1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo to acquire SEGA

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hayai_JiJi, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

There is a report that says Nintendo is in talks to purchase SEGA for 2 billion dollars. If anyone is interested the news article is on the news section for 12\28 at www.dailyradar.com. This sounds like hogwash to me but I think it might be cool considering I am not so sure you do VF-X on the dreamcast and could probally do it on the Gamecube. This would make the Gamecube the best system ever Mario and Sonic, Samus and Samba, VF and Pokemon just as long as Nintendo lets SEGA do things its way and does not fire any top talent it would make me and every gamer very happy. It would also breath new life into the now stagnant Nintendo which is surviving on Pokemon,Miyamoto, and Rare.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

nope

here's a CNN article that followed the original burst of misinformation.

GE

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo said Wednesday there was no chance the Japanese video game maker would buy rival Sega Corp., denying a report of talks over a $2 billion deal.

"There is absolutely no chance that Nintendo will buy Sega," Nintendo Co Ltd President Hiroshi Yamauchi said in a statement.

Earlier, officials at both Nintendo and Sega denied a report in the New York Times that said talks had been going on for months and the terms of a deal were still being negotiated. The report cited executives close to the negotiations

Sega shares jumped on the news by their ¥100 limit or 10.48 percent to ¥1,054, before the Tokyo Stock Exchange suspended trading about 30 minutes before the market closed.

Nintendo, the world's second largest home video game maker, fell ¥750 or 4.12 percent to close at ¥17,450 as investors dumped shares on concerns that the possible takeover of the loss-making Sega would mean a heavy burden for Nintendo.

The paper, in its Wednesday edition, also said Sega Chairman Isao Okawa has been looking to sell the company for some time and has also talked to U.S. software firm Microsoft Corp. (MSFT: Research, Estimates) about a deal.

"The report is absolutely groundless. We are not talking with Nintendo or anyone on such a deal," a Sega spokeswoman said.

Sega, the world's third-largest home video game maker, has been struggling to stay afloat amid increasing competition in the game industry, fuelled by aggressive sales promotions by industry leader Sony Corp., maker of the popular PlayStation game consoles.

In October, Sega warned investors that it expected a consolidated net loss in the current business year, a fourth straight year of red ink.

The Tokyo-based company has also unveiled a new business strategy that includes plans to provide game software for rival makers' consoles, a sign that it is shifting its focus to software from loss-making hardware

3. Hayai_JiJi

Re: nope

Well thank you GE for making me out to be a moron.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

not at all. in fact, the first reports were quite
    authentic sounding. It almost makes sense. Daily
    Radar and C-net both reported the same thing and
    caused quite a stir. It makes sense to pass the
    information on. I just happened to be privy to
    more information than you originally had.

GE

5. Hayai_JiJi

O.K thats tthe quickest I have had anyone ever reply to a post. I also was kidding I appreiciate the info(I AM THE WORLDS WORST SPELLER)although I was excited about Nintendo and SEGA's games all on one machine.

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Seriously....

To say Nintendo is surviving on stagnant products such a pokemon, Miyamoto n Rare is REALLY insulting.

To call Nintendo stagnant is just the same as saying Sega is stagnant.

Then again, me n U are in the same boat...I'll also like to see the two innovative companies work together.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Faster Than Lighting! '<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 12/29/00 09:21 AM.</FONT></P>

7. Hayai_JiJi

Well then I guess the truth is insulting Summers, name any great new franchises Nintendo has come up with in the last two years not counting Pokemon or anything Rare has done.

8. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Look!
    Nintendo is just as innovative as Sega
    IF NOT, EVEN MORE.

Dun ask me to name u franchise.
    In return, let me ask u to name any new fanchise to come out of Sega barring games made by the AM teams. It's pointless!!!!!!!!!

Instead of focusing on franchise n stuff, focus on NEW GAMES that could come outta this deal!

By the way, I DO NOT believe this buy out thing will happen.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Faster Than Lighting! '

9. Hayai_JiJi

O.K. now do not get me wrong I love Nintendo games just not their recent product I mean every game is a 3-D platformer and sure if you want to stack up all of Nintendo's achievements past or presesnt then Nintendo is as innovative as anybody out their helll I still play Mike Tysons Punchout and Kid Icarus but if you look at their current system the Dreamcast already has more great games than tne 64 has had in its entire lifespan hell the only reasons to own a 64 are Mario 64, Both Zelda games, Goldeneye, perhaps Perfect Dark Wave Race64 and do not get me started on their complete lack of any decent fighting games.
    As for SEGA they have an insane amount of new franchises espiecally considering third party support has all but died off except for Capcom who has always done well by SEGA I cant remember all the games by an AM team so if I name one be free to disqualify it. O.K. here we go Jet Grind Radio, Skies Of Arcadia, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazi Taxi, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, NFL 2K1, NBA 2K1, Seaman, and many others I can not think of. In your post you seemed quite pissed so let me say I am not attacking you pesonally I just like debating video games.

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Was I pissed at u???

nahhhhh

Not because of what u say abt Nintendo. Heck, I've heard worse (kids games, N sucks because it's not Sony, N wished it developed PS blah blah blah)

It's strange U asked me not to state pokemon , miyamoto n Rare.

No matter how u look at it, Everytime a game comes out from miyamoto, rare...there's new innovation in it!...By asking me to exclude them, it's like me asking u not to mentioned any games done by AM departments. Without the AM departments, just how good is Sega?

It's still kicks ass...but heck, not as great!

Plus...I cannot be PISSED at you...because I don't know u!!!
    For the love of god, I cannot justify how I can be pissed at a person whom
    a) I don't know
    b)differ opinions (which is cool, otherwise the world would be a boring place)
    c)offering to dicuss with me, not flame me

Sorry if my posts made u felt that way.

Must be because of the 'LOOK' intro.
    oops /images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Faster Than Lighting! '<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 12/29/00 10:56 AM.</FONT></P>

11. Hayai_JiJi

O.K. cool so you are not pissed I guess I am justused to everyone on any message board getting their panties in a wad over any little thing. Now even if you include Pokemon(which are only good on the gameboy and that puzzle league) and Miyamoto though although a genius has only brought out three games in the 64's lifespan and Rare you still only have like 12 games is that realy enough to warrant a system.

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

obviously, I did not buy the n64 simply for miyamoto n Rare games.
    Even if so, both companies makes games that's good enuff to warrant a purchase of the grey box.

Let me go dig up mah games n see which companies I like.
    Bear in mind, I follow companies, not games...
    For some GREAT reasons, I stopped liking Square hehehehehehehe

13. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

'....i follow companies, not games'

er, why??

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

BTW, how was Treasure's "Bangaioh" on the N64? A non-Nintendo, non-Rare game.

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

It's just a habit of mine.

It's like following a band, as soon as ur fav band release an album, u'll pick it up, not even needing to consider( that's what I do)
    Games from , Boss, looking glass(sadly, gone), Rare, Nintendo, AM departments, Enix, Genki (yes, I actually like em') etc.

Heck, when no one has paid attention, I actually think Napple Tale is the sleeper hit for 2000!!!

I HAVE TO GO OUT NOW.
    BE back later to continue this!

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

THANK YOU CHANCAI!

Exactly what I was referring to.

There's so much Japanese games I got n loved n so much western countries missed out.