1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to VF - which fighter should I start with?

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by synce, Jul 22, 2007.

1. BrenBed

BrenBed Active Member

Re: Why is picking a character so hard rant

2. 124

124 Well-Known Member

Yeah!!! Almost all attacks are countered by Aoi!!!! She's cool!

Also some evade attacks in VF4 evo... like akira's

3. BrenBed

BrenBed Active Member

THANK YOU 124...finally a man who agrees with me...

And Aoi can actually counter everything..there is no striking attack in the game that she can't reverse..

Akira, Pai, and Vanessa are more limited to the attacks that they can reverse...But Aoi...it doesn't matter....no matter how you strike her...you risk being reversed and thrown to the ground.....these other guys don't understand the method to my madness...but they will soon see the power of Aoi Unleashed....

4. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Just to be precice man, Aoi CANNOT revers everything, she has the reversal but with some Specific attack, the reversal transforms into a INASHI an evading move without attack.
    For example wolf's [9] [P]+[K] cannot be reversed but she can still use the reversal's command to avoid it.

5. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Idealy Aoi can reverse strikes but it's too hard to complete in real match, such as evading opponents' strikes as well.

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal

In other words: she reverses them but the reversal doesn't do damage.

7. Fayina

Fayina Member

I didn''t have trouble choosing characters from Virtua Fighter. I look for a unique move list more than just appearance and personality.

A character that have either two appealing styles or harder to learn is what I lean to.

8. PsychoJosh

PsychoJosh Member

Want to learn VF... can I play Sarah/Vanessa?

Hi there. I'm new to Virtua Fighter and have been meaning to invest time into learning it but I never got around to it. I finally have time now but where do I start? I don't know where to begin. My goal is to eventually learn Sarah or Vanessa, I like them.

I'd like to find someone to tutor me. I'm willing to learn.

Thanks.

9. NewChallenger

NewChallenger Member

Looking for a main

First off, sorry about making a topic like this. I realize there's probably been a million of these kinds of threads before, but I would still appreciate a bit of help.

I'm looking for a character that dictates the tempo of a match. The kind that uses a wide variety of spacing and poking tools to manipulate their opponent into making a mistake.

I really, really, would appreciate a bit of guidance on this matter. Thank you to anyone who replies.

10. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Re: Looking for a main

You're right, there are a lot of threads like this. To answer your question you'll have to be more specific. The bit in bold is too generic and i'd say any character in the game could do that stuff. Do you have any other preferences in terms of character? you look for any personality or style traits? Need more to go on than dictating tempo and spacing tools.

11. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC

As Marly said, every character is capable of controlling the tempo of the match in a variety of ways.

What I would advise you to do is to play through arcade mode with each character to get a bit of a feel for each of them. Then jump into dojo or quest mode for a bit and see if they're as fun as you thought.

12. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL

Sounds like Lau. He's a good character to start with as well.

13. NewChallenger

NewChallenger Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I guess I should just spend some more time figuring out what I want to do.

14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay

Watch some VF tv vids. set it to random play and you should start to pick up an idea of what characters you like the look of. Then give them a go yourself. Good luck!!

15. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza

Right. If the input of her reversal is successful, Aoi will do a pirouette to avoid any attack she cannot reverse outright.

Good choice. I would think Lau or maybe Brad would be suitable to try out first and move forward from there.

Kruza

16. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL

I think Brad might be the hardest character in the game to play well. Definitely not a beginner's character.

17. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    Should I change my main for FS?

Ok so I know I'm not the best at VF but I wanted to ask you guys a serious thing I have considered. I've always been a Jacky player and love playing as him however I've noticed that maybe I should change to a new character.

I was thinking a character that has lots of different options from different situations, maybe a character that hits light but hits often?

Could any of you guys suggest such a character?

18. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Re: Should I change my main for FS?

Jacky looks beastly in FS, don't change!

I'm not sure what you mean by character that hits light and often. Pai, Aoi, Lau and Blaze come to mind.

19. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC

Jacky is a monster in FS. I'm probably going to main him and drop Wolf to a second. Who knows though. After I have some time messing about with FS I might find I enjoy another character more (Taka, Blaze and Lau look so fun).

I wouldn't advise pre-emptively changing your main. Jacky is a great character for beginners and it's definitely worth your while to stick with him going into FS.

20. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83

Thanks guys for the advise, I was thinking of maybe changing my play style in general, maybe going for a character that is fast and can get on top of you quickly. However seeing as Jacky is still a great character for beginners I may have to stay with him