1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Nurturing a young akira

Discussion in 'Akira' started by geR, Jun 13, 2005.

1. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Shun v Akira is a fancy matchup...really one of my favorites in the whole game...the matador/bull analogy of akiralove's is quite apt & is exactly the dynamic I feel when facing Shun.

Generally, watch using rising kicks getting up as shun's [4][K]+[G] more or less owns them all. Even if the animation for shun's kicks have finished, the move can be "on" as it were & you will get knocked down again. So be careful if/when shun crowds you after a knockdown.

If Shun's back is to the ring edge his [3] throw will put you out the ring but your [3] throw break will push HIM out.

Know how to sober shun. [4][6][P] takes two drinks...[1][6][P]+[G] takes one & [4][3][P] takes one. If you can finish a round with a sidekick or other move which leaves shun standing, [4][6][P],[4][6][P], [4][3][P] will sober to the tune of 5 drinks in open stance...I think this is still good info for FT. A good yoho combo for shun in closed stance is yoho, [P], [4][6][P], dbpm. In open stance I like to go yoho, p, shrm, [6][6][K][K] but if you waste frames the second kick won't hit & this combo doesn't sober...I also don't know what hit type you need for it to work in FT...it's nice to hit shun 5 times in a row though /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Watch out! when shun has 10 drinks or more he becomes really nasty. Chief amongst his weapons (especially v akira) at this point is his [4][P]+[K] which can catch any of aki's single handed attacks...sgpm, de, sde, p are all eaten by this move...lots of shun players however (LOTS of shun players...I've seen the phenomenon more than a few times in japanese matches) love to use the move to announce their arrival upon the 10 drink plateau. This move is really slow. Doublepalm it. Knee it. Shrm it. If you don't like that risk, use [4][6][P]+[K] (which is great in general vs shun, especially one that likes to run away and drink...you're arguably in a better position if he blocks it than if you hit him since akira does just fine playing a few frames down thankyou very much...before the 10 drink plateau [4][6][P]+[K]+[G] is also a better move for aki against shun than it is v anyone else...yes, shun's inashi auto throw eats this move too). Shun's also got his 270 throw now, which ends in [6] & gives him drinks (unlike the other [6] throw from 3 or 6 drinks, which sobers).

Shun's goofy handstand kick thing beats pretty much any kick in the game except Goh's [K]...just so you know /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...and you can [6][6][K][K] shun out of that roll that he does...but I'm not responsible for any of your blocked DJK's.

Maybe some of this will be useful to you.

[ QUOTE ]
    Just copy Danny's Akira!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm. Yeah! Lucky fella, you!

And Vanity...I started a fight once with DBC. Phoenixdth laughed at me. It helped give me & my city a bad reputation.

Use this move 1) after a successful evade which has taken you off-axis & your opponent is still attacking (this is where the really big damage comes from...akiralove owns the american patent for this technique) 2) with various timing and with or without a sidestep after [2][1][4][P] hits...it isn't reliable but i think it's still max damage 3) after dbpm hits someone into a wall & you really really want to bodycheck or you've practiced and know you will knock them out...if you don't knock them out they can TR & start their comeback. 4) you KNOW you'll get a counterhit & wanna be oldschool.

EDIT
    Most difficult inputs or combos in the game can be made easier if you key on the sound of the move/combo. The [2_][6][P][P], spod, dlc, as3, kage dragon punch combo and a whole lot more all have a sound the character makes or a sound effect for the move itself...key the buttons to the rhythm of the sound and you'll find greater input success!

2. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    [ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

i don't think it's a good round starter, but when i was a scrub i know i used that a lot, and i know it worked.

really, backdash is only good round starter as far as i'm concerned for vs play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why suggest bad strategies you used "when you were a scrub" to other new players? Surely teaching him the ones that don't suck would be more helpful.

3. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

because that's the path i took to get decent, doing stuff like that at the beginning of the round to score any damage i could. but then i realized even if it worked 50% of the time (which it doesn't, no offesnive technique will, not even close), it's not worth it.

whereas backdash shoudl work almost 100% of the time - so please do that /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

4. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I HOP KICK as a round opener /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    whereas backdash shoudl work almost 100% of the time - so please do that

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you completely ignore akiralove's post about how he likes to punish round-start backdash with a sidekick? There's tons of other things that destroy backdashes, such as dash in throw, double palm, Kage's [6][6][K]+[G] (if you wanna be REALLY cheeky), etc. There's no strategy in this game that's even close to "almost 100%". VF is built on yomi, so the only truly 100% strategy is to always guess right. As far as that goes, not a one of the top flight Japanese players always guesses right. After all, if I could take a round from Chibita and Kofu Megane in Evo2k3, doesn't that say something about the non-existence of foolproof strategies?

My strategy suggestion to you is to post less and play the game more.

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Vanity wrote:

"Personally, I don't recall the last time I saw anyone start off any round with an offensive technique."

OK, so what are you backdashing away from then? /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just want to clarify that I never suggested someone should use the DE or SDE EVERY time, I'm not sure why you thought that. They're great round openers, but like anything, you can't become predictable with them. That's why I mentioned other things, like Dash-Throw, Middle Kick, etc.

SDE offers HUGE reward on counter hit at Ready, Go!: about 1/3 of the life guage if followed with 66KK or 2_6PP.

In the big scheme of things, I was trying to give advice that would get a "Young Akira" into the game, to have to think about Yomi, Risk/Reward etc. Ready, Go is the PERFECT time to practice this: it's the only time when the fight is basically paused. You know exactly where your oppt is, he's not moving (yet), and in range of several awesome moves: DE, SDE, Yoho, SPOD, 46+P, and yes, even the bodycheck (although at this position & time, it's really more of a guts way to say "I'm owning you!"; Sanjuro pointed out when it's best: after a dodge, nailing a string. Add another slow P to finish 66+P+K,P if you're playing FT and mess up the command at all). Or you can go defensive: Dodge, Backdash, Aki's 1+P+K+G, Reversal, Sabaki, Crouching Dash etc.

Point is, there's no right answer, but IMO, if you start with backing up every time, you're taking yourself out of the game, and wasting an opportunity not only for damage, but to have fun. I LOVE Ready, Go, because with the people I play with regularly, it's this kind of conversation that's been going on for years: what we do at that moment. It's always fun to see who wins. If you back up all the time, you'll never be able to feel the joy of "Ready, Go! Hu,HU HA!!!" (oppt tried to throw you, or dodged to your back {avoiding your SDE /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif}).

Does Akira seem like someone who runs away?

Bryan

7. geR

geR Member

ah thanks alot guys, very very useful information ! yeah, playing it almost everyday too.

8. Enigmas002

Enigmas002 Member

Im Also new to akira well i've been playing him for awhile, but Im about to make the switch for pad to Arcade stick in a couple of days so hes going to be back at Square 1 again. I was just wondering when is the ideal time to use SPOD. I only use it when I know the opponents about to throw or I land a [4][P][K][G]. I Also can never get it when the opponets [P] Throws or [2][P] Throws.

9. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    SPOD is the only move he has that is half circular in that direction. All other moves can be evaded to his back so you can try and condition your opponent into evading to your back by using moves likes [4][6][P]+[K] and then catch them with SPOD.

It's also got decent range so you can try it after a backdash sometimes.

Just don't over-use it since it's pretty counterable if guarded.

10. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    just incase people are playing FT, his new [6][6]+[P]+[K],[P] also must be dodged to his front side, like the SPOD.

11. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    sanjuro said:

Know how to sober shun. [4][6][P] takes two drinks...[1][6][P]+[G] takes one & [4][3][P] takes one. If you can finish a round with a sidekick or other move which leaves shun standing, [4][6][P],[4][6][P], [4][3][P] will sober to the tune of 5 drinks in open stance...I think this is still good info for FT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, [4][6][P] takes only one drink in FT.

12. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    [ QUOTE ]
    akiralove said:

just incase people are playing FT, his new [6][6]+[P]+[K],[P] also must be dodged to his front side, like the SPOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, didn't know that. Evo only here /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

I don't really know much about Akira, but I have been speaking to Vanity via PM, and he says that he can beat Ryan Hart, Chibita, Ohsu e.t.c. so I am thinking it would be wise to listen to him. I personally think that varying the round-starters is the best strategy. When I play Jacky I either use my fastest move, my most powerful 'safe' combo starter, a low move or a back dash. (occasionally I dash-in throw).
    I think that if Vanity is better than the Japan players, then he must know what he is talking about.
    I remain neutral, having very little knowledge of Akira.

14. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Welcome to VF FT AkanAkira, please check out our SG thread at Jamboree for regular meetings at Bugis arcade. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

15. Donkey_Shun

Donkey_Shun Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

I don't really know much about Akira, but I have been speaking to Vanity via PM, and he says that he can beat Ryan Hart, Chibita, Ohsu e.t.c. so I am thinking it would be wise to listen to him. I personally think that varying the round-starters is the best strategy. When I play Jacky I either use my fastest move, my most powerful 'safe' combo starter, a low move or a back dash. (occasionally I dash-in throw).
    I think that if Vanity is better than the Japan players, then he must know what he is talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Action shows all... while there's alot of mountains discovered doesn't means there's no more higher mountains... /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif from Vanity's style.. back crouch dash.. might be almost 100% best solution for him, on the other way round... it might be almost 100% best chances for others to spank him. Creativeness,timings and trickery of skills display for individual would be the best solutions... from my points of view. From my previous experience of akira in the past... oftens i'll do a SDE @ the start if the opponent like to rush back... , will do reversing if i get the feeling that opponent's coming in fast... or the most lame method which i always use if i encounter an opponents which can't make up his or her mind.. "i'll rush in with a [P], [4][6][P]+[G] /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Tsuujin

Tsuujin Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade or anything cos I'm all up for giving people credit for being good at VF and stuff. However, who is Vanity??? I've never played anyone by that name, and even if I may have, I don't remember anyone actually good at VF called Vanity, that I know of anyway and unless he's been to Japan I doubt he's ever beaten Chibita or Ohsu. Anyway, if he has to say that in his post, it means he isn't well known so he can't be all that anyway. I doubt you would ever get Minami or Segal going around saying "I can beat Arashi"! Or "I can beat Homestay"! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Woah, I never said that! (See http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/129683/an/0/page/0#129683 And Mr. Hart, I'm sure you could beat me... it's just that I digress that anyone could absolutely destroy me. The only conflict is that pretty much everyone here thinks I haven't made that "VF leap", due to my lack of human competition, whereas, I think I have.

(But this is over now, stop worrying, jeez! Hopefully I haven't stirred up the pot again, I just don't want Ryan of all people hating on me.)

18. DragonCop

DragonCop Well-Known Member

I hate playing against Akira in Arcade Mode becuase he repeats the same Body Pounding moves over and over again.
    One of the few fighters that could probably beat Akira easily are: Wolf Hawkfield , Lau Chan,Kage-Maru, Jacky Bryant and Sarah Bryant.

19. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Look dipshit. You live in Toronto don't you?

GO AND PLAY SOMEONE.

20. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

Woah, I never said that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you did, you said it to me in a PM when I asked you about your quote so stop lying. You said that when you watch the top players fight, you can see what the are doing wrong, and that you could beat them because your game doesn't have these flaws. I was quite shocked to hear this, so I asked you if you ment the BEST PLAYERS (and I even name a few, Ohsu, Homestay, Chibita), and you said yes, because you can see what they do wrong, and you don't do those things.
    I really do not understand why you are lying about this, you know and I know that you said it, so just be a man and admit it......