 button stick specific to Virtua Fighter if i could! When I first bought the stick I was hoping I could somehow match up the colors of guard punch and kick in the in-game command list with the colors of the buttons on my stick, but no such luck! lol

First few days i was using the pointer on guard, middle on punch, ring on kick... But noticed a few personal problems with that style; I would sometimes press P+K+G when meaning to do just K+G, and I can't really move my ring finger that fast. So I re-learned how to do it with THUMB on guard, pointer on punch, and middle on kick... Working out better so far, aside from the occasional mistake due to my brain thinking I'm using the old style. Is this the way most people play?

But anyway if someone could give me some input on what stick I should upgrade too -- Not looking to spend anymore than $150 to $200 at the very very most... But would consider spending that for a QUALITY product that will LAST!

Should i probably stay away from used, even higher-end products?

2. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

The hori ex 2 is probably the worst choice when talking about a stick. Plus you bought an used version. Those stick are famous to break in few weeks.

Honestly I would suggest you to go straight to a tournamend edition arcade stick (those branded street fighter 4). They are around 100$/€ and if you look for something used maybe even less.

If you plan to play on both consoles the qanba4 is the stick you may want to get.

About the mapping, the last one you described sounds like the standard most of the people use here. If you can't get a move yet is because you need keep practicing. Usually when play in a tournament, people just go in the stick settings, and use the second layout (thumb-> guard, index-> punch and middle-> kick).

Cozby and Sozos like this.
  3. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    $100! <-- this is an amazing price for a stick with Japanese parts. Should last for a couple of years easily if you're gentle with it ;) You can open these up fairly swiftly, and rearrange the parts if needed.

[​IMG]

Here's how Final Showdown looks in Japan. Put the thumb on the bottom button for G, index finger on P, and middle finger rests on K, so you can hit all 3 inputs easily and quickly, which apart from VF3, has been the layout for the game since the early '90s!

[​IMG]

EvenPit, BLACKSTAR, Sozos and 2 others like this.
  4. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yeah, the hori ex2 was the first stick I had in a long time and it was so bad I actually just gave it away. On the one I had, it was actually impossible to do Akira's KNEE as there was no way to press one of the face buttons and have it register as 1 frame. :D

Newer Hori sticks tend to be better built. Anything with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts will probably be built to last so if it's one of those, 2nd had is usually OK. I'd go for something with quick disconnects so it's easier to swap out parts if needed.

5. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I still think you're all crazy for using your thumb on the g button, using my index, middle and ringfinger for g, p and k respectively feels way more natural! And yes, I use the regular layout.

Welcome to the game btw! Lots of fun to be had here :)

daRockReaper likes this.
  6. tehmidcap

tehmidcap Member

I was initially debating between the MadCatz Fightstick Pro (the red one there's a picture of a little higher) and the Hori Real Arcade Pro VX SA KAI -- was wondering if the Hori was worth the extra $40.

From what I was reading, the MadCatz ones are easily modded... I was half-considering buying a used WWE brawl stick for $40 from Ebay and just buying all new Sanwa buttons/stick for it.

But then I saw http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...tStick-Tournament-Edition/productID.253767700

That stick even has the arc style which I would prefer to the diamond of the Fightstick Pro (speaking of the positioning of the a,b,x,y buttons I know my terminology may not be correct). And it looks good. It looks nice and solid and sturdy. Seems like STEAL....

Can anyone tell me whether or not this will just forever be in out-of-stock limbo? Did anyone else know about this sale? I'm going to check once or twice a day for sure, I want one of these BAD. Sure if price weren't a concern I may end up going with a Fighting Edge or the HRAP "KAI", but for $75, I could get myself 2 of those!

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Hori Ex2 is the "cheap" option for sure. It can work okay for a while, but it wears down faster than almost anything else Ive ever laid hands on. And Ive played for maybe 18 years..Its also a royal pain in the ass to modify/swap buttons, due to its construction.

As for what to upgrade to, I personally recommend
    Qanba q4
    Its what I have currently and is the best bang for your buck as far as I can see. It is factory-dualmodded straight out of the box (can be used on both x360 and ps3), has excellent quality parts, great feel, and has some cool details that all make it better. Like an actually large enough compartment for the cord..

I haven't tested the latest hori sticks or madcatz, but I suspect they are good too. I still have a madcatz tournament edition stick too, although it has worn down by now with a sloppy stick, it still works. Good stick too. Hori sticks are likely to be high quality, but probably need to be dual modded separately.

8. tehmidcap

tehmidcap Member

Well I ended up snagging a SFIV Tournament Edition (used but appears to be in really nice shape and it's returnable) for $70. Figured even if I end up replacing the buttons and joystick I'll still barely have spent what a new one is worth. I'll end up buying a new, perhaps more lavish stick at some point when I have some more money to blow. Plus I did some looking around and most of these sticks were going for over $100, even used.

9. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

I am new to the whole competitive fighting game thing, and therefore new to arcade sticks. However, I did end up buying a qanba. But, i was wondering do korean sticks make a difference in VF like they do in tekken?

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Qanba Q4 has more or less same feel to the stick as hori/madcatz TEs. Its like it has become an industry standard now or something.

11. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Korean sticks will not give you any advantage in VF because you don't have to do obnoxious repeated inputs to have good movement in VF.

12. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

That is for sure. No annoying [4][2][1][5][4][2][1] just for back dash