1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Nurturing a young ego

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by vanity, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Re: Nurturing a young akira

Kiwe, Sanjuro, come on now that's enough bashing. Obviously by now Vanity has learned his lesson so easy on the insults.

And as Kiwe said, if he really is as good as he says then he should go to a tourney or something, beat the sh*t out of everyone and tape it to prove it.

Instead of going on about how "this is the best or worst opener" and arguing about what everyone else does we should focus on the topic at hand and that's helping out akinakira with his questions; if we let this blow out of proportion everytime we disagreed on a certain technique we would be at eachothers throats if we were face to face instead of posting on VFDC.

So how about we do this, we go ahead and play VF the way each person "feels" like playing. If you want to open with a DBC go ahead, if you want to open with a backdash, a SPoD, or a motherf**king hopkick then by all means go ahead! The only way to really know if you sh*t works is to prove your sh*t in VS play. So enough of this, let's focus on the main thing here: playing VF your own way.

2. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

WTF IS SHANG WHEN YOU NEED HIM!?

DAMN YOU MEAT BRING BACK THE VF SANITY!

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THERE IS NO BALANCE BTW MORONS & FLAMERS!

SOMEONE PLZ STOP THE MADNESS PLZ!

/me cries from reading such stupidity

3. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku

[ QUOTE ]
    Akira_PH said:

Kiwe, Sanjuro, come on now that's enough bashing. Obviously by now Vanity has learned his lesson so easy on the insults.

And as Kiwe said, if he really is as good as he says then he should go to a tourney or something, beat the sh*t out of everyone and tape it to prove it.

Instead of going on about how "this is the best or worst opener" and arguing about what everyone else does we should focus on the topic at hand and that's helping out akinakira with his questions; if we let this blow out of proportion everytime we disagreed on a certain technique we would be at eachothers throats if we were face to face instead of posting on VFDC.

So how about we do this, we go ahead and play VF the way each person "feels" like playing. If you want to open with a DBC go ahead, if you want to open with a backdash, a SPoD, or a motherf**king hopkick then by all means go ahead! The only way to really know if you sh*t works is to prove your sh*t in VS play. So enough of this, let's focus on the main thing here: playing VF your own way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it helps akinakira and every other new player more to tell them useful techniques and strategies instead of just saying "play the game however you feel like it". And regardless of play style some things just suck. DBC as a round opener is one of them.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

[ QUOTE ]
    Elite said:

I think it helps akinakira and every other new player more to tell them useful techniques and strategies instead of just saying "play the game however you feel like it". And regardless of play style some things just suck. DBC as a round opener is one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

If someone off the street asks you for directions, how helpful would it be if you just replied with, "Just go down whatever street you feel like" ? On the other hand, if you overhear someone giving bad directions then there's nothing wrong with interjecting with better directions and reasons why.

To Akira_PH:
    In general, just stay out of a discussion, however heated, if your only contribution is to ask everyone to stop what they're doing. To put it more simply: mind your own business. Ultimately you do more harm than good.

To KFsmurf:
    You are really trying my patience. Every time Akira_PH rubs your sack and makes it itch, must you cry like a bitch for Shang to scratch it? If you really miss him that much then maybe I can help you join him. Dude, seriously cut this shit out, or I will.

5. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

i really don't see myself getting any better.

i feel like i've peaked, and i feel like i know all there is to know for my mains.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little late, but I am just curious as to why you think that, because you have hit YOUR PERSONAL BEST, that you are somehow as good as the best of the best of the best (sir, with honours..).
    I mean, when I was playing on a pad, I hit the best that I could, but there were still people who were better. Now that I am on a stick I am slowly improving, but I will hit my peak at some time; and I am 99% sure that when I do, there will still be people who are better than me.

In short, your personal best does not translate to the best that anyone can be.
    Your best is not as good as someone else's best......

6. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Kiwe - I don't use bodychecks as round openers, period. I never once said that I do. So, if you're going to bash me, at least don't twist my words (trust me, there's more than enough material). Regarding kyasao, it was a while ago, and I did make a post about it in the media section, and got bashed for it (rightfully so). And my brother is 19.

Myke - Yes, it's true , you're probably right. But again, I almost refuse to believe that there can be a better way to play. I very much understand that my opinion will have little weight due to my lack of tourney experience, but I'm just having a hard time accepting that my game is "incomplete" in some way.

Sanjuro - lol, it's not about running away, it's about punishing the other guy if they go for something really stupid as a round opener. (ie: a body check /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) Although, I do apologize if you see my presence in... as described.

Ev2 - Another good (great!) point, but again I feel as if I've peaked - and that there can be no better. And just writing that sounds like ignorance - and it is. But, I do truly believe it.

7. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

And you are basing this opinion only on the evidence seen in videos of other people playing?

8. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

" I almost refuse to believe that there can be a better way to play."

Excuse me? Wow, what a slap in the face to whoever has even taken their game to the next level. Do me a favor and go fuck yourself.

"I very much understand that my opinion will have little weight due to my lack of tourney experience, but I'm just having a hard time accepting that my game is "incomplete" in some way."

Go play Godeater, BMF, Llanfair, etc and see how incomplete and full of shit your "game" is...

9. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    but I'm just having a hard time accepting that my game is "incomplete" in some way.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Problem is everyone is having a hard time accepting that your game is "complete" without some sort of weight or evidence behind your statements.
    Which at the end of day are just pointless (The statements), as anyone could come on here saying they are the best etc, what point does it serve except to boost (Falsely) one's ego?
    The orginal goal of this thread was to learn and better they way someone plays Akira, and to be honest I think the problems arised when you yourself tried to give advice which may have not been the best due to your lack of human experience.
    If you really feel your an elite player, why not let your playing do the talking instead of making claims here which are just gonna aggravate certain people here (try to think of all the hard work/battles/torni's etc people have put into being good at vf to have you throw it in their face by more or less saying "I know better Fuck experience I PWN you!").

10. kungfusmurf

[ QUOTE ]
    To KFsmurf:
    You are really trying my patience. Every time Akira_PH rubs your sack and makes it itch, must you cry like a bitch for Shang to scratch it? If you really miss him that much then maybe I can help you join him. Dude, seriously cut this shit out, or I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh you really care after all & about you banning me > /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

11. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Vanity you've played very few people AFAIK, so I doubt you're anywhere near a peak of any kind. Here's a laundry list of things to practice.

Make sure you can knee in wall combos 100% and do stumble throw -> sngplm -> dblplm 100%.

Make sure you can box step cleanly.

Make sure you can use SPOD 100%, and use as reverse nitaku.

Akira's shrm goes through many characters' elbows at disadvantage. These properties are stance specific, and differ between characters, so learn which elbows you can aviod from which characters, and in which stance.

You must be able to block a low P and SDE at the fastest speed consistently. If someone can randomly low P x2 while you're blocking and get away with it, you're too slow.

After a P-counterable move like shrm, dblplm, or yoho, make sure you can DTEG, then EDTEG on reaction if they do a single P.

Make sure you can do EDTEG on reaction after getting hit by a random high P or low P. For example, you dblplm from range, and a high P interrupts. You must be able to react with EDTEG and be able to do it cleanly.

Make sure you can ARE with yoho 100% after DE, snglplm -> DE, and dbl fist strike get blocked.

12. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

ev2 - pretty much

jerky - alright, i will make it my goal to play those guys by the end of the summer.

whoa whoa dandy, who said akira was one of my mains? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

but in complete honesty, i can safely say that i can ETTEG cleanly at least 90% of the time. (well actually that's a lie, my guard only comes out about 70% of the time, but it's an incredibly rare occasion that I won't hit 3 escapes per evade)

the rest of things you mentioned (knee execution, single palm - double palm, spod on reaction) could all use some work, but are still pretty reliable.

im not sure if i can SDE at fastest speed consistently, ill try that later tonight.

13. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:

Vanity you've played very few people AFAIK, so I doubt you're anywhere near a peak of any kind. Here's a laundry list of things to practice.

Make sure you can knee in wall combos 100% and do stumble throw -> sngplm -> dblplm 100%.

Make sure you can box step cleanly.

Make sure you can use SPOD 100%, and use as reverse nitaku.

Akira's shrm goes through many characters' elbows at disadvantage. These properties are stance specific, and differ between characters, so learn which elbows you can aviod from which characters, and in which stance.

You must be able to block a low P and SDE at the fastest speed consistently. If someone can randomly low P x2 while you're blocking and get away with it, you're too slow.

After a P-counterable move like shrm, dblplm, or yoho, make sure you can DTEG, then EDTEG on reaction if they do a single P.

Make sure you can do EDTEG on reaction after getting hit by a random high P or low P. For example, you dblplm from range, and a high P interrupts. You must be able to react with EDTEG and be able to do it cleanly.

Make sure you can ARE with yoho 100% after DE, snglplm -> DE, and dbl fist strike get blocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. Awesome, dude.

Vanity,

Ever heard of the flog inside of the well story? When you do get out and get some real experinces, you will look back and laugh at what you've said in this thread.
    I've been there and done that myself.

14. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Maddy, my friend. You are a champion at life, but a fucking loser at flaming.

"I've been there and done that myself."

WHAT IS THIS.... SYMPATHY?

As a man once told me... you just gotta-GET THE FEAR OUT OF YOUR HEART AND PUNCH 'EM IN THE FACE! /versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif

15. kungfusmurf

Vanity, trust me when I say this for like the billionth time from all the morons that has come through here & couldn't even last a year playing VF after they've played real ppl.

BOY, YOU'RE TALKING OUT YOUR ASS & EVERYONE HERE IS GOING TO ENJOY BEATING YOU DOWN LIKE THE MORONIC NEWBIE THAT YOU ARE. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Reason: You've insult the level that's require to play VF & the ppl who love it.

16. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Myke, all I was trying to say was that the main topic of helping akinakira was being forgotten and that people were getting lost in their rush to flame. If I seemed a bit like a bitch I apologize but I just didn't like the way people were being jerks since most of us already explained the errors of opening with the wrong move. I again apologize for being a bitch.

And smurf I just have one thing to say: play me in real life and then talk sh*t.

17. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

"yeah the name actually comes from my unreal tournament experiences - where i was also the cockiest sonofabitch around. the difference was there was online play in ut, so i could back up my mouth with relative ease - and did so very often!"

hey wanna battle 1 on 1 in UT2k4? Pm me /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:

Ever heard of the frog inside of the well story?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you Maddy,.. I hope.... Otherwise I don't know what kinky inbreed bdsm thingy you're refering 2 m8. /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/KiwE

19. kungfusmurf

[ QUOTE ]
    And smurf I just have one thing to say: play me in real life and then talk sh*t.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look you little fucking punk, my response was to vanity. But if you want a piece of the action here's some for u too. You want to play me fine show up or shutup, NYC GameTimeNation, so look it up bitch & show your skillz. I'm so eager to see the greatness that is AkiraPH. Boy, you haven't even started your road on learning VF & you're already talking shit to me who's one of the nicest guys here. b/c you're just another newbie who hasn't even meet a decent player in VF. Let's see how long you're going to last playing this game. There has been much better ppl than you who have played this game & retired within a year.

For the record I suck the most here in NYC & so plz take it easy on me ok?

20. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sudden_Death said:

"yeah the name actually comes from my unreal tournament experiences - where i was also the cockiest sonofabitch around. the difference was there was online play in ut, so i could back up my mouth with relative ease - and did so very often!"

hey wanna battle 1 on 1 in UT2k4? Pm me /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I played ut'99 and ut2k3. UT'99 I played mostly instagib (Hit #1 on provinggrounds ladder with 10 game win streak, came 3rd place in 64 man tourney after being knocked into losers bracket 2nd round against a hacker). Oh, only if you guys could read those threads at provinggrounds would you know that the stuff i say here is nothing compared to the trash i talked there.

UT2k3... lol, my computer is 950 mhz and 128 RAM. Yet I still managed to play and have a pretty good time. Went to WCG qualies and went 1-2. (Lost to my online training buddy AofH and this guy i talked shit to online in like mid 2002 handoffury - i apologized to him in person)

So yeah, played ut2k4 demo, never got into it, I'm not too big a fan of vehicles, and the gameplay seemed too much like ut2k3 (that's a bad thing).