1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

noob ques: cross-ups

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by agios_katastrof, Apr 19, 2002.

1. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm a VF noob.

Question: do cross-ups exist in VF4, and if so, do they play a significant part in gameplay? I ask, because the other day I did Lei-Fei's flying kick (I think f,f+K+G), as my opponent was getting up. The opponent was trying a rising kick. But my Lei sorta ended up slightly behind the guy, and nailed him.

Is this a common occurrence/tactic, or did I just imagine things, or am I a forever 2-D game playing scrub?

Much appreciated. Thx.

2. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

no, you're right...they exist in gameplay, but not to the same extent as SF, as not everyone can do it as effectively, and in VF4, most people would prefer okizeme or backstaggering...the application is about the same though; knock the opponent down with a non-QR/TRable attack, then do some funky move to cross across them as they are getting up in hoping that they will whiff their attack. it's called urawarami(could've spelled that wrong) or ura; try doing a search on it using the search engine and see with what you come up with. i'm not a ura expert; ask others.

3. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

whoops; i meant end up behind the opponent; the whiffed rising attack is an extra, but happens most of the time.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

What you did (Lei's ff+K+G over a rising opponent) is an example of "uramawari", where the rising kick goes the wrong way when you do a move that bodycrosses the opponent. That the flying kick hit the reverse side of the rising attack is a consequence of hit-detection; it's not the same as a crossover from the standpoint that it's not a question of blocking forwards or backwards. In VF, remember, you just have a G button and your guard levels are standing and crouching.

Pretty much every character has ura tools -- Pai has uf+K, Kage has b+P, etc... and most characters can also jump over a downed opponent, or time a knee to miss the hit detection of a rising kick and end up at an angle or facing the back of the opponent. What ura leads to is an opponent rising with a kick facing the wrong direction... which you can then punish accordingly (for Lei Fei, back exposed tiger stance P yields a rushing palm, which is functionally equivalent to his ff+P).

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Ah, much thx!