1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie To VF4...Goh User As Well...HELP!

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Raz, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Well...I've had the game for about a week now. Been playing normal mode with Goh and have an 81.5 % win rate with 128/29 I believe. 5th Dan...

Anyways...just recently I've been fighting tougher opponents in the 9th Dan+ range....and they've been slaughtering me. I mean...I literally went in the training mode for 2 1/2 hours today and came out...only to still be slaughtered with no advantage...

And the horrible thing is too...that while changing my tactics to combat these new foes (from my original beat down tactics), I've become less of a button masher (not really a masher, because I know the moves)....and now I'm starting to have trouble fighting little Kyus.

It's pathetic. I literally reset my game because a 3rd Kyu was owning me.

I don't understand what's going on.

I'm having particular trouble with much faster characters. I tend to be the target of floating and get horrible beat downs by the likes of Lau, Sarah, and Aoi...sometimes Jacky.

I Evade...but they tend to catch me before I can do anything and beat me down some more.

I went through recovery training...to improve my pop up skills...but it doesn't help because I'm usually dead before I hit the ground.

Please...help. I think I just don't know how to fight with Goh anymore...I understand the emphasis on him is for throwing and breaking...but I can never get in the position to do that. I throw maybe one throw move in one fight...it's so difficult.

Thanks in advance for any help /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Raz

2. Graven

Graven New Member

Well, my suggestion would be to watch the match vids in the replay section of the experts to pick up some new stuff to do. Or check out some FAQs on goh on this site, im new here to but im pretty sure there are some.

3. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Goh's not a good starting character when learning the game.
    Whine mode of now.

Go(h) and do the basic exercises, specially the one where you learn to react on guaranteed throws for the different characters in the game and learn to use your sabakis. Learn what your best / fastest punisher is in the different situations, a good chart is here http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_counter_tables.php

Go(h)od luck. Now I'm of to hit myself with a plastic bat for the corny references /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Gah, why does nobody ever give good advice (i.e. advice that exactly matches mine) =)

Read my goh guide. Click home --> goh (on the left with all the other names) --> then scroll down a bit and you'll see it under 'documents'.

Also, I think goh is fine as a learner character. He's pretty easy to use, isn't as slow as a typical wrestler, and has all the standard VF moves (knee, elbow, normal low punch, no funky stances to worry about). His combos are also very easy and you can do a lot a lot of damage with a few simple guesses.

Anyway, good luck with him. I hope you like the guide.

5. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

i dont get how you guys are at these ranks with such little amount of matches! i'm only 4th Dan right now but i have well over that amount of matches, do you play VS. at all!?

6. Raz

Raz Member

I haven't played Vs. yet...nopes...

-Raz

7. Cloud

Cloud Active Member

I've been playing with Goh since I got the game a week ago (haven't touch anyone else). I got up to slayer with a record of about 600 and 150. (I've been sick with posion ivy and had nothing else to do). A couple of things i do to win matches is this - keep moving - when the game gets harder, Goh seems to have a hard time mounting an offense. By walking circles around the computer and back dashin, you can clip energy of with [K] and catch an incomin move with the [4][6][K] and then get a ground throw.
    The two kicks is my most used moves, Goh is a very good turtle and I use a lot of throws when the computer gets real close. the [4][6][K] is nice when the computer tries a rising attack because its reach is greater. Once I started recognizing attacks, I was able to be more fancy and hit the computer with the [3][K][G] throw when they went for high kicks and jabs.

At first, I would stand there and turtle, but when I kept moving around, I started beating champion players - Maybe thats all you need.
    P.S. any expert Goh players have advise when fightin Lion and Kage - they are the two hardest char for me.

8. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member