1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

North UK VF thread

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by LM_Akira, Aug 20, 2003.

1. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Well I said I'd try to get a thread running so here it is.I know of only a few people on here who live in the north of the UK ( Pinking,Elite,Hiddenevil,Blessed-entopy and Maximum ( well the last two are in scotland ) ) but not many more.Hopefully people can use this thread to get in touch and ultimately meet up to play some evo.

Unfourtunately I for one don't have the money or time to make trips down south to meet up and play against the decent competition london has to offer.Hopefully the idea of this thread is to root out any other north UK players ( sorry forgot ura-bahn too , he's in wales I think ) at this site so that we could sort out something of a " North UK VF scene " as it were.

I haven't much more to say on the subject at the moment as I know of only a few players willing to meet up as of yet so please people, if you're in the area add your comments or whatever and lets get something done about it!

Cheers,

Chris

2. pinking

pinking Well-Known Member

Hey all!
    Big up to csnape for getting this post started!
    Yeah man i think I'm in the same boat as you man. I don't have the time or the money to be making long trips down south, so I say lets get the ball rolling up here in the north!
    If you guys were to start anything up here then I think I would do my best to try and make it, surely the players we have up here must be of a decent class!
    I have seen a lot of movies (about 98% that has been posted on this site /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif) and I can say that there are a lot of people getting together and having some good old fashion fun. This is really good to see, but I have not seen many from this country which actually dissapoints me! There are hundreds of thousands of Tekken players in this country but not a lot of VFers /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif, which is very sad to see. The worst part was that when I went to buy VF4E from GAME on that Friday....I was the only one who had purchased that game! That was so dissapointing. So all you UK peeps it is up to us guys to keep the VF scene alive in this country!
    LONG LIVE VF!!! (sorry if I got a bit carried away /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

3. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

I can sympathise. (see my recent vf players in scotland topic that sank like a stone)

Starting this topic is a good step though, just recently I've been really trying to start a scene here in scotland and while it's been hardwork it's looking like it might just pay off.

Having just a couple DEDICATED players can take you far. (Look at florida)

Unfortunatly though as far as the uk goes london is more than likely always going to be THE place to go and play. It's a good thing I like train journeys.

4. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

The trouble with trying to band players together in the "North UK" is that this covers quite a big geographical area. Getting from Scotland to Liverpool, say, is just as much hassel as going to London, and it's not any cheaper /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That said, it would be cool if us "northerners" could get together sometime and play some games.

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    I'm up for travelling to any gathering you guys organise up here provided it's pre-planned so I can get some time off work. Sounds like it could be cool.

6. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    MAXIMUM said:

Getting from Scotland to Liverpool, say, is just as much hassel as going to London, and it's not any cheaper /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a large point I was going to mention. For us if we're going to go to the hassle of travelling to play, we might as well go to london where we're going to have a better range of competition available.

7. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    It must suck to be Scottish

8. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Elite said:

It must suck to be Scottish

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying, but I can't seem to find your point.

9. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Try harder

10. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

Unless your point is that you're a total fucking idiot I'm afraid it's flying completely over my head.

11. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    That would be the latter then..... My point was that it's inconvenient to have to travel to London from all the way up there when you want to fight good opponents.

Nice work with the profanity though, it really added depth to your post...

12. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

Eh, you had every chance to explain your meaning with the 'try harder' post. You chose not to. Strangely I'm not going to lose sleep over calling you a fucking idiot.

13. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Maybe I would have if your post previous to my "try harder" post didn't have such sarcastic tones.

Anyway, this isn't what this thread is about. If you want to insult me then do in a private message.

14. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

Seriously arguing is retarded and I'm happy to let bygones be bygones.

But let's face facts you made an exceptionally vague statement that could easily be taken in a number of bad ways.

Ensue misunderstanding. Equal blame all round let's move on.

15. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Yeah, I agree.

Anyway I was wondering how often you manage to actually go down to London to play. Are you a student so it's just a case of go when you want to, or do you have a full-time job or something?

16. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

Now we have a happy thread again. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm a jobless bum at the moment so I have the luxury of not having to fuck with my schedule.

It's really not THAT expensive. Book the train ticket a couple weeks in advance and you're looking a about £50 quid travel expenses. Early morning train down, get the sleeper back at about 11, back home around the time you left the previous day.

Only been once so far. (july this year) but planning to do it every few months from now on. MAXIMUM and I have tentative plans to go mid september. It is a hassle, but it's well woth it imo.

17. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Sounds decent. I think I'm about halfway between you and London so the time thing wouldn't be as much of a problem for me. Having to plan time off work is a bitch though. Since I only get 20 days off a year it's hard to waste them on day trips like that. It's certainly doable though just not as often as I'd like. The idea of a gathering closer to Leeds is far more appealing so I like the idea of this thread alot.

Here's hoping a lot of other people share my sentiments.

18. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

It's a fucking pain in the ass but it's a sad fact that outside of japan.

Real interest in vf = travelling.

Goood luck with the north of england action.

Amma go bed now.

19. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Cheers for the replies guys...for a minute there I thought I 'd lost track of what the thread was about...then thankfully you brought it back on topic.

Yes I must admit I didn't think about trying to group together a scene from Liverpool and Scotland.I'll be in Manchester most the the year anyway and thats proabably where I'd try to sort stuff out ( back to uni in a month ).I suppose I was kinda hoping that there'd be more players around the larger northern places like Liverpool,Manchester,Leeds,Newcastle etc...who were on VFDC but had not disclosed details in their profiles as it were.

Travel to London for me would be a serious hassle due to work , money and time .I don't drive or have a car making things more of a pain.I only had 2 players to play vf with all this year.One guy was a decent standard who'd played all the series ( I've begged him to join VFDC but to no avail /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and another guy who liked to just mess around with it from time to time.With SC2 soon out over here I hope we don't lose more numbers to it.

Manchester isn't too far from Merseyside ( Hiddenevil ) Leeds ( Elite ) or Bradford ( Pinking ) so hopefully we could all work something out.Like it was said up the post its better to have a few decent , commited players to play against than none at all ( well its something like that ).Just look at Duke Netrom and Raider and all the other guys that live in north europe. Hopefully I can get a few of my mates interested or better still find some more players already here.

20. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Yea, might be more realistic trying to arrange a gathering for north England players, because, as we already mentioned, "north UK" is a bloody huge area.

You never know, we could even manage a Scotland vs North England tourney one day. We can then find out if Elite's VF play is as sniping as his posts.