1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New VF4 clip uploaded.

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Akora, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Akora

Akora Active Member

2. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Thank you Akora. Execellent, another Sarah movie!

Adio.

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Thanks, Akora. I'll try to get this mirrored ASAP.

[​IMG]

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

These movies are great!!

Wolf clip: Is it just me, or does Wolf look and play like a wrestler a lot more than he did in 3? The sidekick hit-throw seems really easy to connect, and f,d+K -> stomp looks very strong. I can't help noticing how when a low rising kick was blocked the defender couldn't retaliate with a low throw.

Akira vs Sarah: Damn! Sarah looks like Hwoarang! If you're trying to get your Tekken buddy to convert, and if he plays Hwoarang, definitely point Sarah out.

Overall, I'm very pleased with what the clips are showing. Characters are playing/looking much more different than in 3 and in the intial VF4 clips. The new moves are being used more and more...yeah OK, so that's obvious, but still, it's a relief to note that VF4 brings something new to the table.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Another impressive clip from the Kanispo tourney!

- If Akira had gone for the DLC instead of the DJK in the final round, he could have won :( *sigh*
    - b+P+K+G, f+P into DJK is nice.
    - I didn't know Akira could b,df+P over a downed opponent. Interesting...
    - At the end of Round 4, after Akira df+P+G's Sarah, Akira does b,df+P followed by what looks like P+K+G, but I'm not sure what that is... it almost looks like it's the 2nd move of a sequence (although I doubt it is). Can anyone verify?

Re: Ice-9. Yeah, the f+K+G, P+G apparently is much easier to connect in ver.B than in VF4test and ver.A. And yep, the blocked low rising attack, AFAIK, cannot be punished (although a whiffed low rising attack can). Apart from exceptions like Akira's low sliding attack.

[​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It seems to be d/f+p+k+g, p
    similar to what he did in the beginning of round 1, d/f+p+g -> d/f+p+k+g

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Oh, is that what it is? df+P+K+G, P? Ah... the df+P+K+G looks awfully similar to b,df+P. Thanks for the info! :)

[​IMG]

8. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Im Just amazed by this game. It's so beautiful. Wolf has a blatant "Stone Cold Stunner" combo and Sarah is a Kicking Fiend! lol. I felt that the Akira player should have won that game though due to his better control. The Sarah player was sloppy IMO, relying heavily on the Flamingo and not using any of Sarah's bigger kicks (Crescent, Heel Seed, Full Spin Dive etc) or he "one two pokes" (Punch Side Kick, Elbow Chop) to keep his/her distance Though, I just can't get over how good Sarah looks with these new moves. At point blank range Akira had the advantage. The SPOD is much weaker compared to the Test version. It only did around 50% compared to 70-80% of the test version, what a relief lol.

Adio.

9. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Yeah I was kinda shocked at seeing Akira go over the grounded opponent...probably because I've been playing some DOA2 lately and the opportunities for such a manuever (as well as ura) in that game are pretty much nonexistant...at least to my knowledge.

Sarah seems to be almost a new character now with all her stance possibilities....I like how with all the new stances in the game, the opportunities for mind games and settling into a rhythm for confusing the opponent are greatly increased.

10. Akora

Akora Active Member

Yeah, the mind game with Sarah's flam. will be really interesting. Her fake-kick motion at flam. looks like some Jacky Chan movie. Soooo stylish..... and her f/d+P,K (maybe called 'setup combination' or something?) look so fast and useful.
    Yeah..probably I will change my main char. to Sarah.

11. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Aha! Welcome to the fold brother!

Adio.

12. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Yes, Sarah's new stance has become a key technique in the fights I've seen so far. She can move so quickly to and from the Flamingo, all the key moves are covered. She can dodge in and out, backflip, has a sweep, can Moonsualt and from the look of things her Flamingo Kickflip is faster than the regular version one (the Test version is my reference). For me, I feel VF4 is the return of the VF2 "Psycho Sarah", in VF2 she was a very aggressive character with her speed and priority at such a high level you could really rip people apart. VF3 took this away from her with all that miss and block animation, she became a poker to me despite her new Heel Seed Kick and Overhead Edge Kick combo (which has been taken out in VF4 unfortunately). I think the Flamingo has given Sarah back this power. I guess that's the reason why AM2 weakened her Knee and Elbow-Knee floats. Still, I hope people won't rely on the Flamingo and will still use her quick pokes and unique high priority kicks to win.

Adio.

13. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

At point blank range Akira had the advantage. The SPOD is much weaker compared to the Test version. It only did around 50% compared to 70-80% of the test version, what a relief lol.

It looked more like 40%, about the same as VF3tb. I could be wrong.
    In my opinion, Akira doesn't look that strong. I thought that the latest version of VF4 would make Akira really brutal. So far, it looks like every round he wins is a close, down-to-the-wire match, and every round he loses he loses really bad. Maybe people are still trying to figure him out.
    In the Sarah vs. Akira clip, he seems to have the better control of the two characters. But in order for the Akira player to win this time around, he'd have to have excellent control. One slip up, and he's dead. The pull-in throw, ST, and DLC still look very watered down in relation to VF3tb, even though this is the final version. And what about reversals? One (maybe two) a round couldn't hurt!
    Overall, I really like what I'm seeing in the past few clips, and I really liked the Wolf match-up. And it seems that Akira is getting better from clip to clip (he looked very weak in the Aoi vs. Akira clip). I dunno, maybe I was expecting to see Akira dominate the way Pai and Shun have. But I still like what I'm seeing so far.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Akira is still a monster in VF4. But apparently in the new revision his super dashing elbow is watered down (throw counterable).

Anyway don't assume he's weak because a few retards lose with him. In the akira vs. Sarah clip the akira player threw out a full DLC while the opponent was *standing* (as opposed to floating). No matter what else he might have done that was good or bad, this to me screams amateur/spaz. This guy had the dexterity to do the spod, but he was just kinda sticking moves out there to see if they would hit. His minor counters were at least intelligent, e.g. using a standing palm as a safe, easy and damaging way to dash in and counter a missed pounce. Other than that the akira player wasn't that competent. He blew one big float I recall by throwing a punch too early. In another I remember two punches then a whiffed followup. A big part of VF is not just throwing out the same float combo followup automatically every time (which most akira players have failed to learn because of the DLC). You need specific combos for each situation, combos that you know will connect for small floats vs. medium floats vs. high floats. I remember watching tapes of gameplay for VF3 where two japanese players were going at it, akira vs. Jacky. The akira player was very smart about his combos, using a DLC when the float was sufficient and a simple sidekick when the opponent was too far or low kick when the opponent was too low. He got as much damage as he could out of each float.

Anyway, back to the point. The akira player was a retard. He still did try one reversal at least (the animation is funky now but I think it was a reversal, where he crosses both arms and sharply swings one up while the other moves down.. looked just like a tekken reversal). Reversing against sarah is hard because she has a zillion attacks that hit mid but are reversed high while the other attacks hit mid and are reversed mid.

Also re: the pull in throw, I don't think the akira used the new canned followup that gets you close behind the opponent. That apparently leads to a pretty reliable bodycheck followup for good damage.
    SPoD being 40% is fair enough. DLC shouldn't be a lot of damage because it's a canned combo, can hit pretty low to the ground, and isn't that hard to do. The game should reward creativity, not canned combos. And akira can probably still do guard break, SJK, deep bodycheck or ST, SJK, deep bodycheck for close to 50% life. Then there's DE, deep bodycheck for 40%. And insane 100 pt combos off of the shrm.

Yeah, akira's still a bastard.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

15. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Anyway don't assume he's weak because a few retards lose with him.

Yeah, you make a good point. Several, in fact.
    It's like people are still trying to figure out how to play him effectively.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

16. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    In the akira vs. Sarah clip the akira player threw out a full DLC while the opponent was *standing* (as opposed to floating). No matter what else he might have done that was good or bad, this to me screams amateur/spaz.

He did standing DLC to try to ring the bitch out or push her as close to the edge as possible. I use that shiyat frequently in vf3tb - it works wonders (cause peeps get too nervous and freeze when they see DLC out of nowhere). He did however miscalculate the distance, which happens to me once in a while as well. It is worth taking the risk, especially in vf4 cause of the short recovery times...

I assure you he was not spazzing, at least in that particular instance, my nigga...

[​IMG]

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

But apparently in the new revision his super dashing elbow is watered down (throw counterable).

Yep :(

He still did try one reversal at least (the animation is funky now but I think it was a reversal, where he crosses both arms and sharply swings one up while the other moves down.. looked just like a tekken reversal).

b+P+K+G, f+P inashi to canned single palm, leads to kuzure down animation (knockdown stagger).

Also re: the pull in throw, I don't think the akira used the new canned followup that gets you close behind the opponent. That apparently leads to a pretty reliable bodycheck followup for good damage.

AFAIK, PIT SE RBC (f,b+P+G, d/u, P+K) is blockable if you're fast enough. But from ver.B, IIRC, they increased the stun time if you get hit by the canned RBC so it's easier to follow up with the SDE. Same thing with the standard b,df+P+G RBC, you get more stun time to follow up.

PIT SE ~ bodycheck (f,b+P+G, d/u ~ b,f,f+P+K) is not guaranteed, although it's a little difficult to get out of.

And akira can probably still do guard break, SJK, deep bodycheck or ST, SJK, deep bodycheck for close to 50% life.

Nope.

And insane 100 pt combos off of the shrm.

Around 90-95pts for some nice combos like shoulder ram ~ P ~ shoulder ram ~ double palm, or shoulder ram ~ P ~ d+P ~ shoulder ram ~ bodycheck. But yeah, it seems that the DLC as a canned followup isn't as damaging as the custom float combos now.

The 100pt combos seem to start from the QCB+P move now, or if the opponent doesn't QR/TR.

[​IMG]

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think he miscalculated pretty bad, sarah had another DLC of room to go before getting RO'd. He also backdashed before trying it, and she would have died with one more hit anyway... he's lucky he chose correctly on the throw escape, that showed brains anyway. Part of my opinion also came from the fact that, being as sarah had hit him three times during his attempts to low punch her last chunk of life away, I would think he'd quit low punching, but instead he low punched one more time and killed her (end of round 2 I think). Also he tried the overhead punch as oki, except of course it isn't, the opponent didn't get up the wrong way and wasn't confused. Dude's just trying stuff that looks advanced.

Anyway it was one of the better clips, worth DLing. My argument is just that akira will not be a rape victim in VF4.
    And what the hell IS with that stuff he does at the end of round 4? Looks like the overhead hammer into a stun palm. Wouldn't that just be cute, hammer into a free spod? But that's a nasty rumor and is not going to pan out, so don't anyone propogate it. And stuff.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

This is a general reply to the thread:

The Akira had his controls down (SPOD after blocking Sarah's illusion kicks...nice), but I didn't think the Sarah player was lacking in that department either. The Sarah clearly knew what she was doing, and I thought her flow was excellent. There were two backflips, but I assume that was to cancel out of her flamingo or an attempt at her 270 throw. Did you catch her dodging Akira's sidekick for an immediate b P G throw? Doesn't sound special, until you note how quickly the throw was executed. If the Sarah player threw on sight, damn, the player has mad reflexes.

As for the Akira player being a retard...I totally disagree. In fact I thought the Akira player was pretty good. Not awe-inspiring, but good.

DLC R.O. - I'm with Adam on this one. The purpose was to clearly ring out, and it's a little dark, but from what I can see, the Sarah player was pushed pretty close to the edge of the ring. In fact, I think if the entire DLC was blocked (the d/f K G whiffed) the Sarah player might have gone over the edge, or at least, so close the Sarah player would be forced to escape or attempt a b,f P G throw, which could get her R.O.ed anyway.

Air Combos - There were two floats if I remember right that the Akira player fudged. One was the P -> DJK that Feixaq pointed out earlier, which may have missed due to stance requirement, I don't know. The other was SR -> P -> DE, with the P and DE whiffing. But I think this was mainly because the float was weird. Either way, I don't think they are cause enough to call the guy a retard. I've seen plenty missed combos from players around here, myself included.

Failed Ura - It might have worked, had the Sarah player gotten up with a rising kick immediately (in the two attempts the Sarah player did not rise with a kick at all and delayed the second time). I don't know--I haven't played a complete version yet. Creed, maybe you have and would know better.

PIT -> DE - I'm guessing the guy went for the DE out of habit from 3tb. I can't blame him for that.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Did any of you notice the striking similarity between VF4 Sarah's select screen CG appearance and the character of Kira, the female gelfling from the Jim Henson film The Dark Crystal? <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3108/darkcrystal.html>http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3108/darkcrystal.html</A>