1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

No VF for xbox?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, May 27, 2002.

1. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Re: No VF4E for Xbox May Be No Problem for Xbox...

Trueism my ass, +yah bussuineses NEED it .
    Then again bussuineses and people GOT IT with Palm, AOL, MacOS, Amiga or whatever .
    MS kept throwing money against it until they had a superior product/pushed the others out of the market/made a profitable niche for themselves .
    Entertainment for those who dont have to fight for survival is a necesity and still a growth market .
    I fail to see the difference between MS goin in handheld markets and taking a decade to become number 1 after everyone said theyd never catch up to entering the console market and trying to achieve the same .

2. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Re: No VF4E for Xbox May Be No Problem for Xbox...

<font color="white">"Are there special laws or annything wich states they cant, becaase iff there are not they can and they will ."</font color>

<font color="lightblue">Almaci, I'm saying that your quote is a truism. My bad for not clarifying that. Sorry for your confusion. Y'know, you could lighten up a little...</font color>

3. Mr. Noisy

Mr. Noisy Well-Known Member

MS bigger than SONY?

I just a bit wonder
    Because everyone says MS has a lot of money to use for the battle
    But...doesn't SONY have that as well?
    I always think that SONY (as a whole) is a bigger company than Microsoft

4. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Re: MS bigger than SONY?

Heh as whole Nintendo probably has the most money to waste, theyre WARCHEST is almost 7 billion dollars big and unlike Sony and MS its for a single bussuines .
    That being said, MS simply has the most money at the bank so to speak .
    Savoy from the way you stated things it looked like you agreed with HighKing, mind you stop agreeing already, not much spice in agreeing .

5. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Let me put it in perspective for you

Sony is spending 250 million on advertising PS2 this holiday. MS spent 500 million on Xbox launch, is spending 2 BILLION for Xbox live, this figure has nothing to do with what MS is going to spend to advertise.

MS is not going anywhere, live with it.

PS: Where ever Evo goes, I'll be there.

6. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Re: Let me put it in perspective for you

The Xbox was dead even before it was born. If you look at the numbers, it'll take years for the Xbox to catch up with the PS2. You can't deny it.

7. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Apple was dead before it was born, just look at the percentage of the market they have .
    They stand no chance, you cant deny that .
    See how silly it sounds, other factors come into the equation as well .
    I dont think annybody here is claiming MS will sell more XBoxes then Sony will sell PS2s .
    They probably wont be able to close the gap either but thats not important, whats important for them and what theyre aiming for is market acceptance and a few dozen millions sold wich will put them in a far better position for the next round of consoles .
    MS is here for the long haul and publishers know that and they also know that even in a third position theyre games can make a lot of money and generate good sales .

8. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

In reply to: "it will take years for xbox to catch playstation 2"
    I disagree it won,t take years it will never catch ps2!

9. HighKing

Why put your biggest franchishes on the Xbox and sell lower than what you expected, when you can put it on the PS2 where you know your popular franchishes will sell a whole lot more. Putting your biggest franchises on the Xbox is a gamble and developers are now starting to figure that out.

10. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Why put out youre biggest franchises on a machine swamped with BETTER games when you can put em on a newer machine and show of yer pretty graphics and with that achieve higher sales then you would have on the best selling machine ?
    Seems to be paying of for Tecmo quite well .
    It can be VERRY rewarding to be the biggest fish in a small pond as opposed to an also swam at a huge sea .

11. HighKing

There's only 2 games on the Xbox right now that's worth buying. Once they see the big fish everyone goes after it. The PS2 can handle lot's of big fishes at once and can still sell a million each. Just look at magic boxes sales chart, not even one Xbox game could crack the top 30.

12. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Thats subjective .
    PGR, JSRF, Gun Valkyrie, Rallisport, Halo etcetera are all out already and exclusive .
    We have games like Panzer Orta, Crazy Taxi high roller, Toe Jam and Earl, Blinx the timesweeper ( from Oshima, the guy who is responsible for a lil videogame character called Sonic ) and the damn best versions of Sega´sports games etcetera all on the way .
    Besides whats youre irrational fixation with sales numbers and especially PS2 sales numbers all about ?
    As a gamer you shouldnt give a flying fuck how much a game sold or how much more it COULD HAVE sold on another platform, what you should care about is the actual game experience and if Evo goin to XBox would mean we get an arcade exact looking or even graphically improved version im all for it .

13. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

While I think X-box isn't a bad machine (besides its size) and that it has some good games, I'm going to stick w/ my first point that some people in this thread are over looking. Games are NOT the same market as business software. UPgrades alsmost never work in game consoles -- you have to make a new console. MS had the edge w/ business software. The more money they pumped in, little by little, more people started to use it. Flushing out the competition, they're dominating in the realm.

With games, they've got what? 5 years max until they need the X-box2. What's that, another $2 billion, on top of the however many billion they've wasted on their first attempt? You can't just shovel money into a system and think it'll win... it doesn't work that way. Throw into the fact that PS2 is extremely popular in all three of it's markets (US, JPN, EUR) that makes it even harder. Not only do you have to sell a bunch of machines & games, you have to convince all the PS2 users (several million) to not buy PS2 games.

In all of the console wars, I don't think anyone has ever stolen the crown from another with relatilvely same spec machines (that's on the assumption that the GC, PS2, & X-box are all considered 'next-gen' machines, although they've undisputedly got varying specs).

Look at the history. SNES/SFC did take a bit to become popular and eventually flush out the competition, but nobody really HAD a big hold on the market before them. Sony stole it from them, but that was with a far superior (spec-wise) machine. PS2 basically just adopted the PSX's legacy.

Seeing that the Japanese market is an extremely key market (I dont' care if you play JPN games or not -- it *DOES* affect you), if you don't win there, you're in deep shit. There's too much profits to be gained not only from game sales, but merchandising as well, which gives you more production costs. Think how much easier it is to budget a game knowing you can hedge yourself on foreign markets. Right now, X-box cannot do that, while the PS2 & GC to an extent, can.

14. HighKing

Almaci - Oh, so your an Xbox person now. Anyway, even with all those big games, your precious Xbox isn't exactly flying off the shelves. Sure, those are good games but if Xbox sales continue, those games will start turning into tetris remakes. Graphics don't matter really, I mean look at the PS1 and N64, the N64 was superior to the PS1 in terms of hardware, but the PS1 dominated in every other aspect. The reason for that is the quality of the games. It's the major advantage the PS2 has over every other console before. Look at the quantity of the quality games, there's so much. And if it weren't for the PS1 and the PS2 there wouldn't be an Xbox , Sony revolutionized video gaming and made it main stream, and quality is what they built their reputation on.

15. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

BULSHIT .

As for this : UPgrades alsmost never work in game consoles

What the hell are you talking about ?
    FFXI for PS2 perhaps ?

16. HighKing

yup, agreed.

17. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

[Look at the history. SNES/SFC did take a bit to become popular and eventually flush out the competition, but nobody really HAD a big hold on the market before them. Sony stole it from them, but that was with a far superior (spec-wise) machine. PS2 basically just adopted the PSX's legacy]

The PSX beat out Nintendo because of superior games and not superior graphics. I mean Jaguar was the first 64 bit console and still got beat out by Nintendo because of the poor games the Jaguar had.

Also look at Sega the Dreamcast had much better graphics the the PSX and Sega still went under so all you X-Box people can stop saying that VF5 should come to the X-Box because the graphics will be better than if it would be on the PS2. Graphics don’t win the war the games do!

18. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Upgrades to systems -- the only company that ever pulled this off was NEC w/ the CD-ROMROM. Then w/ the Duo, & Duo-RX. The MegaCD & 32X failed miserably, as did the NeoGeo CD system, which was basically a CD addon for the NeoGeo... offered very little in terms of quality.

By these laws, M$ can't stick to their "upgrade the shit out of it" theory and win.

And before we get too far into the 'quality' games that PSX had... lemme be the first to say that the only reason they had any is b/c of sheer number released. I'd say the ratio is like 20-1 shit games to good ones for the PSX -- Japanese or US.

I stick w/ my original statement that people wanted something new, didn't want to spend $400 on a saturn, so opted for $300 for a cooler looking PSX, which eventually offered an exponential amount of games.

However, it is true that they mainstreamed it -- that's how they won. Now that games are so mainstream, companies have to go with other tactics to win -- something Microsoft has yet to do.

19. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Actually, Neo-CD was a separate system, not an addon. It was designed for people who wanted to play arcade exact conversions of Neo games without dropping huge wads of cash for the carts. Unfortunately the load times on it were heinous. I remembver a friend telling me how it was about 20 seconds for a KoF95 match. Ack.

20. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

And its the PS2 that needs the add ons, not the XBox .The XBox already has a broadband connection, four controller ports and a hard drive .
    Things you need to buy add ons for on the PS2 .

Oh and no im not an XBox person .
    I just dont like it when people disregard good games becouse theyre not on theyre system of choice.