1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

noob ques2: reversals

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by agios_katastrof, Apr 22, 2002.

1. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Hello, VF noob here, again.

Question: How the heck do you pull off reversals? I mean, yes, I know the command executions, and against the Kumite AI, I can do it with decent success after memorizing their sequence of moves. But against people, no way. The other day, I went against a bunch of button mashers, and one good SF player, also new to VF. And for the life of me, I must have had perhaps a 10% successful reversal rate, and this was using Aoi and Vanessa. Sigh. Rather embarrassing, since I'm trying to tell these guys that this isn't a button mashing game. Not a very good VF4 evangelist am I.

At first, I thought the reversals were something like parries in SF, or like those reversal moves that Cammy, Rock, etc have. In those games, I can see a move coming, and parry/reversal on reaction. In VF4, the moves just come too fast, and I just can't see them coming. And everything happens at point blank range, too, making reversals harder (yes, I'm a 2D game playing scrub, trying to make it in the 3D world).

So how the heck do you guys reverse successfully? Are there ways to setup a reversal (like setting up a throw, which fortunately for me, isn't all that different from SF) ? Or to put it another way, how the heck do you use Aoi correctly?

Again, much thx.

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Unlike 2D style, you can't reverse on reaction. If you can see it coming, you can get much better damage with an MC float combo. If you want to show off Aoi, just enter YY stance after everything, catch the easy-to-anticipate high or mid move, then nail them with an f+KK in the back. It's usually a good idea to buffer in a reversal like a throw escape if your opponent has a favorite counter tool, but mostly, it's just anticipating the next move.

3. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Thx. More and more, I'm realizing that I have to get rid of my SF mindset. Easier said than done. Sigh. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

After a YY parry, does Aoi have an advantage? I tried the YY stance against the button mashers, yeah, sure I parried the incoming move, but quite often, they'd hit me with some back move, before I could make use of the YY parry. Perhaps I'm just too slow. Sigh, yet again.

Btw, I just realized that these topics are in the wrong forum. Sorreee. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif