1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

No More VF4 at SVGL, CA

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by akiralove, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: VF4 Is Still at Sunnyvale Golfland

Throws were never guaranteed. I consider guarantee anything you cant get out of like ppp after you block a high rising attack with most characters. Since throws can be escaped its not really guaranteed and now with the catch throw system I can see the throw coming after lions elbow poke, I have to guess which throw escape to input.

CrewNYC

2. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

I don't know if you can see the throw coming in the case Jason was talking about (throwing Lion the moment his poke is blocked). When certain moves are blocked, are throws "instantaneous", or can one see the throw coming? Jason, can you please clarify?

[​IMG]

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

i'd just like to point out that in terms of mC'ing throwing, i.e. blocking a move and then throwing, throws have have always needed time to come out. not visual time, but advantage time - throws are instaneous normally in vf1/2/3, but not if you've just blocked something. there are restrictions - after blocking something, you needed to have 10 frames of advantage over an opponent to mC throw in vf2, and 8 frames in vf3. if they didn't have these limits then you could have just mC'ed everything (everything, even punches) with throws.

in vf4, i'm assuming, although you may see the throw coming out, if the throw's execution time is less or equal to than your advantage time over the opponent, there's nothing your opponent can do. so here's a totally, completely hypothetical situation in vf4: you block a knee. you have 10 frames of advantage over your opponent. you throw. your throw is 9 frames in execution time. you get the throw - opponent can do nothing but try to escape.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

yeah, that's some nifty logic you've got going there.

throws are guaranteed, in situations where you have enough advantage blah blah blah etc etc etc. and of course, you do actually have to land the throw in the first place for it to be escaped, and the possibility of it being escaped is there - but not guaranteed.

5. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Rich's analysis is correct.

Supposing you're Akira against Jeffrey. You just block Jeffrey's knee, and you quickly put in d/f+pg to throw him, just like in VF3. You will see your arms go out to execute the throw, but since Jeff is still in recovery, there's nothing he can do about it, except throw escape.

It seems like the throw execution animation is faster here - it seems to come out as fast as a p. So even if the Jeffrey has insane reflexes, it's not like he can watch for Akira's arms to determine whether Akira's going to throw or attack, and then decide to TE or guard or whatnot. Just way too fast.

-Jason

6. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

i'd just like to point out that in terms of mC'ing throwing, i.e. blocking a move and then throwing, throws have have always needed time to come out

Right. I new that, but i meant in guaranteed situations (10 frame advantage) - sorry if i did not make myself clear. I suspected as much - not much one can do except guess the correct throw escape (same as vf3 situation, which is cool). Thanks for the clarification Bungle and Jason.

[​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I dunno, about that I think if you see a throw animation alot over time, you will be ablt to tell what type of attack it is, wether a p or a throw. I think it makes the game a bit simpler.

CrewNYC

8. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

Andy, if the move that is blocked has enough recovery time, the opponent's throw is guaranteed no matter what! So even if you see the opponents hands outstretch, there's nothing one can do but throw escape - u can't move (like Jason just said). This is exactly like vf3. I don't know what you mean by saying that it is simpler now. Can u perhaps clarify what u trying to say, my nigga?

[​IMG]

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, throws are about the same (generally speaking). Distance probably has effect on how fast a throw will happen, but in the normal situations of ages old, it's much the same.

As Jason pointed out, after blocking certain attacks, you get a throw that's pretty much guaranteed to connect.

Despite the animation, throws from up close are pretty close to instant. Some throws like the Giant Swing seem to have been changed to catch throws, but most throws are not like those. I am guessing a hands out animation is just there to signal you to do a throw escape, but from what I can tell, you're probably already too late if you do your throw escape based on that animation (it is fairly fast).

-Chanchai

10. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Re: Lion's Inashi

Lion's inashi is QCB + p (or pk?). Haven't played around with it too much, but I believe another p is canned into it

-Jason