1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

No VF for xbox?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, May 27, 2002.

1. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Re: No VF4E for Xbox May Be No Problem for Xbox...

<font color="lightblue">Fascinating...</font color>

Click this link for Magicbox.com Japan Report on 2002 Console Sales.

<font color="white">"Playstation 2
    May 27 - June 2 Sales: 56,772
    Total Sales in 2002: 1,875,385

GameCube
    May 27 - June 2 Sales: 4,118
    Total Sales in 2002: 441,087

PSOne
    May 27 - June 2 Sales: 3,729
    Total Sales in 2002: 137,983

Xbox
    May 27 - June 2 Sales: 5,912
    Total Sales in 2002: 222,601"</font color>

<font color="lightblue">PS2 outselling Xbox 9 to 1 and GameCube losing it at 13 to 1 in the Land of the Rising Sun. Even PSOne is on near equal footing with Xbox and GameCube and it has seen Dreamcast and Nintendo64 put to rest... When does the honeymoon period with the consoles end? When do the sales figures start to be taken seriously? The window of opportunity is open now, Xbox! When will you strike and what will be your weapons... You do know that the Japanese are already scoffing at you, Xbox. Doesn't that make you mad?...</font color>

2. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Not half as fascinating as youre fascination with sales data .

3. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">Do you think we'd get anywhere if we just discussed feelings without the data here? Let me try that for a while...</font color>

<font color="teal">I feel that Xbox is going to be put in the vitual grave pretty soon. From now until Christmas is when Xbox and GameCube need to come out with their best stuff. This is important because if they don't, we will have wasted all that money and all that space when it could have been used for something that was going to last. Then we will have paperweights and I have no use for paperweights most of the time. That's how I feel...</font color>

<font color="lightblue">I suppose getting in touch with your inner being is cool but that was empty for me. And a waste... I often like to say:</font color>

<font color="lime">Deal with what is real not with what is not...</font color>

<font color="lightblue">Then numbers are real. Discussing data is real. What the data means to any of us... That's art... And I can dig it or dis it as it comes...

Glad you were able to attend E3. Did you go to any neat restaurants, visit any of the amusement parks or do anything other fun thing? Or do you travel to LA often?</font color>

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I never said that GC was selling through the roof. I said that like the N64, the GAMES (considering the amount of hardware the sell) sell quite well. You don't hear about Nintendo losing money hand over fist like Sega did with the DC.

5. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

I go each year, I kinda know my way around by now, why ?

6. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">Well, if you know your way around, I probably couldn't point you in too many directions that you don't know about. I don't know if you have any diet restrictions or if you think you're too old for certain things; I was just going to make some eatery and hangout suggestions. Then again, these might be too far from where you're staying when you get here... LA is big y'know...</font color>

7. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, the greater LA area aproaches the size of the country I live in /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">Cool. PM me before you get into town and I'll give you a native's list of things to do and places to hang out at. Definitely better than wasting your money and time where the action is in the toilet...</font color>

9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Hahaha, wont be visiting again till may next year but sounds like a plan .

10. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Sniff......You two finally got along. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Just one thing to consider..MS has over <font color="red"> </font color> 2 BILLION DOLLARS <font color="black"> </font color> that it is throwing at marketing just xbox live alone. That is not counting the regular money that they will spend in the 4th quater. MS can, I believe, just force itself down everyone's throats just like it has done with all its other products (MS word, excel, CE - which is in all the PDA's save palm, flight simulator, mechwarrior...)

12. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">I haven't found an article to back that up (a little help, please). But I did find articles showing $2 billion to be spent by MS for marketing over a 5 year marketing period. That might sound impressive for most of us and it is on the mortal scale. But MS, Sony and even Nintendo are not mere mortals in these lofty climbs. And MS isn't the only company that can roll that kind of bank...</font color>

Click this link to see how all companies combined to spend over $1 billion in Marketing for just Fall 2001.

<font color="lightblue">Summary:
    MS Marketing cost: $500 million
    Sony Marketing cost: $250 million
    Nintendo Marketing cost: $500 million

They all know what is at stake and what it takes to win. MS may have more money than everyone else and it's probably a given as long as they are in the biz. But throwing money at it is not going to get it all done. Unless people buy and adhere, that's wasted money. MS can't afford to lose money every year in this thing and their weekly sales have been in steady decline since Gates' visit to Japan in February. Anyone can assert that MS will throw money at this all day long but those figures for marketing costs are more indiciative of a company trying to make money rather force a takeover...</font color>

Click this link for the projected worth of the video game market for 2002 and more marketing stats.

Click this link for another projection on worth of the video game market for 2002.

<font color="lightblue">The Market take for this year is poised for $7.5 - 8.3 billion this year in the US alone. Globally, it can be worth over $20 billion this year. The first article above indicates that Sony now has 9.8 million units in users hands world wide. It looks more like MS is trying to achieve a three or four equal part split (just a guess here). If they can get that, I think they can claim a battle or two in this war...

Of course, if they really do have all that money to spend, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy all these companies and make them produce for Xbox and not for Sony and Nintendo? Makes sense to me but who am I...</font color>

BTW, MS has $36 billion at its disposal; Business Week confirms that on this link.

13. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Since you wanna research shit, go look up IE, first several years, what about office, which was flat out laughed at when it was first released, or what about Windows CE which took YEARS of dogged stubborness to reach the marker lead today. All you facts mean diddly, MS will throw enough money at this that the NEXT machine they produce will have a big impact. THey PLANNED not throw a shitload of money everywhere and NOT make any money until 2005.

Realy this topic is a moot point, you can say Xbox is dead till your blu ein the face, MS is not going anywhere.

14. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Click here for our other conversation on the General Thread.

<font color="lightblue">In case you haven't noticed, our discussion has spanned over two threads. Almaci and Shadowdean and I just having an honest discussion. Also in case you didn't notice from the linked thread, I own an Xbox and I do want to see it succeed. Just clue-ing you in. Go ahead and bring out the torch if it makes you happy; I'll just ignore you and carry on with this conversation if anyone else is willing to discuss this openly and honestly. Facts are necessary to discuss this in that manner. If openness, honesty and a factual discussion are not your forté, may God bless you. Hope you find your happiness somewhere...

BTW, I'm glad MS isn't going anywhere. They help me make money and I use their stuff everyday...

Getting back OT, Sega wastes a lot of time and effort if they make this project for Xbox only. With 2 million owners, the last stat I have on DOA3 had 1 million of them owning it. That's pretty great for a Fighter. Still, Sega's in this for the money and, with PS2 claiming close to 10 million users now, it's a decent guess that they will hazard the PS2 market again before the Xbox or GameCube markets in spite of their previous success...</font color>

15. HighKing

Re: No VF4E for Xbox May Be No Problem for Xbox... *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Myke

16. HighKing

An MIT graduate student whom I think is named Huang, had discovered the secret in the Xbox's boot-up sequence by building a custom "wiretapping" board that intercepted the data transmitted to and from the central processor during the startup sequence. From there, he was able to figure out the necessary steps to bypass this process, he had published this process on paper.

A modification chip allowing pirates to run illegal copies of Xbox software on the machine and it allows interested parties to run other operating systems, such as Windows competitor Linux.

"If you ship secrets in your hardware," says Huang, "it is a good assumption that the users will eventually--and perhaps quickly--know your secrets."

This is not good news for Microsoft and I don't know what they can do to fix this problem. This could greatly affect software sales in the future.

17. GaijinPunch

Yeah, but this is the game market, not the business software market. You don't get to keep pumping money into the same idea for nearly as long.

18. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Heh whats the difference ?
    Why cant they keep pumping money into it until they succeed ?
    Are there special laws or annything wich states they cant, becaase iff there are not they can and they will .

19. GaijinPunch

Laws of economics, yes. Look at the DC. That was the most innovative console to hit at the time, and still way more innovative than the GC or PS2, and the Xbox to some extent. Sega poured TONS of money into it, and got shit back.

1: Online game -- loads of people in Japan not online until they got a DC. Not millions, but several hundred thousand -- this did help sales a bit.

2: Downloading extras for games. Many games had extra weapons, scenes, music, etc, which could be downloaded into the VMU. This was before online games were out.

3: Online games -- the first one was out well within a year of release, maybe 6 months. Frame Gride was it, to the best of my knowlege.

4: Cool peripherals, even though not everyone would use them. (ISDN adaptor, Dream Eye, Broadband Adaptor)

5: Limited edition controllers & VMUS ( there are loads of these)

6: Point system, which got you some limited edition goods like VMUs & controllers.

7: Dream Library -- download roms (legally -- and not shit hackjobs) of Mega Drive & PC-Engine games and play them on your DC.

Loads of other promotions and whatnot that all took loads of cash to come up with. Sega did more than their fair share of promoting and pumping money into the system, and it bombed.

20. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">That's a truism, Almaci. There is no argument against that...

Business software is necessary because many of us "need" it to survive. Most of us choose it because we "need" it. That's why most of us choose MS to conduct business. Entertainment software is different: it's not necessary and we don't use it to survive. While MS can throw money at it for the next decade, we can as a majority choose not to buy it. Other companies have pumped money into the hardware and software market and that has gained them very little...

I don't know where Dreamcast lost it. I do remember that they had a 9 month window to exploit their advantage over PSX/PSOne and gain a huge following during that time and they did virtually nothing to help themselves. Nintendo64 was also non-active. Did they shirk back when they got a sneak pick at the direction Sony was taking PS2 at E3 that year? Possibly. I was at E3 that year and I remember having a blast playing NBA2k thinking that Dreamcast was on the verge of something big. Soul Calibur was also on display at the time and the demo booths were packed around this bad boy. PS2 was just a twinkle to the rest of us. But Sony did have that funky demo in the middle of their section of the floor room: the one with the duck in the water and the fireworks and the feather flurry. And on the other side of that little pyramid, they had the pre-GT3 demo and I know that was shocking to see for the first time. Nintendo and Sega balked and stammered back then. Maybe they saw the future and they weren't in it...

Just saying this differently for repetition's sake... MS should not be "investing" in Xbox Marketing right now:</font color> <font color="white">Xbox should be "buying".</font color> <font color="lightblue">If their true intention is to rule the world and they have all that money, they should buying people and companies and ideas outright. It's the only sure way that they will get the games and peripherals needed to own the market...</font color>