1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to VFDC? Introduce yourself here.

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by Valtiel, May 14, 2007.

1. Valtiel

Valtiel Member

Just joined up today and i've gotta say, i look forward to the prospects this site could bring in improving my game, i'm still pretty much a noob atm having bought VF5 in march but i feel i'm getting there. My main interest is finding some beginer tournaments, but i'd imagine there aren't many of those in the UK?

2. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Where are you based? Theres a gathering on the 27th in Harrow. Not sure whos going to that though.

3. Valtiel

Valtiel Member

Yikes, can't even say i know where Harrow is. Situatted in gosport here, right down south above the isle of wight. I'm willing to travel mind, long as harrow isn't somewhere in scotland or something

4. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Im in SOuth West, in Bath, how near is that to Gosport? My geography is shite. Harrows by London by the way.

5. Valtiel

Valtiel Member

Ha, you're asking the guy who doesn't even know where Harrow is? Not certain, i think it's no more thna a few hours drive at the most though. Where can i find the details on ths meet in Harrow btw?

6. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

7. Valtiel

Valtiel Member

Tell me about it... the UK is terible for gaming, hell the playstation store is enough to go by. But then this forum can't represent the whole of the VF community, must be more players kicking about in just Bath and Gosport alone. Shame this site doesn't get more advertising, only came here due to an article in the official playstation magazine myself

8. Valtiel

Valtiel Member

That tourney does look interesting, only thing that gets me is my lack of experience (been playing since march as i say) and this seems to be a pretty big tournie. I'd get my ass handed to me i'm sure but maybe it'd still be worth giving it a shot

9. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Right well the UK people are mainly based in London, theres some in Scotland, and some in Manchester. Thats pretty much it. What did it say in that article? Was it the latest issue?

10. Valtiel

Valtiel Member

Yeah, latest issue, was a sort of "get good in a month" thing. Pretty good guide actually for covering all the basics. At the end they gave a link to this site, mainly for the explanation on frame rates

11. midnightpulp

midnightpulp New Member

Hi guys,

First got into VF about twelve years ago after seeing VF2 for the first time in Vegas. I was 14/15 and can remember saving up for months to get my hands on a Saturn just to play the home port. I loved the game since it was a more realistic fighter that focused more on timing and strategy rather than rote combos and mashing, like Tekken, etc. Not to mention the beauty of running in 60fps.

When VF3 debuted, I imported a Dreamcast just to play it, but as my friends and I grew older and as "adult" responsibilities took priority, there was less time to sit down with a friend and go at it; and with VF3's lack of a substantial one-player mode, my interest waned as the VF4 and Evolution era completely passed me by.

I want to get back into this game. I say I'm a new player because I never, ever realized how deep this game really is. Reading the posts here, I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge, the level of skill, the "game theoretical" applications - almost like poker's golden rule: "minimize losses, maximize wins" (I love the concept of guaranteed attacks) it takes to become a decent player.

I saw a thread where a new player asked where to start, so I won't rehash any questions addressed in that thread, but what I've gleaned is that the knowledge of "frame data" is the fundamental thing to learn before building your game.

One thing I'm not clear on is the process of executing when you have the advantage. I understand if you have +3 adv. you can perform a "guaranteed" attack of up to 15 frames, but when does the command have to be inputed for the attack to be guaranteed?

It seems reacting in 1/20 of a second is impossible for a human being, especially after your brain processes what move your opponent performed, the no. of frames you have, and then to respond with a specific move that will land. All of this within that time frame. The cognition is mind-blowing.

I know it's possible, but I'm wondering how?

So basically my question is: How do you effectively execute when you have an advantage?

Thanks in advance. And I look forward to being involved in this community.

12. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Execute what?

If I'm guessing correctly...
    Usually you want to buffer the next command just before you are out of hit/guard stun (basically just a split second before you can freely move again), if you want to take full advantage of advantage.

If you are talking about move choices... then it's a matter of being familiar with the game, and react relatively quickly (definitely not instantly) with a half planned half guessed reaction.

Alot of people look at Japanese level videos and see some cool sequence of events and believes that they have really good reaction. While this may be true for a very very very small percentage of the player base in Japan... it's mostly a result of experience and overall knowledge.

Basically, just like any fighting game, you simply have to read/breath/live the game, then seek out the best competition you can find, and slowly fine tune your game until you can win consistently.

It's a big case of trial and error unless you have a good source of knowledge where you can learn from other's experiences.

13. midnightpulp

midnightpulp New Member

Thanks. That explains a lot. Now I know what the term "buffering" means. That helps a lot.

It seems an effective counter-attack relies a lot on anticipation. For example, you're playing against Lau, and he's conditioned you to block by using the PPPK move, but the next time, he changes it up and throws only two punches, which you block, but since you're anticipating two more moves, you hold block for a few more frames and miss the counter-attack opportunity. Is this where the "guessing game" comes in?

Also, I'm going to pick up EVO because of its comprehensive training mode, before moving on to VF5.

14. Pai_Garu

You should stop thinking that you can always do the "perfect counter."

Instead of always trying to defend perfectly, take the initiative to interrupt Lau before he can even begin to apply the guessing game.

Once you get into the habit of lp'ing him out of PPP strings, he will switch it up with things like P->elbow or P->LP. Once he starts doing that, you don't really have to guess anymore.

Remember the game is played by two people, the other guy is trying to outguess you too.

15. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if you;re starting out it would be best to just stick to learning your character's moves and what are the best options in different situations. If you start by looking at frames and stuff its gonna bore the shit out of you. Being able to do consistent max damage combos and things like that is a much better place to start.

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Welcome back to VF, midnightpulp /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My personal recommendations for someone who has just started committing themselves to learning VF:

1) Mess around with the movelist, get a sense of your character's arsenal.

2) Get very comfortable with the basic attacks: P(G), elbow, low punch, sidekick, all of your character's throws, sweep if your character has any. These basic attacks are likely to give you the most mileage out of any character. When you throw, use the most damaging throw (as long as it's easy for you to use).

3) For a little while, use PK (and any added options out of this your character might have) whenever you block a "big attack." This is your first step towards building a habit of guaranteed attacks. In time, you'll learn the best options, but keep it simple at first and go with PK. You'll eventually maximize those guaranteed opportunities.

4) Learn the easy to do, but high damage combos with your character. This will teach you to maximize your damage better, and you'll be wanting to learn how to setup these combos in battle (it isn't easy).

5) Remember that failure implies that you should defend, success implies that you should attack. It's not always true, but in most cases it is. If you fail to attack or defend, you should then defend. If you succeed in attacking or defending, you should then attack. And don't forget that while defend does imply blocking, it also includes creating space as well as other options.

Again, just my personal recommendation, but I believe that with the above, you will build a decent foundation. And of course, you will build further upon that too.

I wouldn't worry too much about frame data yet. Frames are nice, I'm certainly hooked on them, but in the end they are just a tool to help us interpret what happens in VF. They're a sort of language for theoretical talk of VF, but the context is of frame data is limited. Framedata implies a lot of things and generally does not account for distance, walls, and other factors.

By all means, get to understand what the framedata means and how it should be interpretted, but experience with the game and practice are the biggest factors in improving your VF.

Just keep in mind that there are a lot of amazing players (in Japan) who don't know the frame data much, but they have great experience, execution, adaptability, and "feel" on their side.

Hope to see you around at a gathering or tournament or so ^_^ Again, welcome back to VF.

-Chanchai

17. Garbage

Garbage Well-Known Member

Good post.

One of the things I think makes this game so deep/great is the paradox that in the hands of a bad player a characters best option is his worst.

18. Pai_Garu

I don't think it's a good idea to play the game as if there is some kind of "best option"

This mindset is one of the reasons why progress is slow for western VF players.

You should try to figure out what the opponent might be doing, and do the thing that you believe will be able to beat it. In many cases, it's not your best option, but correct guesses that will win you matches.

19. Natsuki

Natsuki Member

After a few months I got Vf4 evo today and this really feels like the best fighting game ever. Can you guys tell me if VF5 is as good or better then Vf4 evo?

Unlike doa4, tekken5, and soul calibur 3 this game is insanely solid. Lol, I really wish I bought this game years ago.

20. 420Gamer4Life

420Gamer4Life Well-Known Member

looks wise its better. the gameplay has been tweaked a little but now VF5 looks like it plays. VF has always played like a next gen fighter compared to other fighting franchises imo.

now with VF5 it has the looks to match. wait for the xbox 360 version though because it will have online play and it will hopefully be based on the updated version C.